Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Having seat issues need some help  (Read 7676 times)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Having seat issues need some help
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »

I have a friend that just received his new Corbin Dual Tour.  I was disappointed.  The seat is very narrow compared to the stock seat.  The Dual Tour also moves the rider back.... didn't care too much for that.

I am thinking about taking my stock seat to a local seat builder and have it re-worked.  I would like to have the thickness of the seat reduced and maybe narrow the nose of the seat.  Anyone ever try this?  Is it possible to get the desired results from a stock seat --- comfort and good looks?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 10:37:36 PM »

I have a friend that just received his new Corbin Dual Tour.  I was disappointed.  The seat is very narrow compared to the stock seat.  The Dual Tour also moves the rider back.... didn't care too much for that.

I am thinking about taking my stock seat to a local seat builder and have it re-worked.  I would like to have the thickness of the seat reduced and maybe narrow the nose of the seat.  Anyone ever try this?  Is it possible to get the desired results from a stock seat --- comfort and good looks?

Which model bike?  The Corbins are all over the place on their different models.  The SERG seat is an example that is much wider than stock and moved me forward quite a bit. 

The two seats for the SEEG are a seat specifically designed for the SEEG and a RK seat.  They both fit the seat but are different in pillion width and in how they fit under the rider's legs. 

The Corbin's aren't a one-size-fits all thing.  Real differences between different model seats and similar model seats (dual tour seats for example) for different bikes.  Many of the bike models available also have both a standard position and  "close" variant available that moves you farther forward.  You need to spend a LOT of time talking to their guys.  And ask the same questions more than once.  Otherwise you'll never get the Corbin set up just the way you want it.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »

Which model bike?  The Corbins are all over the place on their different models.  The SERG seat is an example that is much wider than stock and moved me forward quite a bit. 

The two seats for the SEEG are a seat specifically designed for the SEEG and a RK seat.  They both fit the seat but are different in pillion width and in how they fit under the rider's legs. 

The Corbin's aren't a one-size-fits all thing.  Real differences between different model seats and similar model seats (dual tour seats for example) for different bikes.  Many of the bike models available also have both a standard position and  "close" variant available that moves you farther forward.  You need to spend a LOT of time talking to their guys.  And ask the same questions more than once.  Otherwise you'll never get the Corbin set up just the way you want it.

My friends bike is an 06 Ultra.

I liked the lower profile of the Corbin, just didn't like how narrow the seat area is (where my butt goes) on the Dual Tour.  Is it possible to get a Corbin Dual Tour in a wider version?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »

My friends bike is an 06 Ultra.

I liked the lower profile of the Corbin, just didn't like how narrow the seat area is (where my butt goes) on the Dual Tour.  Is it possible to get a Corbin Dual Tour in a wider version?

From my experience with them I'd have to say yes and no.  The old model Electra Glide/Road Glide seat is an example of a very wide seat.  But one that still has a pretty narrow nose to drop your legs beside.  A nice seat indeed.  And it's wide both rider and pillion.

The SEEG seat is about the same up front but with a narrower pillion.  The RK seat is somewhere in between. 

If they've got a seat pan that in their mind they've made specifically for a given bike that's the only pan they've got.  And they can't alter base width.  Look at your dash/seat/tank relationship though.  Like the Road King seat working on the SEEG there is some interchangeability in their models that they choose not to be aware of.  Can take a little homework and photo comparison.  But there are some.  If a model with a wider saddle happens to mate to your dash your golden.

If you call Corbin you can get different answers in different places too.  For God's sake don't ask questions of their sales weenies.  They're just short of worthless anymore.  If there's a question about a saddle you're considering speak to a seat building tech.  They're the guys that know what they can actually do as opposed to simply what's in the reference sheets in front of the sales reps.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 11:10:59 PM »

Thanks Don.  I'm in no hurry right now.  I'm going to keep looking around at Corbin seats.  Your advise is good.... I'm going to look at some RK and other model seats to see if I can find something I like better.

