Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Reverse Gear  (Read 15581 times)

Ingy@UK

Reverse Gear
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:19:43 AM »

Hi all, I just finished installing a reverse gear kit to my 08 CVO Ultra,
it was an easy install with very good instructions, the kit was from E glide, and made by Champion Trikes of California.
the whole job took me 3.5 hours and all seems to be ok, it will make my life sooo much easier !
I will up date as to any further information

UPDATE

I am still having computer probs, photo's will not down load, still this unit is mechanical,
you remove the clutch actuator,(mine is Hydraulic)remove the lock nuts from main and lay shafts,
install sprockets in there place, torque to 80 ft lb,drill and install dowell pins,then fit the unit which has
 a third cog which when engaged meshes with the other two, thus driving your bike backwards,
this must ONLY be engaged in nutrel,re fit clutch actuator after fitting new push rod (approx .75 inch longer)
as this is the thickness of the unit,

To opperate start your motor, engage clutch, engage reverse lever by pushing down to clear gate,
ease backwars to engage gear, gentley ease out clutch with low revs and hey you are going backwards!!

I will post photo's when I sort this comp problem
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:30:04 PM by Ingy@UK »

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

Re: Reverse Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:32:54 AM »

:worthless:

:worthless:

Thanks
Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 05:34:20 AM »

Hi all, I just finished installing a reverse gear kit to my 08 CVO Ultra,
it was an easy install with very good instructions, the kit was from E glide, and made by Champion Trikes of California.
the whole job took me 3.5 hours and all seems to be ok, it will make my life sooo much easier !
I will up date as to any further information.

Chit, I have enough trouble going forward. THE MUFFMAN

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:41:31 AM »

I want a reverse with overdrive :o !

Ok, I'm a geek for gadgets.  Tell us more.  Electric unit?  How's it engage?  Details man!  Details!

And you SO missed a chance to pad your post count by taking lots of procedural photos documenting the details of the installation :drink: .

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:41:20 PM »

Yea, what he said. 

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »

I'd like a reverse gear that is somewhat impervious to one who is not great with shifting gears.  like, I've heard if you shift into first before the bike is ready, you can cause serious damage.  I'd be a little interested.   :)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »

Interesting but e need pics...............

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »

This is intriguing.  You've got my interest.  Can't wait for pictures.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »

I have Champion's reverse gear kit on my '08 SEUC, and it's a great thing.  It doesn't affect the bike in any way for normal operation; in fact, I tend to forget about it except when I need to back up uphill.  As far as pictures, there's not much to see except the lever (sticks up from the tranny on the right side) to shift it into/out of reverse.  You can see that lever, the product info, installation instructions, etc. at http://www.championsidecars.com/RunScript.asp?page=46&scPage=3&catID=5&itemID=40&ap=ShoppingCart/sc.asp&p=ASP\Pg46.asp.  The install isn't too bad, either.

It's very easy to use:  Bike in neutral, clutch in, move lever to reverse position, let clutch out to back up; when finished backing, clutch in, move lever to "normal" position; shift bike into gear and go.

The only thing I've noticed is that I (probably) can't use a 2:1 exhaust system, since the rear cylinder header would probably need to pass through the area where the "engagement" lever is--you can see what I mean from pics on the web site.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »

I have Champion's reverse gear kit on my '08 SEUC, and it's a great thing.  It doesn't affect the bike in any way for normal operation; in fact, I tend to forget about it except when I need to back up uphill.  As far as pictures, there's not much to see except the lever (sticks up from the tranny on the right side) to shift it into/out of reverse.  You can see that lever, the product info, installation instructions, etc. at http://www.championsidecars.com/RunScript.asp?page=46&scPage=3&catID=5&itemID=40&ap=ShoppingCart/sc.asp&p=ASP\Pg46.asp.  The install isn't too bad, either.

It's very easy to use:  Bike in neutral, clutch in, move lever to reverse position, let clutch out to back up; when finished backing, clutch in, move lever to "normal" position; shift bike into gear and go.

The only thing I've noticed is that I (probably) can't use a 2:1 exhaust system, since the rear cylinder header would probably need to pass through the area where the "engagement" lever is--you can see what I mean from pics on the web site.

Do you know if that lever can be adjusted to a different position, so you can use the exhaust of your choice?

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 12:20:26 AM »

Do you know if that lever can be adjusted to a different position, so you can use the exhaust of your choice?

I'm going to say with 99.9% confidence "No."  The lever is part of the reverse gear housing, and there is an interlock on the lever to keep the reverse gear from accidentally engaging or disengaging--it looks like it's the interlock assembly that prevents repositioning the lever.  OTOH, there might be some 2:1 systems that, b/c of their specific curvature, would fit...but that would be on a case-by-case basis (aka "pure luck").
If you want peace, prepare for war.

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:47:25 AM »

I'm going to say with 99.9% confidence "No."  The lever is part of the reverse gear housing, and there is an interlock on the lever to keep the reverse gear from accidentally engaging or disengaging--it looks like it's the interlock assembly that prevents repositioning the lever.  OTOH, there might be some 2:1 systems that, b/c of their specific curvature, would fit...but that would be on a case-by-case basis (aka "pure luck").

Thanks much for looking into this for me.  Don't really want to do it, but if it gets to the point that I need it, it would be a nice feature.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 09:04:49 AM »

I'd like a reverse gear that is somewhat impervious to one who is not great with shifting gears.  like, I've heard if you shift into first before the bike is ready, you can cause serious damage.  I'd be a little interested.   :)
I want a reverse with overdrive :o !

I can see it now, Don and Candy racing in reverse at the next GTG.  Now we'll have threads on modified reverse gears, which ratio is best for hole shots, warnings about foot placement either on or outboard of floorboards before dropping the clutch, etc.  Will it work with the SE 6 speed or the Baker?  Where does it ever end?   ???

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 09:53:49 AM »

I can see it now, Don and Candy racing in reverse at the next GTG.  Now we'll have threads on modified reverse gears, which ratio is best for hole shots, warnings about foot placement either on or outboard of floorboards before dropping the clutch, etc.  Will it work with the SE 6 speed or the Baker?  Where does it ever end?    ???

Jerry
Hopefully only when they throw dirt in your face and let's hope that is a long, long way off. :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »

I can see it now, Don and Candy racing in reverse at the next GTG.  Now we'll have threads on modified reverse gears, which ratio is best for hole shots, warnings about foot placement either on or outboard of floorboards before dropping the clutch, etc.  Will it work with the SE 6 speed or the Baker?  Where does it ever end?   ???

Jerry

Just think Jerry; it's bad enough getting beat by a girl.  Now I'd get beat by a girl going in reverse :bigcry::huepfenlol2:

Screw it.  Sounds like parking lot fun.  I'm in :thumbsup: !
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 21 queries.