Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: Myrtle Beach Lawsuit  (Read 14472 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Myrtle Beach Lawsuit
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2008, 11:22:04 PM »

From Jamin Leather

That's great! Only problem is that Horry County wants to adopt the same laws.

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2008, 07:56:23 AM »

@#$% MB.  Was there in 07.  Cops hassled everybody. North Ocean Blvd was closed.  They forced all traffic onto Bus. 17.  What a nightmare, constant traffic jams.
  I spoke to several employees of local businesses.  Seems most of the t-shirt, food, and trinket stores are owned by foreigners anyway.  I was told most of the local young people are leaving because the new owners supply thier own labor.  Well thats another subject.

New Hope, PA pulled the same stunt several years ago.  It was not an event ride, but more of an all summer biker hangout.  Most of the business catered to our crowd and we spent a fortune.  Well the city fathers (in thier great wisdom) they wanted a more posh and swanky town and forced the bikers out.  The traffic moves so slow the cops actually ride bicycles and carry decible meters.  You actually get pulled over by a bicycle!  Me and the misses stopped going there completely on a bike or in a cage.  They can kiss my @#$.
  There are many places that want my green and my scooter don't care where I ride, only that I do.  So ride on my brothers.  The compass has four directions.  Visit them all. hdhog1

Anyhow spend your time elsewhere, stay 2 weeks in Sturgis.  Now there is a place worth riding.  

The people in Sturgis couldn't be more receptive to us.  They WANTED our business.  We'll be back.  Would love to stay 2 weeks instead of one.
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 08:36:20 AM »

at one time the naacp had a boycott of south carolina.

a fact.

TN

not sure of the moral but it's there.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2008, 10:26:21 PM »

at one time the naacp had a boycott of south carolina.

a fact.

TN

not sure of the moral but it's there.

They still do. They are still boycotting the State based on the Confederate flag issue. The State has since moved it from atop of the capitol building where no one could see it to the front lawn where everyone that drives by can see it. Not one of the finest moments in State history.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2008, 11:00:15 PM »

They still do. They are still boycotting the State based on the Confederate flag issue. The State has since moved it from atop of the capitol building where no one could see it to the front lawn where everyone that drives by can see it. Not one of the finest moments in State history.

I sometimes wonder when I see the Flag of The Confederacy if those who display it do so because of a sense of having lost something that they never really knew. I have friends who would sooner eat worms than utter a racial epithet, but they fly that old flag not because they are bigots, but because they have heard anti-bellum stories their entire lives and they yearn for those days when Dixie was a special place full of charm and grace and quiet dignity. Many feel that the south was ransacked unjustly by northern carpetbaggers after the war and families who never embraced slavery were stripped of their homes and their land simply because of where they lived. I truly do not see bigotry in every person who flies that flag, but I fully understand how the flag affects people who's ancestors were dragged here in chains to spend their entire lives at hard labor lucky to have clothes on their back, clean water to drink and meager food to eat. I would have a hard time looking up at that flag flying over the capital of my state were I the great grandson of a slave. There's good and bad in everything. This is just one more example of that.

B B 

RedFXR2

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2008, 08:50:39 AM »

I sometimes wonder when I see the Flag of The Confederacy if those who display it do so because of a sense of having lost something that they never really knew. I have friends who would sooner eat worms than utter a racial epithet, but they fly that old flag not because they are bigots, but because they have heard anti-bellum stories their entire lives and they yearn for those days when Dixie was a special place full of charm and grace and quiet dignity. Only for a few Many feel that the south was ransacked unjustly by northern carpetbaggers after the war and families who never embraced slavery were stripped of their homes and their land simply because of where they lived. I truly do not see bigotry in every person who flies that flag, but I fully understand how the flag affects people who's ancestors were dragged here in chains to spend their entire lives at hard labor lucky to have clothes on their back, clean water to drink and meager food to eat. I would have a hard time looking up at that flag flying over the capital of my state were I the great grandson of a slave. There's good and bad in everything. This is just one more example of that.

B B 

A lot of wisdom there, BB.

Never mind my education but I have some credentials in history.  Books have been writtten on why the Civil War happened, not about the battles themselves.  I believe you are right when you ponder how many folks flying the Confederate flag today have any idea of history or probably they're assigning their own significance and meaning to that piece of cloth.  Extreme case in point is the KKK.  It's humorous to me to see so many of my fellow native southerners identifying with it as though they would (surely) have been one of the relatively few extremely wealthy planters who had a tremedous economic stake in slavery.  The chances are far greater that their ancestors were dirt poor sharecroppers themselves.  Never invited to sip mint julep on the porch of the ante bellum home.

