Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installation of the SAS Pneumatic suspension from Custom Cycle  (Read 1646 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
Installation of the SAS Pneumatic suspension from Custom Cycle
« on: October 27, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »

Fed up of hurting my back with the standard rear suspension, looked around and found what I thought would be the answer to my cries.
A pneumatic suspension in a compact package. Didn't like the type that had external plastic pipes that could fail and leave me without suspension, so my only option left was the SAS Custom Cycle distributes. Here are some pics with the installation and comments; some good and some bad. Must say however that the unit itself is a great piece of engineering and even though I have only had a chance to try it out in one short trip, what I felt was that my back pain will be the first to improve and that is without losing any stability or handling characteristics of my CVO 08 Springer.

http://imageevent.com/wforest/saspneumaticrearsuspension?n=1&z=4&c=4&x=1&m=24&w=0&p=0

http://es.

http://es.

Best  :drink: for all of you,

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

drogers

• Full CVO Member
Re: Installation of the SAS Pneumatic suspension from Custom Cycle
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »

That looks pretty cool,but I haven't experienced enough bottoming problems to warrant a new suspension system.On the other hand,the bike does have the worst suspension and brakes of any bike I have ever owned,but that's part of owning a Springer.I would imaging if you lived in a area of bad streets,it would be pretty tough to ride.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »

Looks nice...

Did you consider other air systems (arnott ect) before you went with SAS?
How does it rider?

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »

JMS,

I was decided to change the standard rear suspension due to the harsh feel and lack of dampening, so I started looking. Since my problem was not handling related, only comfort and softer ride in general I looked at the air suspension for the first time in my life. Read a lot about what other riders had done and I felt there was a general consensus about how much better they felt with regards to softentening the ride while going over bumps. That I have now tried and I can join the happy "air riders team". So hopefully no more back Ouch! feelings.

I was also looking for a change that would lift my bike as much as possible since one of the other problems the Springers have is the lack of road clearance; I hate scraping my footrests, side stand ASO. With this pneumatic suspension my bike at máximum lift is about 1 1/2" higher if not more and I´m pretty sure that difference will definitely improve clearance with the road. I haven't tried that much yet, but I'm very optimistic about it. ::)

Oh, and I almost forgot the one thing that made me clearly decide to go for the SAS; that is the lack of tubing and complicated installation of the whole system, where you have to find a place for the compressor and so on.
Not very pleased with the lack of info or the poor quality of the electrical wires and no hardware to install it, having to buy spade connectors, fuse holders, switches etc. It costs peanuts to them, and it creates a big problem to the purchaser; I just hope they change that policy because the product (meaning the suspension) is a great piece of engineering and manufacture.

Hope I cleared your questions 8)

BR,
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »

Thanks,

Let us know how you like it over the next couple months.....

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.