Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Why 88 Year olds shouldnt be driving  (Read 6143 times)

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
Why 88 Year olds shouldnt be driving
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »

I am new to this site, found it with all the free time I now have from my accident.  I guess alittle about me first would be nice, 35 yrs old live near the Amish land in PA.  Own a 06 SEFB.  It was my divorce present to myself, had an 01 Fatboy but the ex hated it so I sold it.  I had close to 15k on the clock at the time of the accident.  I love this bike felt it was made for me.  Anyways I had just got done riding back from my girlfriends house who lives in New Jersey 120 miles away to be exact.  It was an unusual day for May almost 85 degrees so I wanted to go for a quick ride before I went to work.  I driving along coming up to a big intersection when as soon as I cross the white line you are to stop at a 88 yr old man in a full size Chevy pulls right in my lane and stops.  I was going about 50 mph.  This is a 6 lane intersection,  I was in the hammer lane had cars to the right of me couldnt go that way and had traffic coming towards me.  He was coming towards me turning left.  Needless to say I didnt have much time or many options.  I tried to go around him.  Didnt work.  I hit the corner of his bumper with my leg right below my knee.  6 more inches and I would of cleared him.  I flew off the bike 90 ft through the air, my bike went 150 ft without me.  I actually thought I was ok once I stopped rolling around till I looked at my right leg.  My tibia was sticking out through my jeans and blood was pouring out.  When my tibia came out it tore the main artery that runs down the leg. I was screamin at this point thought for sure I was going to bleed to death on the road.  Within seconds the double yellow line was covered with my blood.  It was like a hose.  I heard a lady yelling at the 911 operator saying to get there as fast as possible or they were going to have a dead man on the road.  She proceeded to come over and put her hands NO gloves on and hold my leg to try to control the bleeding.  I told her I didnt wanna die laying on the road and didnt wanna loose my girlfriend.  My bike stopped right in front of a tractor trailer.  I heard the air brakes go off, and the driver say HOLY F@#$IN SH!T.  He got out of his truck and got some rope from a tool box and the lady and him tied my leg off.  At this point the Emt's had showed up, the lady and the truck driver refused to let go, was so nice to see complete strangers want to see me live.  And yes I was awake for all of this, I was taken to a helicopter where I flown to Lancaster General, I was awake till we got to the hospital.  I remembe nothing after for 4 days.  The old man said he never saw me.  From what I have heard they took his license from him that day.  They also had to bring a fire truck in wash the road from all my blood.  The end result,  shattered tibia, 8 pieces to be exact.  And no I wasnt wearing a helmet, my baseball hat never came off my head nor did my sunglasses, my cell phone was fine.  The only other injury I had was a quarter size road rash on my one elbow.  This is to all elderly people I know you need to get around but if you cant see dont change our lives like this. This happened May 28th and I am still laying in bed.  I think I  have had a total of 10 surgeries, still have one or two more to go.  The bike wasnt that bad destroyed my light bar and the heat shields, and the front fender...

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Why 88 Year olds shouldnt be driving
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »

pic of where the bike landed

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:08:05 PM »

my leg

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »

another one of my leg

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »

one more of the leg

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »

The muscle they took out of my stomach

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 10:13:21 PM »

Skin graphs, did I mention how bad they burn!!!!

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »

This was after my most recent surgery looks nice huh??

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »

My latest xray
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:03:44 PM by flynhigh205 »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »

Flynhigh, I think everyone is speechless.

Welcome to the site and best wishes for a full recovery.  I can't imagine the surgeries and recovery time.

Glad you found the site, keep us posted on your recovery and rehab.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »

I AM SPEECHLESS! I'm very sorry you are going through this but thank God it could have been worse. I hope you heal well and get back in the wind soon.

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »

I forgot to add the most ironic part to all of this.  I broke the exact same bone in my left 4 years prior to this accident.  Not on my Harley was racing my quad.  Didnt clear a double jump and shattered my left tibia.  I have 20 screws and two 12 inch plates holding that leg together.  My right leg has one plate and ten screws.  They had to take arteries from my left leg and put them in my right leg.  Will I ride again yes with out a doubt if the mental thing does not screw with me to much. I have loved motorcycles since I was a little kid.  Oh yeah that first break was the cause of my divorce.  When you go through something like this you really see someones true colors.  10 years of marriage and I knew after the accident she wasnt the one for me.  One other topic I would like ot let all fellow riders know about.  I only had 15grand uninsured underinsured protection.  Do yourself a favor and get the max coverage you can, I will changing mine to 500k.  Its worth it in the long run. I have been ou of work since May its now Dec probably wont be going back till the end of Feb if I can. I still cant feel anything on the bottom of my foot, and my toes feel like they are curling under me.  It sucks to say the least... If you look in the first pic the dark spots on the yellow line was the blood.

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »

Thank you for the words of encouragment.  Ill be back on my bike.  I know I used up a life in this accident  I took 13 pints of blood in the hospital. The human body holds 10, I should of died, I know it.  I can walk now, just have no strength in my thigh.  I am in PT right now,  but will have to my knee scoped to free up the scar tissue.  Thats me and my bike in happier times at Devils Tower

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »

Seems like you've dealt with it and have a good attitude for recovery.  Great to see you and your bike.

We'll all be looking forward to your reunion with the bike and see you out in the wind again :2vrolijk_21:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »

flynhigh, I too am speechless. I hesitate to read this stories because I have never had an accident and I do't want doubts in my head but I also want to pick up any wisdom possible that might help me in a tense situation. I hope you continue to heal (faster would be nicer) and want to welcome you to this great site. I will keep you in my prayers and look forward to updates on your condition.

Blessings to you during these trying times!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.