Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Garmin Zumo 660 NOW RELEASED!!!!  (Read 37163 times)

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Garmin Zumo 660 NOW RELEASED!!!!
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 05:58:12 PM »

Actually, I find the touch screen easy to use.  The buttons require some pressure, the touch screen doesn't.  That being said I'm still on the fence about the 660.  I won't make up my mind before it's been released and someone who owns a 550 has had a chance to evaluate and compare the two units.
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE Black/Crimson
    • CVO2: 19 BMW R1250 GSA
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »

Unfortunately, I may be the guinea pig.  My 07 Chevy Avalanche was broken into this week and among many other things taken was my beloved Zumo 550 hidden deep in the console.  Any Chevy owners with an Avalanche type door handle be warned ---- very easy to manipulate.  An 07 Yukon close by was also broken into that day.  Anyway, I'll be replacing the Zumo as I really liked it but will take a hard look at the 660 v 550.  Right now by just reading the comparison, I can't see moving to the 660.  With XM already on the SEUC I don't need the option, but am hoping to use the bluetooth in the future when I get the Nolan or J&M setup.  I don't understand why the 660 is limited to 10 routes, and also liked using a full size SDHC card on the 550 for tunes and data rather than the mini card.  Unless I learn some hard reasons to convert to the 660, I may try and wait for the expected price reductions to the 550 as seen with the phase out of the 450.  What would you do???
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »

to the 660, I may try and wait for the expected price reductions to the 550 as seen with the phase out of the 450.  What would you do???

You seem to be convincing yourself to stay with the 550.

If you liked it, the different format of the 660 may not be what you are looking for.

Over the years of using a variety of navigation equipment (marine)  I found that the first units I learned to use were the format and use style that I stuck with.

Same with the modern portable GPS units.

Although almost everyone that has a Zumo 550 raves about them, I don't care for the way it works or the user interface. But, my first portable was the Garmin 276c, learned how to use it, learned all the features and that is the reason I stayed with the Garmin 478 over the 550 I got a great deal on to try out.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »

You seem to be convincing yourself to stay with the 550.

If you liked it, the different format of the 660 may not be what you are looking for.

Over the years of using a variety of navigation equipment (marine)  I found that the first units I learned to use were the format and use style that I stuck with.

Same with the modern portable GPS units.

Although almost everyone that has a Zumo 550 raves about them, I don't care for the way it works or the user interface. But, my first portable was the Garmin 276c, learned how to use it, learned all the features and that is the reason I stayed with the Garmin 478 over the 550 I got a great deal on to try out.

I couldn't agree more. I've tried the Street Pilot and the 550. Neither one compared to the 478, in my eyes. I too started with the 276c Plus as my first chart plotting GPS.  I still have my very 1st unit, a Garmin V, floating around some where.

Since the Garmin 478 was brought up above, on these units you have the option of the verbal instructions being announced as in they can be turned off.

Although what you can't do yet is adjust the verbal instructions and XM volumes independently. The voice announcement is a bit louder then the XM and a bit annoying in that aspect.

Duane, are you sure about this? I know I can mute the XM portion. I thought there was an independent volume for each. ???

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »

Unfortunately, I may be the guinea pig.  My 07 Chevy Avalanche was broken into this week and among many other things taken was my beloved Zumo 550 hidden deep in the console.  Any Chevy owners with an Avalanche type door handle be warned ---- very easy to manipulate.  An 07 Yukon close by was also broken into that day.  Anyway, I'll be replacing the Zumo as I really liked it but will take a hard look at the 660 v 550.  Right now by just reading the comparison, I can't see moving to the 660.  With XM already on the SEUC I don't need the option, but am hoping to use the bluetooth in the future when I get the Nolan or J&M setup.  I don't understand why the 660 is limited to 10 routes, and also liked using a full size SDHC card on the 550 for tunes and data rather than the mini card.  Unless I learn some hard reasons to convert to the 660, I may try and wait for the expected price reductions to the 550 as seen with the phase out of the 450.  What would you do???
From what I've been reading it's probably going to be a couple more months before the 660 is released. Don't know how soon you looking to replace or if that will make a difference. In regards to the 10 routes from what I've been reading it appears that is the standard for all the newer units by Garmin. I'm not sure what I would do at this point if I were in the position to have to buy a new GPS. I don't currently have/use XM, nor bluetooth, but the larger screen with more pixels would definitely have me looking at the 660. Good luck whatever you decide. :2vrolijk_21:

PS.. One other thing I read today was they didn't have available the mounts for the 660's at the CES and that is supposedly one of the delays in getting it into production. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2009, 08:16:47 PM »

I couldn't agree more. I've tried the Street Pilot and the 550. Neither one compared to the 478, in my eyes. I too started with the 276c Plus as my first chart plotting GPS.  I still have my very 1st unit, a Garmin V, floating around some where.

