Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mid control Linkage?  (Read 6005 times)

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
Mid control Linkage?
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:03:35 AM »

My apologies guys if this is in the wrong section.  I just put some Legends forward controls on the bike as i was spending way too much time on the forward pegs and didn't like reaching back all the time.. My question is after i get a new smooth inspection plate how difficult is it going to be to get the old linkage rod out of there.. I'm guessing 5 hours of labor for 2 screws??? thanks for you help!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Mid control Linkage?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:10:30 AM »

You will need to remove the inner primary to get the rod out. About 2-3 hours labor. Plugging the hole in the inner will be the tough part.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:21:05 AM »

Reaching way back in to long unused memory.  So don't trust this as an absolute.  But I think I've done that before.  Short bolt against a flat washer against a rubber washer to seal on the outside and on the inside a rubber washer to seal against the primary backed by a flat washer with a nut to tighten it all up.  Rubber washers were of an ID that they fit snug against the bolt.  On whatever bike I did that too the bolt head outside the inner primary couldn't be seen unless you got your head stuck in someplace where your head should never be stuck.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »

I had forward controls on mine and just changed back to the mids. Personally, I'd get a cover for the shifter shaft and leave the inside linkage alone. That's how mine was, and it made it a breeze to switch it back to stock. It's not worth all the work required to get rid of the inside linkage.

The attached pic shows the cap. You can barely see the inside linkage at all. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »

I have Accutronix forward controls that I installed in 2000.  They came with a chrome cap to cover the old shifter shaft.  I'm sure they sell something similar at the H-D dealer. I haven't had any issues with leaking as I was told I might so I never removed the old shaft.  I aslo left my mid mounted foot pegs right where they were.  It's great to be able to bring my feet in on long rides.  I keep them folded up until I need them.  I will post pics ASAP.

elvislee

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »

I have Accutronix forward controls that I installed in 2000.  They came with a chrome cap to cover the old shifter shaft.  I'm sure they sell something similar at the H-D dealer. I haven't had any issues with leaking as I was told I might so I never removed the old shaft.  I aslo left my mid mounted foot pegs right where they were.  It's great to be able to bring my feet in on long rides.  I keep them folded up until I need them.  I will post pics ASAP.

I did exactly what Hoist and fxr3joe is saying for my fxr4. Put the forwards on, left the linkage and shaft alone and in place, left the mids in place, left the stock shaft in place and went down to the Harley shop and bought a chrome cover cap for about $10.00 and put the cap on the stock shift spline; now have forwards and mid pegs to allow me to do as fxr3joe sates which is the ability to pull your legs back to the mid position if ya get tired of your legs extended forward all the time...as joe said; if ya want to remove the forwards later then all ya gotta do is remove them and rehook all as was by just simply putting your stock shift lever back on and reattaching your original linkage which is already there...And all works just fine  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 03:37:44 PM by elvislee »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »

My apologies guys if this is in the wrong section.  I just put some Legends forward controls on the bike as i was spending way too much time on the forward pegs and didn't like reaching back all the time.. My question is after i get a new smooth inspection plate how difficult is it going to be to get the old linkage rod out of there.. I'm guessing 5 hours of labor for 2 screws?

63SSRagtop~~

First of all welcome back.....good to see you posting.  Second.....your in the right spot to bring up these types of questions.....and thanks for seeing if we can help you.

Third, like what has been shared above, the choice of removing the "shifter spline" from the bike and going with a "smooth" cover for your "inspection cover" is a bit more complicated than at first glance, like "hd-dude" said above, the most complicated part is properly sealing the "INNER PRIMARY" where the "shifter spline" protrudes through the back.  Twolanerider's memory seems to be accurate as far as reaching a "solution" for what you could do to properly cover up the hole that will remain once the "shifter spline" is removed. 

While I haven't had "forward" controls on my FXR2, I did have them on my 2003 Dyna Low Rider, and also thought about removing the "shifter spline' and after pondering the entire process, simply decided to go with the "chrome nub" or "cap" for the "shifter spline". 

So if it is a "cosmetic" look that you are not appreciating with the "chrome nub/cap" then let us all know what you decide and what works properly......I would assume locating a "bolt" with rubber washers will work....but you will have it protruding through the back, not sure if it anything would show however.....one would just need to make sure any "bolt" that was used did not affect the inner workings of the primary however.

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:01:08 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11:39 PM »

I agree with the others.  Just cap the shaft with chrome and leave it in place.  It's barely noticeable and a lot of work to eliminate.  And it allows an easy transition back to mids if you ever desire.

