Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 3 bag windshield bag problem  (Read 6236 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
3 bag windshield bag problem
« on: February 07, 2009, 03:00:00 AM »

What's the trick to getting the windshield back on after installing the 3 bag windshield bag?  I've literally been at it for over 3 hours trying to get that thing back on.  If I take the windshield bag off, the windshield pops right into place.  It's obvious that the bags are pushing on the windshield and making it tough to align to the holes, but this is freakin ridiculous.  I've had 2 of the screws in for over an hour and can't get the 3rd in now.  I know I'm going to have to start from scratch once again.  Is this a 2 person job?  I can't seem to hold it in place and screw it in place also.  Am I the only one to ever have this much problem putting one of these on?  Without the bag...it's like 2 seconds and it snaps right in place.

Regardless, Harley has been making these things how many years?  and they still can't make them to fit right?  I can see that once I get it together, the bags will rub the windshield and ruin it.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

Re: 3 bag windshield bag problem
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:00:09 AM »

Finally...I got it together.  I came up with my own trick to finally get it to work.  I opened each of the 3 bags, and pulled the side flaps out, and then pulled the bags closed as far as I could pull them.  It helped to pull the top of the bags a little further away from the windshield that way and it was still a major pain to put that windshield back on.  I still can't believe that by itself, the windshield pops right into place and using the bags that "are made to fit" make it so difficult to put back together.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:18:25 AM by 1abastarsmda »

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:04:39 AM »

:-X     :worthless:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 05:19:08 AM »

:-X     :worthless:

Here ya go.  Don't have to tell me twice.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:26:25 AM »

Now what you going to put in them.  :confused5:   Glad you got it installed before the sun came up.  :2vrolijk_21: 
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 05:27:39 AM »

Amazing.  I've been working on those bags for hours and until I looked at the photos, I didn't notice that I never put my new speaker bezels on.  I took the old ones off, and I guess I never got around to putting the new ones on.  After I searched high and low for speaker bezels to match the ones around the gauges, and hd-dude and some others located them from different vendors, I walked in to my local leather and accessories store and saw a set hanging there either the next day or two days later.  Maybe I will get around to sticking them on tomorrow (today).

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 05:31:12 AM »

At least your having fun........... aren't you. :confused5:   :-X
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 05:32:16 AM »

Now what you going to put in them.  :confused5:   Glad you got it installed before the sun came up.  :2vrolijk_21: 

Blackberry, Cigarettes, Lighter, Sunglasses, toll money.  Are they filled yet or can I put some more in there?  I don't suppose I could fit a 6 pack in there.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 05:35:23 AM »

Dont forget the Tylenol, toothbrush, ect. ect.ect.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 05:36:16 AM »

At least your having fun........... aren't you. :confused5:   :-X

Actually, I got a little upset.  I put a mark on my windshield trying to put one of the screws in.  I had the windshield too far down in and there's a mark visible now when the windshield was set in place back up where it was supposed to be.  It looks like a stone chip just near the outer edge of the windshield just above the fairing.  Now I have a defective bike.  Time to trade it in.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 05:43:28 AM »

Dont forget the Tylenol, toothbrush, ect. ect.ect.

Tylenol...not a bad idea at all.  Toothbrush, etc I wouldn't put in the windshield bag.  That's reserved for things that I would use while still on the bike, and if I'm brushing my teeth, I can't say that I've ever done that while sitting on the bike.  That sort of stuff can stay in the saddlebags or tourpack.  As soon as I figure out what bag to get for the luggage rack, I'll be just about ready for travel on this thing.

Another 250 miles on it and I can get my 1000 mile service and have it dyno'd, and then I'm picking a destination.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 05:46:13 AM »

i had one of those on my 04.  never remembered having so much trouble with it.  i have a Jm now that mounts an xm radio.. that seems ok.. ???

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:32 AM »

I've never used XM before.  I'm going to activate my built in when the weather gets better here so I can get a chance to check it out fully.  You don't have that weather problem in Boca.  I used to live there...Boca Pointe, Mission Bay, and Polo Club.  As far as I'm aware, I think my ex-wife is still there, but then I haven't seen her in over 17 years.  Boca has really built up a lot more since I left there in '91.  I'm hoping to get a chance to ride my bike down there sometime this year.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 06:42:48 AM »

Shoot Dave, you lived in Boca, did not know that. I had a place there awhile back, on Patio drive near the golf course. One of my superintendents was the building inspector there. Boca weather great, boca people suck. most rude spot in the world, next to San diego.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 06:51:09 AM »

Shoot Dave, you lived in Boca, did not know that. I had a place there awhile back, on Patio drive near the golf course. One of my superintendents was the building inspector there. Boca weather great, boca people suck. most rude spot in the world, next to San diego.

I'd put my vote in for NY, but then that's where most of the people in Boca came from, including of course, my ex.  Actually, she was a good egg, but her parents were some of the most ignorant people I've ever met.  I got a few hundred miles in yesterday and the temps actually made it up into the 30's in the afternoon.  Today is going to be a heat wave...already 37 and up into the 40's before it starts raining.  I've going to try to get some more miles in before the inclement weather hits.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.