Duane, are you sure about this? I know I can mute the XM portion. I thought there was an independent volume for each. ???

AJ - as far I know you can control the volume and/or mute the XM output. But when you are playing the XM and voice guidance comes on it is noticeably louder then the XM broadcast. When talking to Garmin reps I have brought that up along with a few other suggestions. The only answers I got were sit tight there should be a variety of consumer requests in an upcoming software update. With the possibility of a video display possibly being one of them.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »

Just read something interesting about the 660, instead of XM capabalities it will have MSN Direct...

What is MSN Direct Connected Navigation Made Simple…Get up-to-date traffic, current gas prices, weather, news, stocks, local events, movie information, and Send to GPS all sent wirelessly to your navigation device

Only drawback this service may not be available in all areas. :(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2009, 08:26:21 PM »

Click -> here <- for MSN Direct coverage map. One good thing about it is the cost... They offer a one time payment plan of $129 (or $49.95/yr). :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »

AJ - as far I know you can control the volume and/or mute the XM output. But when you are playing the XM and voice guidance comes on it is noticeably louder then the XM broadcast. When talking to Garmin reps I have brought that up along with a few other suggestions. The only answers I got were sit tight there should be a variety of consumer requests in an upcoming software update. With the possibility of a video display possibly being one of them.

That makes sense. I've never used it that way as I have the XM radio through the HK unit.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2009, 08:58:45 PM »

Click -> here <- for MSN Direct coverage map. One good thing about it is the cost... They offer a one time payment plan of $129 (or $49.95/yr). :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Here's some fine print that sounds interesting:

"Garmin nüvi® 285WT

When you buy this GPS device, your purchase includes an MSN Direct receiver and 3 months of free service from MSN Direct.

Note: To receive Flight Status and Doppler Weather Maps service on your navigation device, you need to download a software update from Garmin WebUpdater which will be made available soon."

I'm sure this will be available on the 660. I guess they're moving away from the XM NEXRAD weather and picking up data signals from Doppler.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2009, 09:01:59 AM »

Here's another video of the 660...

If you want to view it in HD use this link - , and click on "HD" in the lower right for better viewing (see pic below)...

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26755.msg433613#msg433613

We have been using the Garmin Nuvi 750 for over a year with absolutely no problems. The company says not vibration resistant nor waterproof but it has worked just fine. The Garmin 760 offers bluetooth which the 750 does not have. The $260 price made it worth taking a chance and it has been fine for our needs (directions). Take a look at the above link for my old posting about the unit and mount.

Plasmaman

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »

I just saw on Garmin's website that the Street Pilot 2820 is showing up as a discontinued unit.  Does that mean that we might see it selling for a low price?  How does that unit compare with the Zumo 550?  I no it doesn't have it's own battery, so it would have to be hard wired.  Does it give voice prompts through the HK stereo or only through the included speaker?  Just curious, since there may be some good deals on them.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »

I just searched the forum and I think I found my answers about comparing the units.  It sounds like it's dependent on the user, which one will provide more satisfaction...so if there are deals out there on the 2820, it may be enough to make someone's decision for them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »

I just saw on Garmin's website that the Street Pilot 2820 is showing up as a discontinued unit.  Does that mean that we might see it selling for a low price?  How does that unit compare with the Zumo 550?  I no it doesn't have it's own battery, so it would have to be hard wired.  Does it give voice prompts through the HK stereo or only through the included speaker?  Just curious, since there may be some good deals on them.

I use the 2820.  No battery power and no slot for plugging in an external memory card (so any route has to be uploaded to the unit via cable or done through its own display).

Personally the 2820 does everything I need it to.  Can use the aux in on the radio for voice prompts through the bike speakers or bluetooth to the helmet (if you've got that in your lid) for voice prompts that way.  Wish it had stereo bluetooth but I'd have to upgrade the lid to take advantage of it anyway...  :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 22 queries.