Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Luggage to fit the 09 SE Ultra luggage rack  (Read 7885 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Luggage to fit the 09 SE Ultra luggage rack
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »

Hoist, hope you are still out there.  You may have an idea of an answer to this idea.

On that Roller Dekker you got, have you tried it without the side inserts?  The thought that I had was that if removing those inserts makes the bag flexible enough to make it fit, perhaps I could cut out some sections of the foam inserts to allow the bag to be stuffed down and sit flat on the bottom of the rack, while still maintaining the integrity of the rest of the bottom and the side supports.  I wouldn't think that would take much away at all in terms of storage space and I could actually custom fit it to my rack.  The 4 corners would still be intact.  I don't know how easy it would be to cut that stuff, but I'm sure I could figure it out.  At the same time, I don't want to spend that much on a bag and ruin it, if I can't actually make it work that way.

That might work on the Supreme, but the RD is more like a rolling carry on suitcase. I don't think you can remove inserts from it. You said you were going to IMS. TBag will be there. So will HD. Ask TBag to bring an RC and a DS to the HD booth and try them on an SEUC4 there. Then try that with others you might be interested in! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »

That might work on the Supreme, but the RD is more like a rolling carry on suitcase. I don't think you can remove inserts from it. You said you were going to IMS. TBag will be there. So will HD. Ask TBag to bring an RC and a DS to the HD booth and try them on an SEUC4 there. Then try that with others you might be interested in! ;)

Hoist! 8)

You da man!  Great idea.  I may come home from the show with a bag, unless I think Jenni can do better.

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »

We use a Kuryakyn Grand Traveler bag on our '09 SEUC , same rack as yours.  This bag fits perfectly - doesn't hang over the sides of the tour pak, has expandable top, wheels & handle like regular luggage bag and several detachable outside bags for easy access.  My wife and I ride 2-up all the time and we need the space!  This bag has been a good purchase for us and was a good price as well.  Several dealers will discount this 20% - got ours through M&M in OH.  Good luck with your choice!   If you'd like a pic on the rack let me know...

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/13/scID/27/IMID/682
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 08:35:36 PM »

We use a Kuryakyn Grand Traveler bag on our '09 SEUC , same rack as yours.  This bag fits perfectly - doesn't hang over the sides of the tour pak, has expandable top, wheels & handle like regular luggage bag and several detachable outside bags for easy access.  My wife and I ride 2-up all the time and we need the space!  This bag has been a good purchase for us and was a good price as well.  Several dealers will discount this 20% - got ours through M&M in OH.  Good luck with your choice!   If you'd like a pic on the rack let me know...

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/13/scID/27/IMID/682

How does it sit on that rack?  The specs show it to be 17" front to back (I assume part of that are the outside bags on the front and rear).  How does the main compartment fit on the rack?  Does it have to fit down into the lower part of the rack, which is only 9" from front to back?

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »

1abastarsmda   -  I will be home tomorrow and will take some pics for you.

cheers
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »

1abastarsmda   -  I will be home tomorrow and will take some pics for you.

cheers

I was hoping you would decide to do that.  I'm hoping that I can get a chance to try some of the different bags on an Air Wing rack this Saturday at the Bike Show in Cleveland.  I saw that someone was selling a bag (either on here or another forum) that they used on their older SEUC and it would not work on their 09.  I've had thoughts about changing racks, which would not make me happy since I have already put the LED light in this rack.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 10:57:54 PM »

This is the bag that I just got for Terrie to use on her Street Glide.  She was resistant to a tour pack, so we put a quick release luggage rack and now she can haul all her own stuff and some of mine, too. ;D   This is a very nice piece of luggge and going to make it very easy once we get to the hotel.  I'm looking forward to that part. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »

I just watched the video for the bag on Kuryakyn's website and one thing mentioned in the video was that the bag does not have to fit down in to the bottom of the rack like a lot of people would think.  I'm real curious to see how you mount it on there and how it actually sits on the rack.  Their video is really small, so it was difficult to see how it mounts.  I'm guessing that it sits down in on the end closest to the seat and then sits up on top and extends over the rear of the rack where the LED light is, but I can't tell for sure.  If that is the case, the T-bag models should likely mount the same way, which would give me about 3 different good choices:  Kury Grand Traveler, T-bag Dekker and T-bag Roller Dekker.  Those are the ones I have wanted from day one.  I did notice on T-bags site that they say those 2 bags mentioned fit the Premium luggage rack.  They have other bags that specifically mention the Air Wing rack, so it's not that they aren't aware of the rack or the differences in size.  Again, that part worries me about mounting differently than down in the flat part of the rack.  I guess I'll wait to see your photos before I jump to any more conclusions.

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 07:06:02 PM »

I was hoping you would decide to do that.  I'm hoping that I can get a chance to try some of the different bags on an Air Wing rack this Saturday at the Bike Show in Cleveland.  I saw that someone was selling a bag (either on here or another forum) that they used on their older SEUC and it would not work on their 09.  I've had thoughts about changing racks, which would not make me happy since I have already put the LED light in this rack.

Front view
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 07:10:16 PM »

MontyB, you've been busted by the hinge police.  Time to upgrade those tourpack hinges. :nixweiss:

Sorry to bust your chops while you're trying to help me, but I couldn't resist.  Anyway, any more photos that might show how it sits on the back of that rack?

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »

Rear view. Should have taken this from a little lower angle - the bag does not block the airwing LED light.
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 07:12:14 PM »

Side view - the side bags are detachable. View shows securing strap placement. 
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »

It looks like there is a section of the bag that actually sits down into the lower section of the rack then, and the bag will partially sit up on top of the part of the rack where the LED fits.  Is that correct?

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »

1abastarsmda  - Dude! Have a little patience!   I was trying to post the other pics for you!

I have the hinges - just been too fri@@ing cold to put 'em on!   We're freezing to death here - hope its warmer where you are ! LOL

Good luck with your decision on the bags....

Cheers!
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »

It looks like there is a section of the bag that actually sits down into the lower section of the rack then, and the bag will partially sit up on top of the part of the rack where the LED fits.  Is that correct?

I think what you are referring to is the black rectangle in the middle of the side view -  that is the pull up handle when you want to use it as regular wheeled luggage,
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.