Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: American Iron Article on the 110" Issues is out  (Read 21948 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
American Iron Article on the 110" Issues is out
« on: November 15, 2008, 02:28:35 PM »

Donnies Techline Part I: The head gasket oil leak and other issues. There are quotes from Chuck M. from Marietta GA.  :huepfenlol2:  I'm reading it now. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: American Iron Article on the 110" Issues is out
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 03:17:10 PM »

Laughing, crying or cussing?   :P

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »

what month is the issue?
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:03:52 PM »

what month is the issue?

January '09 issue. It's a multi-part series that hasn't really gotten into the weeds yet other than to identify a problem exists.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »

I've just read Donny Petersen's article on the CVO 110" problems. The first thing I can say is that it was a good thing he noted BEFORE the article: "Some content has been altered to fit AIM's style and format." It was a difficult read at best and would be impossible without prior knowledge of the situation.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »

I've just read Donny Petersen's article on the CVO 110" problems. The first thing I can say is that it was a good thing he noted BEFORE the article: "Some content has been altered to fit AIM's style and format." It was a difficult read at best and would be impossible without prior knowledge of the situation.

Can you get us a copy of the article? :2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 06:17:36 PM »

Can you get us a copy of the article? :2vrolijk_21:

I'll PM you. I don't want to violate any copyright laws here. Needless to say, after speaking to someone who had an advance copy of the aforementioned article, and happened to be quoted in it, his feeling was the same as mine. The article did not do anything to address the problem with the 110" engine and seemed to endlessly ramble on. Other than to have the title "Harley CVO No-NO" splashed on the top of the cover page, no informative information was divulged. It seems the author was more interested in cams, valve lifts and stoichiometrics (yeah, I had to look it up) then he was in anything that was relevant to solving the real world problems associated with 110". It appears as if someone forgot to read the article after it edited.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:13:52 PM »

I'll PM you. I don't want to violate any copyright laws here. Needless to say, after speaking to someone who had an advance copy of the aforementioned article, and happened to be quoted in it, his feeling was the same as mine. The article did not do anything to address the problem with the 110" engine and seemed to endlessly ramble on. Other than to have the title "Harley CVO No-NO" splashed on the top of the cover page, no informative information was divulged. It seems the author was more interested in cams, valve lifts and stoichiometrics (yeah, I had to look it up) then he was in anything that was relevant to solving the real world problems associated with 110". It appears as if someone forgot to read the article after it edited.
Don't all Donny's 'articles?'  I'm really disappointed in his exposee.  Chit he said he had it all figured out months and months ago but it took forever to publish since the lead time is so far out.  This is all ancient history now.  I'm getting tired of reading AIM and doubt I'll renew.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »

that guy is a trip...very talented perormance builder, but he sure needs writing classes!
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:47:44 AM »

that guy is a trip...very talented perormance builder, but he sure needs writing classes!

I know of at least 3 people who have had their motor work done at DP's & would beg to differ on his ability. THE MUFFMAN

Greaseball

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 07:25:50 AM »

Were you guys really expecting some new revelation out of AIM and Donny when it comes to the CVO 110 engines????

The best info on these motors is right here where the rubber hits the road and the war veterans tell their tales.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »

We have a lot smarter people than him supporting us here. We've found, diagnosed, and attempted all kinds of fixes. There's nobody left that can tell ya anymore about what's going on than you can find here. Do your homework here! You won't find better info ANYWHERE!!! Remember people, this chit ain't rocket science!!! FAI!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »

We have a lot smarter people than him supporting us here. We've found, diagnosed, and attempted all kinds of fixes. There's nobody left that can tell ya anymore about what's going on than you can find here. Do your homework here! You won't find better info ANYWHERE!!! Remember people, this chit ain't rocket science!!! FAI!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yea!   Like Chip!
 :)

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 09:22:29 AM »

Yea!   Like Chip!
 :)

I said "a lot" Tommy! Not ALL! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »

Stopped subscribing to AI quite some time ago because the entire rag was so poorly written.  Actually the same with most all of them.  But picked one up over the weekend after the initial mention of this article.  What a waste of ink and trees or recycled paper.  Advertisers should be embarassed to be associated with the effort.  The magazine and the advertisers must simply thing we are a very easy target audience (they act like we're marks).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.