Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inner Primary Bearing Failure  (Read 4977 times)

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
Inner Primary Bearing Failure
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »

2007 UCSE, with 18500 miles on it. 

Inner primary bearing failed.  It did not come apart, fortunately, but it was making some serious noise when you pulled the clutch in.  Tech said they had not seen any since the 06 Dyna.  The other tech asked what kind of oil I was running and I told him Amsoil.  He suggested that maybe the Amsoil is working too good.  Meaning it is so slick, that maybe it is not forming a film.

Anyone have this problem?

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Inner Primary Bearing Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:01:14 PM »

JOHNNYMAP, i see it quite ofton and your oil has nothing to do with it. the factory improved the bearing that worked
fine for years and then said to change the bearing at the 15,000 mile service with no extra pay. all of us greety basterds said no...so the factory said ok and figured it would go away and as you can see it didn't. all six speed tranys have or will have this problem.     axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »

John, I had this problem around 7k (I think). Primary oil everywhere! They replaced the bearing and seal . I've had no problems since.
AJ

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:01:25 PM »

Is that what they just replaced on my bike - they called it 'mainshaft bearing & race' p/n 9231?  Had the primary off due to weepage where stator plug comes thru the case and found this.  Didn't know I was having a problem.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:16:13 PM »

Yes ,mine went 5000 miles after new crank was put inthere was 27,000 miles on bike.no problems since. RIDE SAFE JDO

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:56:05 PM »

like i said, i see them all the time. and it's a damn shame.  axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »

Okay, I figured as much.  Amongst all the other problems, I had not seen much conversation about it or I missed all together.

Thanks

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 04:42:13 PM »

I haven’t yet heard of a chronic issue with the mainshaft support bearing on the late model six speed machines; although there are issues with the ’06 Dyna. It is my understanding that the ’06 Dyna six speed is unique in that the primary housing is not doweled to the transmission case. Later Dyna’s and all other OE Big Twins use a different approach to mounting the primary housing to the transmission case which includes dowels to index the primary housing to the transmission.

If you have a ’06 Dyna that has experienced multiple mainshaft support failures, it is not unheard of for Milwaukee to upgrade the machine to the doweled components (trans and primary housings). It is my sense that if a machine is prone to failure, you will not get a lot of mileage between failures; I have seen some with less than 10k.

I have also heard that the sequence and torque of the fasteners securing the inner housing to the transmission case is critical to the service life of the support bearing. I believe the issue here is the distortion of the inner housing resulting in a concentrated, uneven loading of the bearing.

djkak

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »

I haven’t yet heard of a chronic issue with the mainshaft support bearing on the late model six speed machines; although there are issues with the ’06 Dyna. It is my understanding that the ’06 Dyna six speed is unique in that the primary housing is not doweled to the transmission case. Later Dyna’s and all other OE Big Twins use a different approach to mounting the primary housing to the transmission case which includes dowels to index the primary housing to the transmission.

If you have a ’06 Dyna that has experienced multiple mainshaft support failures, it is not unheard of for Milwaukee to upgrade the machine to the doweled components (trans and primary housings). It is my sense that if a machine is prone to failure, you will not get a lot of mileage between failures; I have seen some with less than 10k.

I have also heard that the sequence and torque of the fasteners securing the inner housing to the transmission case is critical to the service life of the support bearing. I believe the issue here is the distortion of the inner housing resulting in a concentrated, uneven loading of the bearing.

djkak

djkak,
You have no idea how good it is to see you on here again.  We've missed you something fierce!   :2vrolijk_21:  Always great to read your posts.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 10:42:40 PM »

djkak,
You have no idea how good it is to see you on here again.  We've missed you something fierce!   :2vrolijk_21:  Always great to read your posts.

I appreciate the sentiment, Henry, thanks. I’ve been lucky, no one has called me on any of my BS!

djkak

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:34:21 AM »

Three 06 Dyna in our group had the same thing happen, One went out around 5,000 the other one came out while we where in Myrtle Beach this OCT. with about 8,000 miles on the bike, And the third one came out on our way home from MB and he has around 25,000 miles on that bike. But he changes oil in all three holes every 3,000 miles. He uses SYN3 in Tranny and Primary and Oil in crankcase, Think maybe changing oil that often helped the bearing to last longer? 

I was told the samething about the Amsoil, That it might be to slick, Anyway just changed mine to Mobil 1, V-Twin
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

KEL

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 02:26:24 PM »

I had the cam bearing go on my way home from Mikwaukee last summer. Took out the entire motor by the time I heard something and got it stopped.  Luckily we were close to town and not in the middle of the desert.  Dealer says it happens some times.   20,000 miles on it then.

k
06 FLHTCUSE BLACK CANDY/ CRIMSON
04 Deuce Pearl White
00 Low Rider
Life's great

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.