Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Reverse Gear  (Read 15586 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Reverse Gear
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 03:08:56 PM »

Hopefully only when they throw dirt in your face and let's hope that is a long, long way off. :2vrolijk_21:
Well, before the dirt is dumped on my face, I'm definitely game to race Don in reverse at the get together that our friend Jerry is at, where and when is that Jerry?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »

Well, before the dirt is dumped on my face, I'm definitely game to race Don in reverse at the get together that our friend Jerry is at, where and when is that Jerry?

Here Mrs. We!  Go here go here :mango: !! 

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=29353.0

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 11:38:04 PM »

I have Champion's reverse gear kit on my '08 SEUC, and it's a great thing.  It doesn't affect the bike in any way for normal operation; in fact, I tend to forget about it except when I need to back up uphill.  As far as pictures, there's not much to see except the lever (sticks up from the tranny on the right side) to shift it into/out of reverse.  You can see that lever, the product info, installation instructions, etc. at http://www.championsidecars.com/RunScript.asp?page=46&scPage=3&catID=5&itemID=40&ap=ShoppingCart/sc.asp&p=ASP\Pg46.asp.  The install isn't too bad, either.

It's very easy to use:  Bike in neutral, clutch in, move lever to reverse position, let clutch out to back up; when finished backing, clutch in, move lever to "normal" position; shift bike into gear and go.

The only thing I've noticed is that I (probably) can't use a 2:1 exhaust system, since the rear cylinder header would probably need to pass through the area where the "engagement" lever is--you can see what I mean from pics on the web site.

It would be better if the lever was shorter!!

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »

It would be better if the lever was shorter!!

Looks like it could be modified.

mnr60

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »

Just so you know Baker now has a reverse...

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/f6r/index.htm

Below was copied from an email I received from Baker.

Our F6R system is designed for the new Cruise Drive transmission in ’06 Dyna’s and ’07-up big twins. 

The reverse systems starts at $1325 and ranges to $1420 depending on finish and choice of mechanical or hydraulic clutch actuator.  As far as installation, we could rebuild the gearset for $75.00 plus shipping but you would have to be responsible for the install on the motorcycle.  We put labor time around 5 – 8 hrs.

We don’t have any pics of the F6R installed on a motorcycle but if you go to www.lehmantrikes.com I’m sure they’ll have a picture of the F6R installed on a motorcycle.

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 08:13:52 PM »

Just so you know Baker now has a reverse...

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/f6r/index.htm

Below was copied from an email I received from Baker.

Our F6R system is designed for the new Cruise Drive transmission in ’06 Dyna’s and ’07-up big twins. 

The reverse systems starts at $1325 and ranges to $1420 depending on finish and choice of mechanical or hydraulic clutch actuator.  As far as installation, we could rebuild the gearset for $75.00 plus shipping but you would have to be responsible for the install on the motorcycle.  We put labor time around 5 – 8 hrs.

We don’t have any pics of the F6R installed on a motorcycle but if you go to www.lehmantrikes.com I’m sure they’ll have a picture of the F6R installed on a motorcycle.

Saw that.  Pretty cool setup like most things Baker.  Just wondering if they'll make one for 06 and older scoots.

Texas Lurker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »

Hey Guys & Gals

FYI I talked to a SUPER NICE GUY ( JT ) at Baker yesterday. Wanted info on the new 7 speed they have out. No can do on the Harley 6 speed, also can't get 7 speed with reverse. Reverse only fits Harley's 6 speed at this time, but they are fixxing to have it for the 5 speeds as well, as there has been a lot of interest in that area. They also have a fix for the noisy 5th gear on the Harley 6 speed. The great thing about the Baker reverse is. it's electronic. You have a switch on the dash or handlebars (depending on your model bike). All you do is engage clutch. put the bike in neutral, flip switch on. shift down past 1st gear with toe shifter & you're in reverse. Since it's electronic there is no shift lever on the trans. to get in the way of the pipes (or any thing else for that matter). With Champions Reverse you're in neutral with the clutch engaged, shift the lever on the trans forward & your in reverse, BUT if by chance you forget & don't pull lever back up & shift into !st gear you will trash your trans. I've heard of several that have done so. JT said since their reverse is engaged electronically there is no way you can engage 2 gears at the same time,
Just to make myself clear the Baker Reverse is a true gear, not a reverse off of the starter. The electronic switch has to be in the on position to shift into reverse. As long as the switch is in the on position there is no way the trans. can be shifted into a forward gear while in reverse, therefore saving the trans from being trashed.
 Baker Reverse
No worry of trashing you're trans.
No lever to mess with or get in the way
 Last but not least, he offered a 15%, but when I told him about Cvo.com, He said if 4 or 5 people were interested He'd give a better deal than that.
Hope this makes sense.                           Linny

Oh, I think he said the reverse for the 5 speed would be available in the Spring.

