Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2009 cvo 110 overheating problems  (Read 26162 times)

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
Re: 2009 cvo 110 overheating problems
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »

Good stuff Mike, that looks very positive :2vrolijk_21:

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »

GEothermal-

It's ashame you had to go to such lengths to get the dealer to acknowledge you were having a serious issue. Hopefully, they will do the right thing and correct the problem.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Geothermal

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »

Good news, took bike to the harley dealer today. Their head tech took it for a ride. Admits that the diesel sounding noise is defitanly not normal, also admits that the engine is running way to hot, and the gasket at the base of the rear cylender is starting to seap oil. He called me back again tonight and said they have physically checked out everything they could phyiscally.  There going to put it on the dyno tommorow to figure out what the problem is. Could be a bad ecm had that happen to a friends Buell that was running really hot. When they changed it out his heat problems went away. Anyways once they figure it out I will get a tunner, pipes and have it dynoed again. 

Hoist, I am in the geothermal buisness, heres a link to my companies.
www.rockymountaingeothermal.com
www.geoenergyservices.com

Hope to know something by tommorow. Its going to to be 65 tommorow 68 on Thursday INCEDABLE FOR DENVER...will have to ride the superglide for now.
I let everyone know what happens with the dyno and what they find.           

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »

Good news, took bike to the harley dealer today. Their head tech took it for a ride. Admits that the diesel sounding noise is defitanly not normal, also admits that the engine is running way to hot, and the gasket at the base of the rear cylender is starting to seap oil. He called me back again tonight and said they have physically checked out everything they could phyiscally.  There going to put it on the dyno tommorow to figure out what the problem is. Could be a bad ecm had that happen to a friends Buell that was running really hot. When they changed it out his heat problems went away. Anyways once they figure it out I will get a tunner, pipes and have it dynoed again. 

Hope to know something by tommorow. Its going to to be 65 tommorow 68 on Thursday INCEDABLE FOR DENVER...will have to ride the superglide for now.

The Dyno ain't gonna help that.  What's the plan for the leak?  You should call HD Customer Service now and open a ticket.  Let them you know the history and that this isn't a one off problem and that the fix was supposed to be in the 2009, so what's the plan here?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »

Really sorry to hear of your issues...  Yours is the first 2009 that I have heard of with this type issue.  I'll be curious to learn what has happened and how it is corrected.  I'm not to sure what they will learn on the dyno - unless it does turn out to be related to the ecm - (which I would doubt - but - hey - got to start somewhere!)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

jcsjohn

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »

Geothermal

We both have the same bike - an 09 CVO Fat Bob.  I ride in Florida -- so both in hot climate. 

From my experience your problems seem extreme.  Good getting the dealer to act. 

I took the following actions:

--  changed the pipe to a VH Competition model -- verrrry open -- gets the heat out faster

--  added a Jagg 6 row cooler -- now upgrading to a ten row

--  installed Xied between O2 sensor and ecu - (http://www.nightrider.com/parts) AF ratios to 13.8 from EPA's 14.6

I DID NOT disconnect the single lunger overheat feature -- to me that's begging for a meltdown !!

This has resulted in a cooler bike -- to me the minimum required to have a chance at no failures.

The dealers seem not to understand the problem -- and the 110 may be the end of the line for HD's Air/Oil cooled engines.  It happened to Porsche and I am afraid it is happening to Harley -- thank the EPA !!!

Hope this helps -- John

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »

I took the following actions:
--  added a Jagg 6 row cooler -- now upgrading to a ten row
Hope this helps -- John
Most interesting John, may just look into one of these, thanks for your tips

pokerpig

• CVO1: 2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »

The first thing I did was put on the SERT. That was enough to really bring the heat down.

It also seems to me that it takes a while for these engines to really break in. Mine kept running better and cooler until 7 or 8 thousand miles.

Beautiful day for riding here in Colorado today!

Rickter

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »

Stock FXDFSE, 2009, 110ci, about 850miles on it so far.  Maryland weather conditions.  Today.... No leaks that I can see. Bike runs and sounds like a clock. Stock pipes, Stock calibration, stock everything until I can get past the 1K service.  Will Idle down if it sits for a while..

Almost runs too good to change the pipes, nah, gotta change the pipes :)

Just to add a piece of the puzzle.
Rickter

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »

The only reason I can see why they might want to put it on the dyno - would be to get it hot under a load, in a controlled environment to see what its doing- how quickly it overheats, what sort of top end noise it creates ect.

Ive got 400 miles on my 09 SERG, and while there isn't much top end noise, it definitely runs hot-  one of the cylinders drops out at idle when Im sitting at a traffic light. Its not been over 70 degrees outside temp, and I have yet to really run the bike hard since Im still in break in mode. It definitely needs a Fi controller- and I'll be going with the PC5.

Bottom line- if you aren't satisfied with the results your dealer is giving you,  keep pushing them to solve it and make it right. They make a lot of profit on these CVO bikes, and the dealer and MoCo needs go the extra mile to keep the customer happy.
2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

2006 Custom Bobber Hardtail
80" Super Stock Evo
SS heads, SS 561 cam, Super G carb, TD aircleaner
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 09:46:44 AM »

If you are not happy with the dealers decisions call HD customer service and have a area rep. sent to check out the bike.  Doc

Geothermal

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »

I posted before on the overheating problems and top end noise in my 2009 CVO Fat Bob.

While the dyno and tune helped, it still didn't sole all of my concerns. Finally talked with a mechanic from the dealer that really knew his motors, he had spent years working in a race shop building bike engines.

So i took his advice and spent $ 1,700.00 to change the cam, pipes and a few other items. This is the best 1,700.00 i have ever spent on a bike. Picked the bike up yesterday and OMFG. You will have to hold on while riding this bike, All i can say is the upgrade gave this bike more power and torq that you could imagine. It also solved the noise in the engine and the overheating problems, took the girlfriend for a ride and she was screaming whiplash withing the first few gears. Between the new cam and pipes this bike is one of the best sounding Harley's i have ever heard. The mechanic is now recomending this upgrade to all his 110 clients, if you would like to talk with him heres his name and number Wayne - Mile high Harley service department 303-343-3300

Here is a list of parts required for this upgrade.
Part Number             Description
1800-0239  Exhaust. B radius 06 Dyna
25743-06  SE 257 Cam Kit
0924-0107   x2 - Bearing Cam 07-UP TC
DS-172104   Cometic HD GSKT .030 95"TC
16719-99B   x2  - Gasket, Rocker housing
26995-86B   x2  - Seal Intake Manifold
SHOP SYN    Synthetic 3 LUB 20/50
63798-99A   Oil Filter, Chrome SuperPremium
17386-99A   x2 - Gasket, Rocker Cover
25736-06    Spacer .130
10014         Hose Clamp

Note: The head gaskets are alot thinner than stock, bringing the head closer to the piston, the cam allows for less lag time between valve opening and closing, also raises the vales more.
While this bike was fast before, being a 110 on a Dyna frame, you would not believe it now.
For those of you looking for extreme power and torq from your 110 at a reasonable cost, here it is. Not to mention when you get  on this bike it litterly sounds like a race Harley at the strip.

Mike       

Report to moderator    67.165.234.2 

ice6900
1K CVO Member

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 01:44:02 PM »

what oil temp is the motor running after the mods?

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »

you need to get rear head temps down in the 210 to 220 range, that is why I am dumping the 8 core restictive oil cooler and going with two ten core Jagg verticle coolers in tandum,
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »

i know that bike comes with a heavy breather, did you change pipes? have you done a tuner to it?
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.