Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Luggage to fit the 09 SE Ultra luggage rack  (Read 7924 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Luggage to fit the 09 SE Ultra luggage rack
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:42 PM »

I saw in an old post that Hoist bought one of the bags I was looking at...the T-Bag Roller Dekker.  The other one I was looking at was the other Dekker bag...maybe Dekker Supreme or something.  Has anyone tried these bags on an 09.  It appears that the new luggage rack is smaller from front to rear.  I also want the biggest bag that I can get on there, and I would prefer something with a full opening top entry.  Both of the Dekker bags look exactly like what I want, but I'm concerned about the fit from front to rear.  The flat, lower section of the new racks is only a bit over 9".

Hoist, it appears that you were going ahead the the Roller Dekker.  If you did, do you know anyone local to you with an 09 or with the Air Wing Luggage Rack that you may be able to test it out on sometime to see if it will work on there?  Just an idea.  It looks like you and I had all the exact same bags in mind and we seemed to like what they had to offer in the same order.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Luggage to fit the 09 SE Ultra luggage rack
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:59 PM »

I saw in an old post that Hoist bought one of the bags I was looking at...the T-Bag Roller Dekker.  The other one I was looking at was the other Dekker bag...maybe Dekker Supreme or something.  Has anyone tried these bags on an 09.  It appears that the new luggage rack is smaller from front to rear.  I also want the biggest bag that I can get on there, and I would prefer something with a full opening top entry.  Both of the Dekker bags look exactly like what I want, but I'm concerned about the fit from front to rear.  The flat, lower section of the new racks is only a bit over 9".

Hoist, it appears that you were going ahead the the Roller Dekker.  If you did, do you know anyone local to you with an 09 or with the Air Wing Luggage Rack that you may be able to test it out on sometime to see if it will work on there?  Just an idea.  It looks like you and I had all the exact same bags in mind and we seemed to like what they had to offer in the same order.

If it works on my Contour Luggage Rack, it'll surely work on your '09. Yours is larger than the Contour. I don't use the Premium Rack. I love the bag. A clip in each corner of the rack and off ya go. I like the convenience of it being more of a piece of carry-on luggage, than a bag after it's off. That's why I got that one. I'm happy with it. Between the KTP, the hard bags, and this thing, we're good to go anywhere! :2vrolijk_21:

But a fairing, we don't need no stinking fairing!!! ;D :D ;D :D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »

If it works on my Contour Luggage Rack, it'll surely work on your '09. Yours is larger than the Contour. I don't use the Premium Rack. I love the bag. A clip in each corner of the rack and off ya go. I like the convenience of it being more of a piece of carry-on luggage, than a bag after it's off. That's why I got that one. I'm happy with it. Between the KTP, the hard bags, and this thing, we're good to go anywhere! :2vrolijk_21:

But a fairing, we don't need no stinking fairing!!! ;D :D ;D :D ;)

Hoist! 8)

I just looked at the contoured rack and it doesn't have the rear raised up...just the front.  The Air Wing dips down in the middle and it raised at front and back.  Ideally, it looks like it's made to put the roll bag type of bag in there.  I figured I would have to put it in the lowest part of the rack at the rear, and then it would overlap the front most part of the rack, and the entire bag would be sitting at an angle that way...more so than what it would on yours.  Do you still think it would be okay on that rack?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:35 PM »

I just looked at the contoured rack and it doesn't have the rear raised up...just the front.  The Air Wing dips down in the middle and it raised at front and back.  Ideally, it looks like it's made to put the roll bag type of bag in there.  I figured I would have to put it in the lowest part of the rack at the rear, and then it would overlap the front most part of the rack, and the entire bag would be sitting at an angle that way...more so than what it would on yours.  Do you still think it would be okay on that rack?

