Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Polishing versus Waxing  (Read 1983 times)

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
Polishing versus Waxing
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »

I have done detail work for over 30 years, You can polish your paint and then you can wax your paint depending on what your wanting to achieve
Look at the products you are buying and take the time to read what it does, you might be amazed, if it cleans as it waxes then it does not matter how many coats you say you put on it you will still only have one, it cleaned the last one off when you put the next coat on.

Waxing, if you really want to put a good coat of wax on your paint, one that will hold up for a few weeks then use a product that only waxes and contains yellow carnuba wax. The more YELLOW CARNUBA wax in the product the more expensive the wax will be. I use Zymol it costs anywhere around $200.00 a can but there are other less expensive products out there.

Use a good clean micro fiber towel to wipe the polish off with and you should be very happy with the job

Please don't gob a bunch of wax or polish on your paint you will really be surprised how little you need to accomplish most jobs. Usually a very light film is all that is needed the rest ends up a waste on your towel and is twice as hard to get off.

Don't let the wax or polish dry, put it on in a light coat, I usually use my finger tips to apply wax with on my bike and try and wipe it back off it a minute or two. After you have waxed your paint with the first coat come back to it after about 8 hours and apply a second.

After doing it this way a fly will bust his ass if he tries to land on your paint.

NEVER PUT ANY WAXES OR POLISHES ON HOT OR WARM PAINT!!!!!

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
Re: Polishing versus Waxing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »

Good info ---thanks
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »

Using $200 per can wax would cause me to put it on with my non-absorbent fingertips also.  :huepfenlol2: Some mfgs. advise using a 'damp' cloth as the applicator......what are your thoughts on that?   :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »

Polish for perfection, wax for protection.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 01:51:15 AM »

Polish for perfection, wax for protection.
You are so right on that quote.

InfernoSE

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »

The following was taken from Consumer Reports:

"The difference between wax and polish
At one time, wax and polish described two different products. Polish was a slightly abrasive product, used to buff out small scratches and brighten faded paint. Wax was more of a sealant, used to improve shine and provide a layer of protection. These days, the words wax and polish are used interchangeably by makers of the products. Both describe a product that provides a glossy and protective coating, and may or may not remove oxidation and embedded contaminants. Products labeled cleaner wax may be somewhat abrasive and can actually remove some paint from the surface of the vehicle. Care should be used with these products, especially on newer dark-­colored cars. Check your vehicle owner’s manual for advice on cleaning your car."

Dontcha hate it when they change the rules? :nixweiss:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »

Either way...A Pain...

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.