Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New FXSTSSE3 back from the shop with new pipes  (Read 4694 times)

crash

New FXSTSSE3 back from the shop with new pipes
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:29:15 AM »

Recently got my bike from the dealer with the V&H Big radius pipes on the 2009 110 ci motor.  Very nice but looking for some input on the dyno results.  In particular, seems to be pretty lean up to about 4500 rpm's according to some of the posts i've seen here. The picture may be hard to see, but goes as high as about 15 parts air at the 3500 rmp range. Performance seems good but just wondering about whats right.  Overall numbers are Max HP of 86.4 at 3700 rpm and Torque of 107.9 at 4800 rmp.  Thanks for any advice.

John

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
Re: New FXSTSSE3 back from the shop with new pipes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »

I have a 2007 FXSTSSE that I got in October. I put the Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes on along with the Screaming eagle Big Breather and had the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner installed and Dy-nod at Renegade HD in Alexandria La. The Service manager said that the place to set the air mixture is 14 parts but due to the higher humidity in LA. They set it around 13.8 on mine. 86 hp. and 122 torque at the same RPM. The main thing you want is the Bike not to be running to lean. I think this is the biggest problem for the 110 Engine getting to Hot and loosing the rear head gasket. I hope this was help to you. Good Luck and Enjoy....Jeff
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »

Recently got my bike from the dealer with the V&H Big radius pipes on the 2009 110 ci motor.  Very nice but looking for some input on the dyno results.  In particular, seems to be pretty lean up to about 4500 rpm's according to some of the posts i've seen here. The picture may be hard to see, but goes as high as about 15 parts air at the 3500 rmp range. Performance seems good but just wondering about whats right.  Overall numbers are Max HP of 86.4 at 3700 rpm and Torque of 107.9 at 4800 rmp.  Thanks for any advice.

John

what are you using for fuel management?   SERT?  TTS?   PCIII???

they should have been able to tune it richer for more power....
otherwise, what's the point of putting a bike on the dyno if you're not going to tune it???
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:19:52 PM by Deuce Bigelow »
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

crash

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:57:19 PM »

Thanks for the info. I'm using a SERT. I guess I may bring it back and have them redo it. I hate the thought of thinking that they didn't really do anything for the money I gave them the first time but no way to know I guess.

4seccamaro

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:04:22 PM »

I just had Bub JugHuggers installed on my 08 FXSTSSE2 and it made almost identical numbers on the dyno. 87hp/107tq but the AFR was down around 13.2:1. Already had a PCIII but never really dyno tuned with the factory pipes and Rush mufflers. He set it up to be a little rich and run cooler at cruising speed and got all of the decel popping out of it. Man these things are loud and look great! Will try to post some pics later.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »

Thanks for the info. I'm using a SERT. I guess I may bring it back and have them redo it. I hate the thought of thinking that they didn't really do anything for the money I gave them the first time but no way to know I guess.

from the looks of the AFR on the dyno sheet, I'd say they just loaded a MAP and ran it on the dyno.
they should have adjusted so the AFR wasn't so lean. that red dotted line is where the AFR should have been........

crash

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »

Well, we see what happens. Just talked to the service manager at the shop. While he said he'll run it again, he claims that he may not be able to get the popping on deceleration out and that he doesn't think running up to about 15 on the air ratio is too high...?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 03:07:59 PM »

Well, we see what happens. Just talked to the service manager at the shop. While he said he'll run it again, he claims that he may not be able to get the popping on deceleration out and that he doesn't think running up to about 15 on the air ratio is too high...?

With an answer like that from him, I would never let them tune or touch the bike again! He's BSing ya or has no clue what he's talking about! I'd get my $$$ back and go somewhere else. Prolly won't give it to ya. But I can't see them ever getting it right with that attitude! :o :nixweiss: >:(

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 03:10:11 PM »

PM me for my email, then send me the map...it is yours and they should give it to you...

crash

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »

I'll be happy to send you the map but what can you do with that?

Thanks for all the advice on getting to the bottom of this.

Crash

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 09:47:13 AM »

run away from that shop..... :o

4seccamaro

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »

Here is a picture of the JugHuggers.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »

Here is a picture of the JugHuggers.

Those are nice! I like those. Great look on that bike!!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »

Curious if you met the actual service tech and discuss what your options were before you had the work done?If I were you with the answers you were given I'm with HOIST!, run outta there like your hairs on fire. I met with The service tech. twice and he addressed all my concerns,Its my money (lots of it being spent ) Its my bike, its my riding style why shouldnt i have it my damn way.  He did everything I asked,  Slightly lower idle (old school) 825 RPM, Cooler running, (re-jet,ya right),and get what we could out of her 91.96 RWHP @ 121 # torque. I was also worried about the baffles in the V&H and not being loud enough (they were) so he tuned it called me in to let me hear and ride it and said if I didnt like it he'd take some length out and try her again!   Now i swear I never met this fellow before but when he saw I was a real person not a work order things got real smooth. When we were done he told me that over the years of servicing (23yrs wow!) and tuning only a handful of people have communicated with him on what they want?? 

If I were you I'd take your business elsewhere and start from scratch!!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:20 AM »

Everybody is right. If he can't adjust the air mixture down and stop the exhaust from popping when you decelerate. You need to find another place to go. Cajun HD has a good reputation and Renegade in Alexandria has a good Tech. Its a small drive but well worth it. If you go to Renegade ask for Chris. He is the Service Manager. I made a mistake in my earlier comment. My air mixture was 14.18. Good luck!!!
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.