Didn't realize that. What a strange design. :nixweiss:

Prolly designed to be used with Genuine HD Luggage, completely redesigned and patented for '09, to keep the aftermarket away!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D

The RD is a stiff bag. It won't conform to a dip like that. But if it fits withing the front and rear, it might be OK. But they say it's made for the Premium TP rack. I don't know if the Dekker Supreme will be much different. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 12:01:51 AM »

Didn't realize that. What a strange design. :nixweiss:

Prolly designed to be used with Genuine HD Luggage, completely redesigned and patented for '09, to keep the aftermarket away!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D

The RD is a stiff bag. It won't conform to a dip like that. But if it fits withing the front and rear, it might be OK. But they say it's made for the Premium TP rack. I don't know if the Dekker Supreme will be much different. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

That's what has been keeping me from ordering one.  They really made it a small area and like you said, it's like they made it so the bags they make will fit.  I know someone with the Dekker Supreme, but I doubt that we will be in the same place with our bikes anytime soon for me to try his.  I don't know of anyone in my area that stocks bags at that price level.  I think I will start calling around to see if anyone does happen to stock them.  No better way than actually trying one of the bike.    Thanks!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »

That's what has been keeping me from ordering one.  They really made it a small area and like you said, it's like they made it so the bags they make will fit.  I know someone with the Dekker Supreme, but I doubt that we will be in the same place with our bikes anytime soon for me to try his.  I don't know of anyone in my area that stocks bags at that price level.  I think I will start calling around to see if anyone does happen to stock them.  No better way than actually trying one of the bike.    Thanks!

My rack has the rear raised up, not the front. Opposite what you said, but no dip in the middle, so that's no help to you. Here's a pic of the RD on my Countour rack from the rear. You can see it's pretty large in relation to the top of the TP, regardless of what rack you have. But it's gotta sit securely and you need to know that. I ordered mine from Jenni sight unseen. Don't think they're stocked at too many places. Look fort the biggest TBag dealer near you. Maybe they'll have em there. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:14:31 AM »

Here's a lil closer. It's not a pic of the bag, so pardon the centering. I'm not that lame!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:33:50 AM »

My rack has the rear raised up, not the front. Opposite what you said, but no dip in the middle, so that's no help to you. Here's a pic of the RD on my Countour rack from the rear. You can see it's pretty large in relation to the top of the TP, regardless of what rack you have. But it's gotta sit securely and you need to know that. I ordered mine from Jenni sight unseen. Don't think they're stocked at too many places. Look fort the biggest TBag dealer near you. Maybe they'll have em there. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Sorry about that.  I knew which end it was.  I guess I was talking from standing at the back of the bike and calling it the front. Never mind...I think you know what I mean and like you said, it still doesn't help me.  That is a nice big bag.  Exactly what I would like to have.  Was there any discount through Jenni?  I found the Dekker Supreme on ebay for $185, but not the rolling bag.  There was also another Dekker bag made by someone else, and it's very similar to the Dekker Supreme for about $50 less.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:38:11 AM »

Sorry about that.  I knew which end it was.  I guess I was talking from standing at the back of the bike and calling it the front. Never mind...I think you know what I mean and like you said, it still doesn't help me.  That is a nice big bag.  Exactly what I would like to have.  Was there any discount through Jenni?  I found the Dekker Supreme on ebay for $185, but not the rolling bag.  There was also another Dekker bag made by someone else, and it's very similar to the Dekker Supreme for about $50 less.

Like everything else with her, 20% off list. ;)

Hoist! 8)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 12:39:26 AM »

I just remembered that I placed a bid on a Dekker Supreme on ebay. I bid $98 and I am still high bidder, but it's under the reserve, so I don't think I have to worry about it.  The shipping is ridiculous ($45), so I doubt the bidding will go much higher with that amount for shipping.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:41:11 AM »

Like everything else with her, 20% off list. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Then that's a pretty good price for that bag.  I wish I knew it would fit on mine.  I'm not buying one now until I figure out if one of those two will fit.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 01:05:54 AM »

Then that's a pretty good price for that bag.  I wish I knew it would fit on mine.  I'm not buying one now until I figure out if one of those two will fit.