REGGAB

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 11:07:59 PM »

Hey Guys & Gals

FYI I talked to a SUPER NICE GUY ( JT ) at Baker yesterday. Wanted info on the new 7 speed they have out. No can do on the Harley 6 speed, also can't get 7 speed with reverse. Reverse only fits Harley's 6 speed at this time, but they are fixxing to have it for the 5 speeds as well, as there has been a lot of interest in that area. They also have a fix for the noisy 5th gear on the Harley 6 speed. The great thing about the Baker reverse is. it's electronic. You have a switch on the dash or handlebars (depending on your model bike). All you do is engage clutch. put the bike in neutral, flip switch on. shift down past 1st gear with toe shifter & you're in reverse. Since it's electronic there is no shift lever on the trans. to get in the way of the pipes (or any thing else for that matter). With Champions Reverse you're in neutral with the clutch engaged, shift the lever on the trans forward & your in reverse, BUT if by chance you forget & don't pull lever back up & shift into !st gear you will trash your trans. I've heard of several that have done so. JT said since their reverse is engaged electronically there is no way you can engage 2 gears at the same time,
Just to make myself clear the Baker Reverse is a true gear, not a reverse off of the starter. The electronic switch has to be in the on position to shift into reverse. As long as the switch is in the on position there is no way the trans. can be shifted into a forward gear while in reverse, therefore saving the trans from being trashed.
 Baker Reverse
No worry of trashing you're trans.
No lever to mess with or get in the way
 Last but not least, he offered a 15%, but when I told him about Cvo.com, He said if 4 or 5 people were interested He'd give a better deal than that.
Hope this makes sense.                           Linny

Oh, I think he said the reverse for the 5 speed would be available in the Spring.

I'm confused......it doesn't work on the Harley six speed, but it does work on the Harley six speed?   :nixweiss:  Moot point for me.  What about the OD6?  Thanks.

Texas Lurker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 02:34:12 AM »

I'm confused......it doesn't work on the Harley six speed, but it does work on the Harley six speed?   :nixweiss:  Moot point for me.  What about the OD6?  Thanks.

I wanted the 7 speed gear set with reverse for my 07 seuc. It's not available.

The Baker 7 speed gear sets will not work on the 07 & later bikes equipped with the Harley  6 speed.

The Baker Reverse Gear only works on the Harley 6 speed ( 07 & later) models at this time. They are comming out with the reverse for 06 & earlier models with 5 speeds, in the spring I think.

Sorry I was talking about 2 differant things . Hope this clears it up. Thanks    Linny

REGGAB

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 06:39:38 AM »

The Baker 7 speed gear sets will not work on the 07 & later bikes equipped with the Harley  6 speed.

The Baker Reverse Gear only works on the Harley 6 speed ( 07 & later) models at this time. They are comming out with the reverse for 06 & earlier models with 5 speeds, in the spring I think.

Sorry I was talking about 2 differant things . Hope this clears it up. Thanks    Linny

Roger that.  Got it now.  Thanks for your understanding and patience.  I'm a little "thick" on occasion.   :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 06:54:34 AM »

Interesting.  Esp. for us little guys with big bikes that forget to combat park in the mountains on occasions.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 07:01:55 AM »

Interesting.  Esp. for us little guys with big bikes that forget to combat park in the mountains on occasions.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder

And those of us with knees that are just lookin' for a reason to blow out.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 07:10:25 AM »

And those of us with knees that are just lookin' for a reason to blow out.
Opps.  :oops: Forgot about the blown out knee... :(....the mind is blown out also.  :'( spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 07:14:28 AM »

Opps.  :oops: Forgot about the blown out knee... :(....the mind is blown out also:'( spyder

I don't think a reverse gear will help you out there, Spyd...........unless it can take you back a few years to "pre-mind blowout days."  That'd take a few oil changes for me.......and would put alot of wear on a new reverse gear..........if it would work.   :huepfenlol2:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

Linny, not trying to be picky but I think that came out wrong again.  The DD7 will only work with the '07 and later ('06 Dyna) six speed, aka Cruise Drive.  It isn't designed to fit the old style 5 speed box or the SE overdrive 6 speed used on previous model years.  Now that there are two versions of 6 speeds, it's easier to differentiate by calling the latest one the Cruise Drive.

I'm still waiting for someone to come out with either a two speed rear axle so we can have 12 or 14 speeds, or maybe a CVT so we can have an infinite number of ratio's.  Anyone other than me feel that this number of gears thing is getting a little out of hand?  Lots of gears are good with a peaky engine that only has a narrow power band, but would seem to be major overkill on a 100 inch plus V-twin.  I personally would just rather see the existing ratio's optimized for real world performance.  If I wanted to exercise my foot that much I'd take up tap dancing.

BTW, I understand AHDRA is planning a new racing category for next season, the 1/8th mile reverse class initially just for baggers.  I heard that Don and Candy will be invited to participate in the inaugural race.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.