RoadKingHog

• Black Diamond/Silver Dust
  • Junior CVO Member
  • May the sun shine ahead, and the wind at your back

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2010 Softail Convertible
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 10:50:30 PM »

:) Izyboy, I had a similar search with aftermarket/custom seats.  I settled on C&C Seats from Paramount, CA.  It was a little tricky to order to fit without actually trying a seat out first, but through photo exchanges and telephone conversations I got what I wanted and am very pleased with the fit, comfort, quality leather, workmanship, etc.  Through photos, I was able to get CC Seats to replicate the original OEM seat stitch pattern to the new seat.
2008 Road King SE
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
TTS Tuner
CC Seats solo seat
Progressive 940 Rear Shocks
Motolights
Kuryakyn Floorboard Relocator Brackets
Heel Guard

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 12:12:37 AM »

Roadkinghog,
thanks for the words and pictures. I did not think of that. That is getting the seat to match the exsisting saddle bags. I actually like the bags that came with the bike. The seat will make a nice addition. I rode from San Antonio today (Veterans Day)  with a Air Hawk. It was okay and it was a quick fix. After Christmas I have the green light to jump right in and grab me one sweet seat. After freezing my butt off riding to San Antonio Friday :confused5: I need heat. I am looking at the Gerbing clothing and the C & C seat. Bought a Megellan Crossover GPS, purchasing a mount from techmount, have my cup holder now. Darn it things are looking up for the Lzyboy!!!!!!!!! Serious though, if you don't mind I am going to use your picture and ask them to use this pattern. I want a back rest with the same stitching as well. Well going to bed first call comes quick..

thanks lot roadkinghog once again
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

RoadKingHog

• Black Diamond/Silver Dust
  • Junior CVO Member
  • May the sun shine ahead, and the wind at your back

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2010 Softail Convertible
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 08:08:41 AM »

Izyboy, good luck with your seat selection.  If you decide to go with CC Seats, call Chuck at 866-775-2100.  He'll know the seat, I provided him a photo set on a CD.  He provided several samples of vinyl and leather swatches for selection.  Chuck actually recommended a vinyl cover, but I went with a leather (what does he know, right?)  I like it real well though Chuck cautioned me the leather will take a little longer to break in.  It is a little firm but comfortable.

Also, FYI, (as you know, many of the available Harley and aftermarket products exclude the FLHSE) but one accessory I installed which is very functional and looks good is the Kuryakyn driver floorboard Relocator Brackets (P/N 4588.)  I am attaching a photo for you.  The brackets extend the floorboards out an inch and forward an inch.  Doesn't sound like much but it gives your foot/heel a little more room - on the right side it gets it away from the exhaust pipe, on the left side it gives you a little more room away from the shifter pegs.  (It doesn't seem to affect clearance on turns.  I scrape my floorboards on my Heritage Classic but this bike seems to have a little more clearance.)

Good luck,
DS

2008 Road King SE
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
TTS Tuner
CC Seats solo seat
Progressive 940 Rear Shocks
Motolights
Kuryakyn Floorboard Relocator Brackets
Heel Guard

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 09:09:41 PM »

Thanks for the tips and pics. I sure could use those extenders and the list keeps grown. The seat is leaning more to C & C. I will give him a call closer to purchase time. Thanks again!!!
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 09:49:14 AM »

Thanks for the tips and pics. I sure could use those extenders and the list keeps grown. The seat is leaning more to C & C. I will give him a call closer to purchase time. Thanks again!!!

Lzyboy

I love both my C&C seats. Chuck is great to work with!

Izyboy, good luck with your seat selection.  If you decide to go with CC Seats, call Chuck at 866-775-2100.  He'll know the seat, I provided him a photo set on a CD.  He provided several samples of vinyl and leather swatches for selection.  Chuck actually recommended a vinyl cover, but I went with a leather (what does he know, right?)  I like it real well though Chuck cautioned me the leather will take a little longer to break in.  It is a little firm but comfortable.

Also, FYI, (as you know, many of the available Harley and aftermarket products exclude the FLHSE) but one accessory I installed which is very functional and looks good is the Kuryakyn driver floorboard Relocator Brackets (P/N 4588.)  I am attaching a photo for you.  The brackets extend the floorboards out an inch and forward an inch.  Doesn't sound like much but it gives your foot/heel a little more room - on the right side it gets it away from the exhaust pipe, on the left side it gives you a little more room away from the shifter pegs.  (It doesn't seem to affect clearance on turns.  I scrape my floorboards on my Heritage Classic but this bike seems to have a little more clearance.)

Good luck,
DS

RDK     Nice looking seat! My leather seats broke in real easy. Good looking design you got there!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.