I've just been looking at some pics of '09's. Still after looking it's tough to call. Do you have a closeup of the rack? Looks like ya might be able to set it against the rear, and let it ride up a lil in the front if ya have to. It looks angled toward the front. Is it? Tough call without trying. Go to one of the IMS. TBag will be there and so will HD. You can see everything there! Maybe they'll even let ya bring the bag over to the bike to try out! ;)

Hoist! 8)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 01:15:08 AM »

I won't be able to take the bike to the IMS...the one I'm going to is in Cleveland at the end of this month.  I don't think it will be riding weather, but it may give me a chance to see the bag.  Without the foam inserts, might there be some flexibility to the bag?  I really don't think that the way the rack is set up...I don't think it will work well at all.  I'm wondering if I am obligated to buy the bag I bid for on ebay.  If I have the high bid, but haven't met the reserve, the seller doesn't have to accept any offer, but can accept it if he wants to.  I can't find anything that says I have a choice in it at that point.  If he decides to accept my offer, I may be stuck with the Dekker Supreme.  At least then I could try it and if it doesn't work, back on ebay it goes.  I'm calling it quits for the night.  I need some shuteye.  Thanks again.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 06:29:39 AM »

Hoist, Love the garage but I gotta ask, Where's the fridge?
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 08:49:34 AM »

Hoist, hope you are still out there.  You may have an idea of an answer to this idea.

On that Roller Dekker you got, have you tried it without the side inserts?  The thought that I had was that if removing those inserts makes the bag flexible enough to make it fit, perhaps I could cut out some sections of the foam inserts to allow the bag to be stuffed down and sit flat on the bottom of the rack, while still maintaining the integrity of the rest of the bottom and the side supports.  I wouldn't think that would take much away at all in terms of storage space and I could actually custom fit it to my rack.  The 4 corners would still be intact.  I don't know how easy it would be to cut that stuff, but I'm sure I could figure it out.  At the same time, I don't want to spend that much on a bag and ruin it, if I can't actually make it work that way.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »

Hoist, hope you are still out there.  You may have an idea of an answer to this idea.

On that Roller Dekker you got, have you tried it without the side inserts?  The thought that I had was that if removing those inserts makes the bag flexible enough to make it fit, perhaps I could cut out some sections of the foam inserts to allow the bag to be stuffed down and sit flat on the bottom of the rack, while still maintaining the integrity of the rest of the bottom and the side supports.  I wouldn't think that would take much away at all in terms of storage space and I could actually custom fit it to my rack.  The 4 corners would still be intact.  I don't know how easy it would be to cut that stuff, but I'm sure I could figure it out.  At the same time, I don't want to spend that much on a bag and ruin it, if I can't actually make it work that way.

That might work on the Supreme, but the RD is more like a rolling carry on suitcase. I don't think you can remove inserts from it. You said you were going to IMS. TBag will be there. So will HD. Ask TBag to bring an RC and a DS to the HD booth and try them on an SEUC4 there. Then try that with others you might be interested in! ;)

Hoist! 8)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »

That might work on the Supreme, but the RD is more like a rolling carry on suitcase. I don't think you can remove inserts from it. You said you were going to IMS. TBag will be there. So will HD. Ask TBag to bring an RC and a DS to the HD booth and try them on an SEUC4 there. Then try that with others you might be interested in! ;)

Hoist! 8)

You da man!  Great idea.  I may come home from the show with a bag, unless I think Jenni can do better.

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »

We use a Kuryakyn Grand Traveler bag on our '09 SEUC , same rack as yours.  This bag fits perfectly - doesn't hang over the sides of the tour pak, has expandable top, wheels & handle like regular luggage bag and several detachable outside bags for easy access.  My wife and I ride 2-up all the time and we need the space!  This bag has been a good purchase for us and was a good price as well.  Several dealers will discount this 20% - got ours through M&M in OH.  Good luck with your choice!   If you'd like a pic on the rack let me know...

