Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Torque for shocks??  (Read 4918 times)

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
Re: Torque for shocks??
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 01:05:52 AM »

So you are setting at the softest setting and only having to go 2 turns or so and not have a bottoming out issues?  Boy, I liked the ride 3 turns off the stiffest, I can't imagine how lurxurious this is gonna be the other way around, thanks guys, gotta go adjust some shocks! [smiley=bigok.gif]
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 07:16:35 PM »

Tater, Tater, Tater

Bet you were one of those guys that said in the early 80's
"Cell phone, I don't need no stinkin cell phone. If God had intended us to talk on cell phones then he wouldn't have put cords on them"

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hd2003,
 You're right, Chip!  In 1980 I was tryin' to get a set of 5" Pistons in some Shovelhead Barrells! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  All you clowns need to realize that the wobble you're gettin', is caused by the turbulence being produced by my "Led Sled" sandblastin' your a$$es!  Come on, get you a "BIG MOTOR" with some BIG PISTONS, and come on up here and experience the leadership! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 08:07:08 PM »

So you are setting at the softest setting and only having to go 2 turns or so and not have a bottoming out issues?  Boy, I liked the ride 3 turns off the stiffest, I can't imagine how lurxurious this is gonna be the other way around, thanks guys, gotta go adjust some shocks! [smiley=bigok.gif]

Striker, take the shocks to zero preload by turning the ring counter-clockwise as far as it will go.  It will make a positive stop, don't worry about going too far.  Maybe you said your weight somewhere and I forgot, but I would think you don't need to go any farther than two turns (clockwise) preload with the 12" HD's to avoid bottomiing, probably less.  It is really just trial and error, though, to find the setting you like the best.  One last thing, you should not have the kind of difference on the marks from side to side that you're talking about as long as you start from the "zero" setting and adjust from there the same number of turns or partial turns.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 09:36:20 PM »

103, you would be right about not have the difference, remember I was cranking them down all the way, and back off from there.  If I am starting with them in the outermost setting (softest) it shouldn't be an issue.
I still wonder [smiley=nixweiss.gif] why they don't go down equally to the stop point when totally compressed.  Anyone else ever cranked theirs all the way down?
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 09:49:33 PM »

I got tired of cranking after I got to about six turns on each side.  They hadn't bottomed out yet and I didn't feel like going any farther, especially knowing me and mama liked the ride at 3 1/2 turns.

How many turns are you getting out of each side, Striker?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.