Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear tire?  (Read 2470 times)

rogerutley

• Junior CVO Member
  • fxr3
Rear tire?
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »

hello all, after reading the other topics i must admit i am a little confused...  let me see if i have this right...  if i go with a dunlop 150mm tire i will need to do some slight mods  i.e.  new sprocket, belt etc.....if i go with one size over i can just replace the 130 with a 140...is this correct???   if so, does dunlop make the correct 140 or will i need another brand???????????       thx
fxr3

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Rear tire?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »

tires are, like so much of these things, a personal choice and experience

I have an FXR4, I HATE the way the Dunlops perform on my bike.  They don't hold the road, they wander around an follow every tar snake and crack in the highway. The skidd around in the high speed curves and are un-nerving in the twisties. 

I've been running Metlzers Marathon 880's on my bike for the past 7 years and love them !  The rubber is a softer compound than the Dunlops and they perform SO MUCH BETTER.

Size .... I'm running 140 / 90 B16 on the rear and did not have to make any modifications.  I will tell you though, this is the largest tire that will fit this bike without mods. And if/when you go to a 140 rear, you have to MAKE SURE that everything is lined up or it will be rubbing  somewhere. 
Watch for where the belt guard is on the inside ..... it's VERY TIGHT in there !  The next TIGHT spot is what the shock mounting bolts come through the fender .... be EXTRA careful there because the bolts could cut your tire real easy.

I LOVE THESE TIRES !!!!!!   So much so, that I have refused to even try some other brand.

On my last bike I used to run nothing but Pirelli's for about 12 years .... but I haven't even put those on this bike since I tried the Met's, go figure .... when it's working for me, I seldom change it up  ....

Good Luck

Let us know what you decide to do

Mikey
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »

"..........hello all, after reading the other topics i must admit i am a little confused...  let me see if i have this right...  if i go with a dunlop 150mm tire i will need to do some slight mods  i.e.  new sprocket, belt etc.....correct if i go with one size over i can just replace the 130 with a 140...is this correct??? sure  if so, does dunlop make the correct 140 or will i need another brand? your choice......."

rogerutley~~~

I am assuming you read this "THREAD" about the 150mm on Dave's FXR3 that I have provided a "LINK" to below? ? ? ? ?  So you are correct you need to change sprocket and belt to get a 150mm on your FXR3 if you so desire one.   As for what tire you desire to use as far as manufactuerer or style that's entirely your choice.....the bottom line is "mostly" any new tire will feel better than a worn tire....as you can read within the "THREAD" below I am running Metzler's but people are having issues with some Metzler's today as far as quality of production.....I personally decided that going to a 150mm wasn't worth the expense of changing my rear sprocket and belt to fit a 150mm.  But if you desire to run a 150mm on your FXR3 it is possible to do it.  Like Mikey said above and what you will find if you do your own research is that every manufactuerer ultimately has a different width for each tire they manufacture....there is no absolute standard....every tire will offer a different overall height as well as overall width even though the classification may be for a 140mm tire....so you have to check them closely....and about the only thing you can do is use the OEM tire that came on the FXR as your basis of comparision....if you read the "THREAD" below which I have 'LINKED" for you you will notice just how close my tire comes to the belt as well....and it's a 130 which is close to a 140mm anyway....so in part I understand your confusion and in part there is no confusion....LOL ok....if I continue here I am going to get confused....LOL

SIMPLY, CLICK, VIEW, & READ:

150mm Tire WILL IT FIT ON AN FXR2, FXR3, & OR FXR4

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:25:03 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why would someone want to go to a bigger rear tire?  And only the rear tire?

I could (sort of) follow the logic if both tires were in question.  Is this purely a style thing?  I know it's a popular look on customs and choppers....which are built for very wide rear tires to begin with, and don't even pretend to handle.  The drag bike look.

I would think that on a motorcycle, some strange handling characteristics would come into play if the rear tire was substantially larger (wider) than the front.

Not throwing down a gauntlet, just wondering. :nixweiss:

rogerutley

• Junior CVO Member
  • fxr3
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »

for me,    i just like the looks of a wider tire!!!
fxr3

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »

Fair enough. :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:18:57 PM »

me, well, I like the look of a bigger tire back there ..... not like a chopper, that's just not right on the FXR4

I think the 140 looks kewl, it's only marginally larger than the 130, but puts just a tad more rubber on the road
There's not enough difference between the 140 and the stock size up front to affect the handling .... the bike is eggzelent with the Mets on it !

Now, I just need a Traxxion cartridge front end and a fork brace, and PM calipers and I'm all set ........ GIDDY UP !!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »

Metzler Lasertech. Oversize front 110/90 - 19 M/C 62V TL, stock size rear 130/90 - 16 M/C 67V TL, both V rated. My choice on a street bike! They're on my Pro Street and my Wide Glide. And when I need new tires on Joy, they'll be on her too! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 06:31:09 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why would someone want to go to a bigger rear tire?  And only the rear tire?

I could (sort of) follow the logic if both tires were in question.  Is this purely a style thing?  I know it's a popular look on customs and choppers....which are built for very wide rear tires to begin with, and don't even pretend to handle.  The drag bike look.

I would think that on a motorcycle, some strange handling characteristics would come into play if the rear tire was substantially larger (wider) than the front.

Not throwing down a gauntlet, just wondering. :nixweiss:

No need to go anything more than 1 size over if ya don't change wheels too. You won't get the benefit of the increased contact patch mounted on an undersized rim. The tire won't handle radial loads as designed either. Every tire has a recommended rim size you should stay within. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »

Metzler Lasertech. Oversize front 110/90 - 19 M/C 62V TL, stock size rear 130/90 - 16 M/C 67V TL, both V rated. My choice on a street bike! They're on my Pro Street and my Wide Glide. And when I need new tires on Joy, they'll be on her too! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

how do they compare/differ with the 880 Marathons ??
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »

how do they compare/differ with the 880 Marathons ??

Never tried the 880's on a street bike. The 880's are more towards a touring tire, while the Lasertechs are more of a performance tire. If you go on a lot of trips, I'm not sure I'd use it over the 880's. Also the load ratings might be higher on the 880's. I never worried about any of that on my street bikes. Only the performance of the tire. Very nice handling with these babys! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.