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/13/scID/27/IMID/682
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 08:35:36 PM »

We use a Kuryakyn Grand Traveler bag on our '09 SEUC , same rack as yours.  This bag fits perfectly - doesn't hang over the sides of the tour pak, has expandable top, wheels & handle like regular luggage bag and several detachable outside bags for easy access.  My wife and I ride 2-up all the time and we need the space!  This bag has been a good purchase for us and was a good price as well.  Several dealers will discount this 20% - got ours through M&M in OH.  Good luck with your choice!   If you'd like a pic on the rack let me know...

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/13/scID/27/IMID/682

How does it sit on that rack?  The specs show it to be 17" front to back (I assume part of that are the outside bags on the front and rear).  How does the main compartment fit on the rack?  Does it have to fit down into the lower part of the rack, which is only 9" from front to back?

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »

1abastarsmda   -  I will be home tomorrow and will take some pics for you.

cheers
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »

1abastarsmda   -  I will be home tomorrow and will take some pics for you.

cheers

I was hoping you would decide to do that.  I'm hoping that I can get a chance to try some of the different bags on an Air Wing rack this Saturday at the Bike Show in Cleveland.  I saw that someone was selling a bag (either on here or another forum) that they used on their older SEUC and it would not work on their 09.  I've had thoughts about changing racks, which would not make me happy since I have already put the LED light in this rack.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 10:57:54 PM »

This is the bag that I just got for Terrie to use on her Street Glide.  She was resistant to a tour pack, so we put a quick release luggage rack and now she can haul all her own stuff and some of mine, too. ;D   This is a very nice piece of luggge and going to make it very easy once we get to the hotel.  I'm looking forward to that part. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »

I just watched the video for the bag on Kuryakyn's website and one thing mentioned in the video was that the bag does not have to fit down in to the bottom of the rack like a lot of people would think.  I'm real curious to see how you mount it on there and how it actually sits on the rack.  Their video is really small, so it was difficult to see how it mounts.  I'm guessing that it sits down in on the end closest to the seat and then sits up on top and extends over the rear of the rack where the LED light is, but I can't tell for sure.  If that is the case, the T-bag models should likely mount the same way, which would give me about 3 different good choices:  Kury Grand Traveler, T-bag Dekker and T-bag Roller Dekker.  Those are the ones I have wanted from day one.  I did notice on T-bags site that they say those 2 bags mentioned fit the Premium luggage rack.  They have other bags that specifically mention the Air Wing rack, so it's not that they aren't aware of the rack or the differences in size.  Again, that part worries me about mounting differently than down in the flat part of the rack.  I guess I'll wait to see your photos before I jump to any more conclusions.

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 07:06:02 PM »

I was hoping you would decide to do that.  I'm hoping that I can get a chance to try some of the different bags on an Air Wing rack this Saturday at the Bike Show in Cleveland.  I saw that someone was selling a bag (either on here or another forum) that they used on their older SEUC and it would not work on their 09.  I've had thoughts about changing racks, which would not make me happy since I have already put the LED light in this rack.

Front view
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 07:10:16 PM »

MontyB, you've been busted by the hinge police.  Time to upgrade those tourpack hinges. :nixweiss:

Sorry to bust your chops while you're trying to help me, but I couldn't resist.  Anyway, any more photos that might show how it sits on the back of that rack?

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »

Rear view. Should have taken this from a little lower angle - the bag does not block the airwing LED light.
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 07:12:14 PM »

Side view - the side bags are detachable. View shows securing strap placement. 
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »

It looks like there is a section of the bag that actually sits down into the lower section of the rack then, and the bag will partially sit up on top of the part of the rack where the LED fits.  Is that correct?

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »

1abastarsmda  - Dude! Have a little patience!   I was trying to post the other pics for you!

I have the hinges - just been too fri@@ing cold to put 'em on!   We're freezing to death here - hope its warmer where you are ! LOL

Good luck with your decision on the bags....

