Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: HD trade in allowance  (Read 12680 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
HD trade in allowance
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »

My son sent me a note about HD offering full MSRP on a Sportster 07-08 trade in for a bigger bike, regardless of any deal you made.

It is good for him, after taking his 08 Nightster on a 15 mile ride to the dealer for service for him I called him up and told him he needed a bigger bike.  :nixweiss: Way too small.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
Re: HD trade in allowance
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »

I have heard that same story several times on this site.  I would think if he can get it than go for it.  I doubt the sportsters are going to hold their value any better now than they have been.

With a slightly trimmed price tag and a slow moving economy now may be the best time to move up.  What is he interested in?

That new SERG at Atlantic County HD is off the hook, albiet much more $$ than the nightster.  Remember all the new touring bikes have that new frame everybody is raving about.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »

My son sent me a note about HD offering full MSRP on a Sportster 07-08 trade in for a bigger bike, regardless of any deal you made.

It is good for him, after taking his 08 Nightster on a 15 mile ride to the dealer for service for him I called him up and told him he needed a bigger bike.  :nixweiss: Way too small.

Duane,
I've gotten emails from a few of the HD dealers in the area (Waugh, Richmond, Fairfax and HD of Washington) and they are all offering this "Ride for Free" promotion.  Bring the Sportster in and trade it in on a bigger bike and get what you paid for it on trade-in.  Would venture to guess, although it doesn't say it, that it would be beneficial if you originally bought the Sportster from them.  :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 07:44:17 PM »

As is the case with any vehicular transaction that involves more than one vehicle at a time, this trade in program is only a good deal if the dealer doesn't stick it to you on the new vehicle.  I would suggest that anyone interested first approach the dealership without mentioning a trade and get the best price for the new bike.  Then, and only then, bring the trade into the conversation.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »

Confirmed in our area too...

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »

Good idea Jerry.  Watch em back track then.

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »

Looks like my local dealer has few restrictions. Have you had that 07 Sportster less than a year?

http://www.hdwytheville.com/

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »

Looks like my local dealer has few restrictions. Have you had that 07 Sportster less than a year?

http://www.hdwytheville.com/

I wonder if the trade in offer has anything to do with HOT Sportster sales lately. The couple dealers i frequent tell me the Sportster are the hottest selling model right now.

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:44:34 AM »

It was up no Harleys website a couple of days ago.

Rob
Rob

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »

I spoke with a friend of mine, who is the sales manager at one of the 3 local HD dealers in the area, which are all owned by the same guy. They have decided not to participate in the "ride for free" sportster promotion. According to him, HD is reembursing the dealer $1500 if the sportster that is traded in is a 1200cc. If it's not, the dealer has to eat the whole enchilada.

I would think as slow as things have been at all of these dealers, they would entertain any notion of bringing in some fresh business, especially when the surrounding dealers are all participating. In essence, if you trade in a 1200 sporty, assuming it lost $2500 in the first year, you'd be getting $1000 off of sticker on the new bike. $1000 from the dealer and $1500 from HD. The dealers in my area are sticker only, and the fear of the owner is it would create customers that would expect discounts in the future. I suppose this topic is highly debatable lol.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »

OH MY GOD !!!!

What if thousands of people in his area wanted to buy a Harley but wanted a discount

GEEZ  ...  what would a person do

Harley needs to learn how to sell    not order take and gouge         just my lack of knowledge

sorry
                                                                                  wts
someday- today-will be the good old days

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »

The caveat to this offer (from the HD website) is that the dealer must be a "participating".

Either way, for my son it could work out well. He has a new (August 08) 2008 Nightster with only 1000 miles. And next month he he writes his last payment (his plan - buy it pay it off in 6 months).

He asked me two months ago if the trade in value drops like cars and of course we know how that is. So an offer to trade his bike in on new and get full msrp value on what I think would normally be about 70-80% for his bike is a win for him.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »

The wife and I have been discussing taking advantage of the offer and getting her a new bike.  I would really like to get her a Dyna Low Rider, she wants a Softail Deluxe.  I guess it all depends on what we can find at a "participating" dealer.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »

This looks like the sales program that they had the first couple of years the 883 Sportster came out.  I know a guy and a lady (not related) that took advantage of that back then......they're both on Dynas (coincidentally) now.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »

This looks like the sales program that they had the first couple of years the 883 Sportster came out.  I know a guy and a lady (not related) that took advantage of that back then......they're both on Dynas (coincidentally) now.

They did it with the Buell Blast to get people into Harleys a lil while ago too. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.