Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Cam chain tensioners  (Read 52074 times)

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Cam chain tensioners
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »

I know allot of folks upgraded out of necessity and the need for more speed & power. But my scoot is approaching 22,000 miles and ever since I really got involved with the CVO GTG's the few that I have been involved with, I'm starting to pile up a few miles. A conservative estimate for 09 is about 8000 miles. As you all know I'm probably on borrowed time with my cam chain tensioners. So instead of taking a chance and waiting for replacement at 30,000 miles and having a problem on the road. I'm going to have mine replaced within the next few weeks. I was advised by a few board members and this made sense to me, to go with stock replacements. Which I'm inclined to do. My question is are there upgraded stock tensioners or is stock the same as what was installed back in 03? :nixweiss: ...............................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Cam chain tensioners
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »

They are the same unless you do a conversion to the 07+ hydro style. The second set of tensioners should last better than the first as the chain has been "polished" by the first set.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »

GOOD TIMING! Also gives you the chance to ck the oil pump for scoring. if you see any bright orange specks inside your oil filter your due asap
 :bananarock:

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

I would suggest also replacing the cam plate and oil pump.  I've just had this all done on my '06 SE Ultra.  I went with the Feuling Cam Plate and Oil Pump.  You will also have to replace the push rod and put adjustable ones in.

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »

Don't take this the wrong way guys, I really appreciate the knowledge and help available on this board, but are these bikes really such pieces of crap? All I read about half the time is the buckets of money you have to throw at them to keep them on the road. I should just as well buy a Honda to hear you guys talking about all the work you have to do to bikes that are, at least to poor trash like me, still pretty new.
Semper Fidelis

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:59:48 PM »

Don't take this the wrong way guys, I really appreciate the knowledge and help available on this board, but are these bikes really such pieces of crap? All I read about half the time is the buckets of money you have to throw at them to keep them on the road. I should just as well buy a Honda to hear you guys talking about all the work you have to do to bikes that are, at least to poor trash like me, still pretty new.
Clegg, I understand how you feel. But I sure don't really think you'd trade that gorgeous RG of yours for a Honda.

The chain tensioners do not last forever and should be checked regularly.  Supposedly (I don't have a new enough model bike to prove it to myself) in the manuals it is stated that you should check your chain tensioners and they tend to fail in the 30,000 mile range.  So our friend Fuzznuts is wisely planning to take care of business before the business takes care of him. Has nothing to do with anything other than a normal part that will wear and will need to be replaced at some point.  Same as oil and gas. 

But does your bike have the same chain tensioners?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »

Clegg, I understand how you feel. But I sure don't really think you'd trade that gorgeous RG of yours for a Honda.

The chain tensioners do not last forever and should be checked regularly.  Supposedly (I don't have a new enough model bike to prove it to myself) in the manuals it is stated that you should check your chain tensioners and they tend to fail in the 30,000 mile range.  So our friend Fuzznuts is wisely planning to take care of business before the business takes care of him. Has nothing to do with anything other than a normal part that will wear and will need to be replaced at some point.  Same as oil and gas. 

But does your bike have the same chain tensioners?
Does anyone know if any of the manuals actually state this or something to this effect?  All I've ever heard is 'opinions' on this topic.....nothing specific or written in the manuals.   :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:17:06 PM »

I understand the need to check the shoes, but every time the shoes come up it turns into a complete teardown and rebuild...Some of us can't afford to replace every stock item in the engine. I mean heck, at this rate I am about afraid to ride the thing because I can't afford to tear it down and replace everything but the cases.
Semper Fidelis

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »

After my bike broke down on the West coast of Canada (we live in South Central East Coast of US) my husband was like yourself, a tad nervous to ride his bike until he replaced the chain tensioners all together.  But once he had those replaced there is no worries about that... I don't think most of us ever think that there is going to be a problem on a ride/trip.  It may happen but we do not worry about it.  Usually, there is no problems at all.  If a problem should arise, you will fix it.  And it is unlikely to be a bank breaker. 

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »

You should have been riding harley's in the 70s-80s ,then you would be a 'master mech' because you had to be .LOL , well ,at least you had to have a 'tool bag' and in it ,bailing wire,duct tape, extra plugs,point,condensor, etc.  In those days, if you got 30,000 miles out of a top end, you bragged about it ! Never saw girls or 'pencil neck geeks' ridin then , couldn't  kick them over, LOL  ,life was good then + there was a new episode of Gunsmoke on ,every week. Dewey

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:04:26 PM »

He has a 2000 !

clegg

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »

I only wish I had an 09! If I could pony up for an 09 then a couple thousand more would probably not be a problem.. But then again, I do like the paint on my 2000 better. As well as the lowers and the tourpak. ;D
Like I said, I don't mean to sound like it is all phooey. I have every intention of checking and if necessary replacing my shoes before spring. The rest of the old girl will just have to make do untill I get the rest of the bike paid for!
Semper Fidelis

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »

Its not a complete tear down for the cam shoes. Ithink hd dude could do it in an hour easy. As far as longevity when was the last time you saw a 1935 honda  :bananarock:

clegg

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »

:D Nice try, but I don't think Honda was even making piston rings yet in 35. And that 35 has likely been apart many times to make it last this long. Especially if it was hauling my butt back and forth 70-80 miles a day for work plus pleasure trips. All at 65-80 MPH..
Semper Fidelis

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

I was concerned about the cam chain tensioners from all the horror stories I'd read, and saw of the tensioners deteriorating. I decided when I did do something about them I would upgrade to gear driven cams and while doing that I would replace a few other related moving parts...

Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters

Other then those mechanical mods to the powertrain that's all I've done/plan on doing. The cams were specifically designed for the CVO 103ci motors to trick the motor into thinking it has more compression. The lifters/push rods were related items in the function of the cams (so why not replace/upgrade them at that time). Replacing the oil pump was added security since I wasn't doing the work and didn't want to risk there being bits/pieces of the tensioners that had scored the pump. Along w/the oil pump the bypass shim just gave me better oil pressure. Presently I don't plan on doing anymore mods to the motor (that statement will surely come back to bite me in the @$$ :D).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.