Cheers!
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »

It looks like there is a section of the bag that actually sits down into the lower section of the rack then, and the bag will partially sit up on top of the part of the rack where the LED fits.  Is that correct?

I think what you are referring to is the black rectangle in the middle of the side view -  that is the pull up handle when you want to use it as regular wheeled luggage,
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »

Laughing My A-- Off.  You should see the weather here in Pittsburgh right now.  Cars are stuck on flat roads.  I figured you were posting some more.  That bag looks real nice on there.  It looks like a good fit.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 07:19:48 PM »

I think what you are referring to is the black rectangle in the middle of the side view -  that is the pull up handle when you want to use it as regular wheeled luggage,

Does that part sit down against the lower section of the rack?  I would think that if it does, it would give extra stability to the bag mounting on there.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »

I really appreciate the photos.  That looks great on there.  It reminded me that I have a piece of luggage here with wheels and pullout handle that looks just like that, but I just went and looked at it and of course, there are no "D" rings on it.  After seeing it on the bike, I'm having doubts that the ones from T-bag will fit.  I think they will be too big for that rack, so I'll probably go with the same one you have there.  Thanks.

It's about 20 degrees and still snowing here, so believe me, I feel your pain.

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »

Does that part sit down against the lower section of the rack?  I would think that if it does, it would give extra stability to the bag mounting on there.

Yes it kind of sits in the middle of the rack and on each outside rail.  Its stable though - never had an issue.

Lets hope for warmer weather sooN!

Cheers!
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 07:53:05 PM »

Yes it kind of sits in the middle of the rack and on each outside rail.  Its stable though - never had an issue.

Lets hope for warmer weather sooN!

Cheers!

I'm thinking that worst case scenario is that it doesn't sit the entire way down onto the bottom of the rack, I can always put something under there to cushion it and take up the extra space...like one t-shirt in a flat bag or something.  I would think that would give it total stability, but it sounds like you aren't having any problems with it the way it is.  It sounds good to me.  I'll get a look at one in person this weekend if they have them at the bike show or I have a local place that will either have them or get me one to try.  They will give me 20% off on Kuryakyn, so I doubt I'll do much better than that.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »

Well, I finally, after spending in inordinate amount of time, decided on a piece of luggage to go on the rack.  I based my decision on the fact that out of the possible choices I had narrowed it down to, I was only able to find one to actually try on my bike to check out how it fit.  The T-Bag Dekker Supreme fits and secures well, and the removal side and bottom supports allow it to conform to the shape of the rack by just removing the bottom support only.  I'm glad one of the guys in my HOG chapter happened to own one of these, so I was able to ride out to his house and try it.  Other than that, I could not find any place that stocks any of the bigger bags to check out, and the Int'l Bike Show in Cleveland was an unmanned display of bags tied to the display.  I couldn't try them there, and Kuryakyn did not have a presence at the show.  Thanks for all the help everyone.  I've got my bag on order and it should be here later this week.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 05:17:50 AM »

So, where you going?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »

So, where you going?

Isn't the Boy Scout credo, Be Prepared?  I don't know...maybe Franklin, TN.  The only trips I have planned for now are the York CVO Factory Tour, hoping to make the Eureka Springs CVO event, a ride down to the Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburgh, etc.  One of my HOG chapters has a 4 day ride scheduled to somewhere in Indiana.    The other HOG chapter tries to schedule several 2, 3 , and 4 day rides for the year, and I'll be at the ride committee meeting this Sunday to put together that calendar and figure out where we are going.  Probably go to Ocean City, MD for DelMar Bike Week.  Maybe a few days at Ohio Bike Week.  After Sunday, I'm planning on putting together my own calendar to figure out when I don't have scheduled so I can determine where else I can go and when.