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 01:57:43 AM »

Thanks for the info guys!  I always seem to do stuff the hard way anyways.. I will certainly cap it off for now but i'm sure it going to bug the crap outta me over time and i may have to go in, i tell ya though.. I'm a hell of alot more comfortable on the bike, i can't wait to do a long run to see how it goes. 

I was worried that they wouldn't look that good but after i got them installed i think they look very nice with the lines on the side cover and trans.. they sort of blend well..

I've got an issue now that if the back of the stock shifter arm lies toward the back, it kind of binds me when i shift into 1st..  if the arm is laying forward i get the rattle of the arm bouncing around on the back of the casing which is driving me nuts..

One more quick question.. I had to remove the exhaust bracket that held the exhaust onto the bottom of the engine as it wouldn't clear the brake linkage... I plan on making another one soon but was wondering if it's okay to run the exhaust basically just hangin off of the studs on the cans and the rear one holding up the rear?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »

Thanks for the info guys!  I always seem to do stuff the hard way anyways.. I will certainly cap it off for now but i'm sure it going to bug the crap outta me over time and i may have to go in, i tell ya though.. I'm a hell of alot more comfortable on the bike, i can't wait to do a long run to see how it goes. 

I was worried that they wouldn't look that good but after i got them installed i think they look very nice with the lines on the side cover and trans.. they sort of blend well..

I've got an issue now that if the back of the stock shifter arm lies toward the back, it kind of binds me when i shift into 1st..  if the arm is laying forward i get the rattle of the arm bouncing around on the back of the casing which is driving me nuts..

One more quick question.. I had to remove the exhaust bracket that held the exhaust onto the bottom of the engine as it wouldn't clear the brake linkage... I plan on making another one soon but was wondering if it's okay to run the exhaust basically just hangin off of the studs on the cans and the rear one holding up the rear?

I wouldn't do that!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Your entire exhaust system floats with your rubber-mounted drivetrain. The front actually keeps it in place by fixing it to the engine with that clamp. The rear is mounted to the transmission with another clamp. That's what allows the whole thing to float together. The rear bracket holds the ends together, but they're not connected to the bike at all, just to the exhaust system. So I'd get a clamp on there before something breaks, which it will without the clamp. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 03:29:53 PM »

My apologies guys if this is in the wrong section.  I just put some Legends forward controls on the bike as i was spending way too much time on the forward pegs and didn't like reaching back all the time.. My question is after i get a new smooth inspection plate how difficult is it going to be to get the old linkage rod out of there.. I'm guessing 5 hours of labor for 2 screws??? thanks for you help!

Are happy with those forward controls?  Do the pegs fold?  Is it the standard peg mount so you could use standard HD pegs?  Am I correct that it uses the standard master cylinder?
Do you have the part number and where you got them?

Thanks, I just got my FXR4 today. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »

Are happy with those forward controls?  Do the pegs fold?  Is it the standard peg mount so you could use standard HD pegs?  Am I correct that it uses the standard master cylinder?
Do you have the part number and where you got them?

Thanks, I just got my FXR4 today.

I couldn't be happier with these controls.. i looked high an low for the kuryakin 9168's and couldn't find any and  ran across these on ebay new in the box, they are Legends L-21-1002.  These are designed for old school FXR frame..

I think the FXR4's use actual dyna frame holes vice old school FXR's?  (mine are 2" center to center on front peg frame mounts.. i think dyna's are 1 1/2")

Yup, definitely uses stock master (one of the things i really wanted to happen). 

Need some pix of that FXR4 posted...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »

Oops, wrong thread! :-[ :nixweiss: :D

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:44:40 AM by Hoist! »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:59:38 AM »

p.s., but I may need snow tires

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 08:03:09 AM »

Cleaning up my Emails, I came across one I got from my bike a few months ago. Thought I'd share it with youze!!!

"Hi. My name is Joy! I’ve just acquired a new owner who seems very passionate about having me. I’m excited to be finally getting the attention I deserve. After all, I’m one special motorcycle! I’ve heard my new owner is a little wild when it comes to riding style and modifications. Well, don’t worry, I’ve got what it takes to handle what he’ll dish out. And I’ll love every minute of it too. I’ve been waiting 9 years to be let out of the pen and let loose, and be treated really special. Now maybe I’ll finally get the chance to run like the wind as I was made to do! Well, wish me luck with my new owner! I think I’m gonna need it! But I’m up to the task!!!"

See, she really IS the bike for me!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: ;)

Hoist! 8)

Talking to your bike is ok, but it talking back or using the computing is cause for medical treatment.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.