Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Re-painted FXR3--comments?  (Read 12896 times)

elvislee

Re: Re-painted FXR3--comments?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »

Uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm! I wonder if originally it was Blue or Green ??? Either way; It's a shame.

I just sent the seller a msg asking what the original color was; the VIN is 1HD1ETL46XY951464

Just curious
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:20:12 PM by elvislee »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »

Uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm! I wonder if originally it was Blue or Green ??? Either way; It's a shame.

I just sent the seller a msg asking what the original color was; the VIN is 1HD1ETL46XY951464

Just curious

Very ambitious Blaine! :2vrolijk_21:

It would be a sad thing to see on a BLUE3, but we'd have found another one out of the 64! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »

nothing wrong with basic black, but i'll never understand giving up a CVO paint scheme for it

Uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm! I wonder if originally it was Blue or Green ???

The ad on ebay says it's metallic dark green.  Kinda hard to tell from the photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___1999-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FXR3-MOTORCYCLE_W0QQitemZ350156964559QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item350156964559&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

elvislee

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 08:55:37 PM »

I’m not posting this as a notice of a FXR3 for sale—rather for comment.  This is a FXR3 that’s been completely re-painted, for whatever reason--preference or maybe accident repair.  We’ve talked before about if the CVO factory paint jobs effectively mark our bikes as definitely CVO products and if that’s important.  Just thought I’d throw this up here for comment.  So what does everybody think?  Is this FXR3 still a FXR3, or is now another custom FXR?  A quote from the ad:

“The paint has been upgraded to a custom black and flame job, the stock paint on these bikes looks a little dated.”

If anything, I think this paint job is dated.

Just under 30K miles.  Buy it now for $8995.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-Dyna-FXR-SPECIAL-ED-WOW-1999-HARLEY-FXR3-CVO-SCREAMIN-EAGLE-MAKE-OFFER_W0QQitemZ400015552542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item400015552542&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

This sale ended but got the VIN on this one also......1HD1ETL45XY951181...It would be interesting to know what colors both these originally were.

elvislee

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »

REGGAB

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 08:29:40 AM »

nothing wrong with basic black, but i'll never understand giving up a CVO paint scheme for it

Nothing wrong with a Road King............but I'll never understand why anyone would want to put a fairing on one.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

Different Strokes!

Personally, I'm diggin' that bike just like it is, but.......wassup with the primary?  I thought derby was three screws on an Evo.  Like Howie says, possible wreck that became a "cobblization" of whatever cheapest, available parts could be found.

elvislee

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »

I found another re-painted FXR3 on ebay.

Something doesn't look right about the front end--too much rake, maybe?  Handlebars pulled back too far, maybe?  And the fork legs aren't chrome.  This paint job isn't even custom, IMO, so why wouldn't the owner re-paint in the original scheme?  I mean, if something happened to the bike to necessitate new paint, why do this over the original scheme?

Sent msg the other day as to original color of this bike?

A fellow responded back the "Original color is green) Not WAS GREEN ???

I responded back and specifically asked him to please tell me the ORIGINAL STOCK COLOR of the bike from the factory to the dealer? I specifically asked him was it BLUE FLAME or GREEN FLAME?

Got a response back today from the same guy telling me I needed to contact the owner of the bike for the answers to these questions and he gave me a phone number.

I replied back and told I was sorry that I had bothered him and all I needed to know was the original stock color;, but then I added and asked him if it had been wrecked and why did the owner repaint a CVO bike? Anyway, It sounds a bit fishy ta me; especially if I were bidding.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:14:22 PM by elvislee »

dirtyoldman

• 0 to 100 in WTF?!?!
  • Junior CVO Member
  • ain't retired,,, I'm at RECESS!!

• CVO1: 09 CVO FATBOB
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 01:14:35 PM »

re: original color,,,   isnt the color ID part of the vin #?  or didnt they do that "back in the day,,,,"
'til that time, Ustes, 'til that time,,,

elvislee

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »

re: original color,,,   isnt the color ID part of the vin #?  or didnt they do that "back in the day,,,,"

That's what I was thinking also; but looking in my Service Manual of my Fxr4, the VIN is broken down as to identify the numbers in the vin and I just don't see where the color of the bike is noted in the VIN... :nixweiss:

1 HD11 -  These letters and numbers are not identified

EV       -  Model Designation...In this case the Fxr4

L         -  Engine Type...L = Carburated

1         -  This number can be 1-5..1 = Regular Introduction Date, 2 = Mid-Year Intro Date, 3=Calif Only, 4= Spec Edition, 5 = Spec Edition Ca. Only

Y         -  Model Year...Y = year 2000

Y         -  Assembly Plant...Y = York, Pa.

95001   -  Sequential Number...???????

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:  ;D

One thing I do know and I ain't confused about; that ain't stock from the factory  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:47:29 PM by elvislee »

dirtyoldman

• 0 to 100 in WTF?!?!
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »

I guess I could see how someone would want a CVO bike, but a unique look. I could not afford to build up a Stock 'BOB' to match my FXDFSE including paint, but I fell in love with my paint and it ain't changin'!!!

elvislee

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 02:19:35 PM »

Hey, when it comes right down to it; anybody can do whatever they want to their bike.  :2vrolijk_21: I was only curious as to if the owner or seller of this bike could tell me the original color of this bike. The Blue 3's are such rare bikes that I would hate to see someone had changed colors for that reason only. As others have said in this forum; rather than change the colors of the original tins, just buy new tins and have the originals stored. I understand there may be reasons someone would choose to repaint the stock color (whatever they are) rather than buy new tins to repaint. Bottom line...it's your bike; do what ya want with it; but, would still like to know if it was originally Blue stock paint or green stock paint?  :2vrolijk_21:

dirtyoldman

• 0 to 100 in WTF?!?!
  • Junior CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »

true,, in reality a repaint is actually devalueing the bike, but making the similar models more rare.  hmmm  :idea3: If i could just convince a thousand or so FXDFSE owners to repaint theirs,,,  mine would be hella rare!!   :devil:

:cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:
Rednecks on Parade!!

elvislee

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 03:41:44 AM »

Don't tell everybody your idea  ;) :grin2:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:45:26 AM by elvislee »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.