At this point, I just want to get everything completed on my bike, including dyno time, but I just found out yesterday that one of the parts I ordered is on backorder for 4 more weeks.  I've got about 900 miles on now, so as soon as that part arrives, I'm dropping off the bike at the dealer to get it finished for this year.  I should have it all together in pleny of time for the warmer weather to hit here.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »

Here's the T-Bag Dekker Supreme luggage rack bag I got.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 03:59:25 PM »

Another angle

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »

From the rear

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 04:00:31 PM »

right side

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 04:01:07 PM »

left side

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »

front of bag

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »

I have the exact same problem.. :confused5:

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »

Here's the T-Bag Dekker Supreme luggage rack bag I got.
That's a great bag have the same one myself. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 04:07:06 PM »

Inside of bag.  The 4 padded sides and padded bottom on the inside are all velcro'd in and can be removed.  When I tried my friend's bag, it was with the bottom pad removed and then the bottom will conform to the shape of the luggage rack and fit down in where you see space under it from the sides currently.  The 2 small side bags zip off.  In the front side there are 3 pockets and the middle one houses the rain cover.  I think this will be a pretty good size bag and it fits securely even without removing the sides and bottom.  Removing the sides make the bag 2" X 2" bigger for more space.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 04:09:28 PM »

I have the exact same problem.. :confused5:

Marty

What problem are you talking about?

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 06:11:19 PM »

I just ordered the Dakota from Eastern Performance Cycles in MD 410-451-5181 for $183 includes shipping, retails for $240. I'll let you know how it fits when I get it should be here next week. They had the Decker for$189,  included s&h.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 12:19:48 AM »

I just ordered the Dakota from Eastern Performance Cycles in MD 410-451-5181 for $183 includes shipping, retails for $240. I'll let you know how it fits when I get it should be here next week. They had the Decker for$189,  included s&h.

I looked at that one also.  It's a nice bag.  It should fit well, as the base of it, from front to rear is smaller than the one I got.  I got the Dekker Supreme for $193 including the tax, and for the extra $4.00,  I have a place that I deal with regularly and I know will take care of me with any problems and will take the bag back if for some reason it didn't fit.  I saw that Eastern had it for that price on Ebay, but for my peace of mind, I went with the local shop.  I think you will like the Dakota bag.  It may have been a better choice than the one I got, but I am pleased with what I got.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2009, 09:15:29 AM »

What problem are you talking about?

my t-bag doesn't fix as you have explained in your posts

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 07:24:44 PM »

The T-Bag Dekker Supreme that I bought fits perfectly now.  I removed the bottom and rear inside pads and now the bag conforms perfectly to the rack and sits flush on the base of the rack.  With 3 sides and the lid still padded, the bag completely maintains its' shape, so there is no problem there.  The more of those pads you remove, the more storage space you have also.

Another thing that I did was shorten the straps a little.  The straps that come on it are way too long for mounting on a luggage rack.  I cut off just enough that there was enough left to secure it and have enough remaining strap to fold about a 4 to 5" section once, and then a second time, so that you have the end being three strap layers thick, which fits fairly tight into the "belt loop" that keeps the extra strap from flapping.  Then, take that 4 to 5" section that is 3 layers of strap and tie it in the middle with a plastic tie.  That will keep it together so you don't have to redo this everytime you put the bag back on, and the plastic tie adds just enough thickness that you have to force the tie into the "belt loop" and that makes it real tight, and you won't have to worry about the straps coming out and flapping around.

Photos below to explain what I'm talking about.  First, this photo shows how the bag fits flush now.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »

This shows the tripling of the strap and tied with a plastic tie

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »

this one shows the strap with tied fits tight into the "belt loop"

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 08:03:26 PM »

someone had nothing to do today. 8)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »

someone had nothing to do today. 8)

Actually, I did that a few days ago, and just decided to take the camera down to the garage and share.  The shop called today...my GPS module is there and I'm having that done tomorrow morning.  Today, I did a complete clean n' shine of my SUV, since I now have a garage to put it in.  Now it looks too good to get rid of.  I only have 30,000 miles on it.  I may just keep it for a little while longer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 21 queries.