By the numbers for most people of the south at the time of the Civil War, there wasn't much grace or dignity.  Far more dirt poor white sharecroppers than rich "Gone with the Wind" types.  The promise of one day owning land themselves earned from working the plantations, an empty hope in their native England, Scotland and Ireland, kept them in the Confederate military after Jefferson Davis bowed to political pressure from the wealthy few early on (early 1862, I think) and removed any obligation for military service from slaveowners or the families (sons) of slaveowners.  None of the sharecropper Confederate soldiers marched off to death, disease and destruction to keep slaves in chains for moral purposes--they did it for the hope of one day owning their own farms.  They needed the system to continue for them to do that.  In retrospect, there really isn't much difference since slavery was a fundamental component of the southern agricultural economy.  And yes, after the war, the South was decimated economically and many opportunistic northerners, (crooks) took advantage of martial law and desperation to further rape the citizenry, former slaveholder or not.  Evidence of that resentment is slowly meltinig away, but it's still evident.

Slavery was a a horrible evil institution that had to end, but like most other national conflicts, it was more about money than morals--to those people at that time.  Essential to remember that last part.  Also important to remember that the Southern economy provided the money to run the still young (less than 100 years) US of A.  It never works when one faction provides the money for another, more controlling faction who then gets to spend it as they alone wish. 

And important to remember that in any conflict, history is written by the winners.  You have to more serious research to get the rest of the story.

It's also important to remember in understanding the Southern psyche, that the Southern states are the only part of the nation that's ever lost a war, ever been invaded by an enemy military that did outrageous things to civilians, and ever been subjected to a victorious occupation army when the war was over, continuing to do outrageous things to civilians.

But back to the flag.  Just inland from the beaches and condos is the South Florida few ever see.  Vast horse and cattle farms.  Vegetable and citrus groves.  Agriculture is still huge.  A lot of those folks (young guys in particular) fly the Confederate flag on their pickup trucks and they're not promoting slavery.  They have a false memory of southern history and an invented regional pride that they have attached to the flag.  Pretty harmless, really, except to the transplanted northeasterners who instantly figure that those guys are violent racists burning crosses every weekend.  Another ridiculous sterotype.

Lots of stereotypes to keep fighting the Civil War.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:59:00 AM by RedFXR2 »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »

Some good, some bad. I'm still not going to MB in the spring because they don't want us and passed some dumb a$$ laws to discourage my attendance.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2008, 10:31:53 AM »

Blew that place off years ago! They never REALLY wanted us there anyway! Always been a Police State during Bike Week! SMB!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2008, 10:37:02 AM »

My original post of the boycott was thread related. I guess I’ll have to splain myself more. The naacp promoted a boycott of sc because of the flag issues, there are folks who embrace this heritage Even if they are misunderstood or misguided. By no means I’m a racist or judge folks by the color of there skin.  I do know civil war history and the propaganda around it, as in all wars! Enough on that.

The mbbw has been having problems with politicians and such for a long time. The recent headlines grab the spotlight but the problem, and yes talk with the locals, was (is) the atlantic beach bike fest following mbbw. And from fear of discrimination suits they had to include both. I could go on, but I won’t.

These are politically correct times. So who side is GOD on?
I’m sorry this is a legal issue, isn’t it? So who side is the law on?

Can’t we just all get along and ride.

TN

Sorry for the rant but I started attending mbbw in the late 80’s on my british rides. Have chose not to attend the last several yrs.

Happy New Year to everyone. :drummer:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2009, 12:20:46 PM »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »

Thanks for the link TN.

Effff em.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2009, 01:49:05 PM »

Yeah, thanks for the link.  I guess the extension of the duration was the biggest factor.....it started as a weekend and ended up as over 3 weeks of continuous bikers with the numbers growing over the years.  Even spring breakers don't stay anywhere that long, so.....it finally broke the back of the local support.  That rally was one of the longest running.  Wonder which one is next?  :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »

Never liked the place, now I HATE it, and that Mayor can keep his snooty town all to himself! 1 MBBW was too much for me! Now I know why, with mentalities like that!!! SMB!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »

Thanks for the link TN.

Effff em.

Good luck to the merchants of MB!  In this recessionary year, I'll bet they'll be re-thinking this action after losing out on probably hundreds of thousands of biker/visitor dollars.

Here's to those who wish us well and all the rest can go to h311!!

cheers!
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2009, 02:32:40 PM »

Never liked the place, now I HATE it, and that Mayor can keep his snooty town all to himself! 1 MBBW was too much for me! Now I know why, with mentalities like that!!! SMB!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

One potentially positive byproduct of this for us.  If John Golden decides not to screw with MB this year we might get to have our dyno day during the Eureka Springs event after all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 21 queries.