Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fat Cats again (sorry)  (Read 4520 times)

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
Fat Cats again (sorry)
« on: August 29, 2005, 01:51:04 AM »

I know this is a very subjective question, but are the Fat Cats overly loud?  Maybe like a comparison to unbaffled drag pipes.  Also, what's the diff. between the street baffle vs the perf. baffle noise wise?  I like to do multi-hour rides, listen to tunes in the headsets, but don't want to have to grab for the earplugs.   High rpm snarl is great, but don't want a head-ache from 2800 rpm cruise.  Make sense?  TIA!

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
Re: Fat Cats again (sorry)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 11:57:25 AM »

TXbear55-your are not too far away, I live in Plano.  Would be happy to give you a live example of what the D&D's sound like, send a PM.  I can listen to my radio through the speakers at 80mph, oh sorry I meant 55mph.  The sound is more of a medium growl.  They are definitely quieter than long shots or Thunder header.  Maybe close to a Vance and Hines Pro-pipe One.  Check and see, you might be able to save a couple of bucks by going to the manufacturer in Fort Worth.  Fake left pipe is your choice.  
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 11:58:08 AM »

Hey txbear, I'll give you my .02 on the fat cats.  All their stuff is on the loud side. It's well built, heavy, and the chrome looks nice.  My biggest complaint about the fat cat has to do with the heat generated by the curve from the back pipe.  It's right by your foot and right leg. Considering we're both in TX, the heat is a big factor.  I've talked to several owners of FC's, and they all mention the heat, and most of them are not baggers, which would probably be hotter.  You should go by their shop sometime in E. Fort Worth and check them out.  They have a dyno there and are usually running a bike for testing. You can also buy them right there.  They do make good HP and do well in all the magazine tests, I'm just too old for all the noise.  I'm leaning towards the Supertrapp on mine. Tuneable and not so loud.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

HDJamsTX

• Full CVO Member
  • It's Hammer Time!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »

TXBear, FYI..... This Group buy is still going on till the end of August so better hurry.......
I happened to find this old post, called and was told the offer was good thru end of Aug.

"AMS has made a deal with D&D Exhausts to offer the HD Forums a Group  
Buy discount on D&D 2-into-1 FatCat exhaust and ghost pipes (p/n 436-32B and 436-32G For more product info see www.danddexhaust.com or call AMS ) Sold as a set only, $649 plus shipping. The Group Buy ends July 31. We will process/ship orders in batches of 5 sets throughout the month of July . To place an order for a set, members must call AMS at 1-800-210-8675 and mention the "E-Glide Garage Forum Group Buy". Supplies are limited...call now.  
With respect,
Tom AMS-MotoMachine & Supply  
ams@automotivemachine.com
And for an extra $39.00 you can upgrade to the "Performance Baffle".  

I ordered mine today...... Best price i was able to find anywhere and i even had to pay sale tax. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 05:52:28 PM »

as posted on a thread in eg disc.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 05:52:48 PM by pappy2 »
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 07:57:31 PM »

Ordered the fatcat with ghost today...couldnt pass up the deal.
Thanks for the info guys...AMS was very easy to deal with. He was
even trying to get them shipped the same day. I wasnt in any hurray
as my foot is still broke and the bike hasnt came in yet...but pipes are on
the way!

Thanks again to all.
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »

For those interested I made a wave file for the pro baffle and not the standard one as they sold me the wrong one.  With the pro baffle and the stereo at half volume I can hear it just fine and i am hard of hearing just ask my wife :)

http://bellsouthpwp.net/u/n/unbalanced/MOV01103.zip

This file is almost 9 megs zipped.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 10:31:50 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 05:38:08 PM »

For those interested I made a wave file for the pro baffle and not the standard one as they sold me the wrong one.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 06:41:32 PM »

Those sound almost identical to the regular baffles, same type sound and loudness to me.  Just FYI  JP [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 04:56:14 PM »

Seems a few people have downloaded the sound file  and have maxxed out my bandwidth allowance.   I dont have an open FTP Server at this point so I apologize up front that I cant post the new sound wave for the luvered / tapered baffle.

I love the new mufflers and my wife is fine with them.   To me they are no louder than my old Rhinehart pipes and I like the sound.   The performance baffle is TOO loud for me hence the change.  I have posted the new pictures of the baffle though in the Electra Glide section.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.