Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Oil Bud Cooling System  (Read 18121 times)

davy

• Junior CVO Member
Oil Bud Cooling System
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »

Has anyone tried the Oil Bud Cooling System, or know how it compares to regular oil coolers

REGGAB

Re: Oil Bud Cooling System
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:27:20 PM »

Has anyone tried the Oil Bud Cooling System, or know how it compares to regular oil coolers

Is this the system you're talking about?
http://www.budsbikerparts.net/theoilbud.html

I'm running a JAGG six row oil cooler on the left frame downtube right now, and so far, it is working great...........better than the stock system.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:29:09 PM by HML »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:30:53 AM »

There's a lot to like there.  But some questions as well.  Looked at his unit for the touring model and got this picture from his touring model installation PDF.

Impressed by the large cooling surface are.  Most contact space of any cooler I've seen.  The installation is also almost completely hidden from normal view and his oil filter adaptor is thermostatically controlled. 

But...  I'm not sure I'm sanguine with the radiator being directly above the road surface.  It's easy to have visions of a puncture.  The mounting is simple and very straightforward but that mounting puts the rear part of the cooler right in front of the oil drain plug.  So every oil change is going to make a bit of a mess.  Not a big deal perhaps.  But something to deal with nonetheless.

The rear tank of the cooler would also obstruct the installation many of us have used for an oil temp sending unit in the oil pan.  He mitigates that problem by plumbing a hole in his filter adapter specifically for that sending unit.  So you could move the sending unit and re-chase the harness and be good to go.  Someone who has not yet installed an oil temp gauge would have an ideal spot to mount their sending unit.

The extra splatter that's likely going to happen at oil change I could learn to live with.  Would need a bit to get my head around whether or not the under bike exposed mounting of the radiators is really a hazard or not though.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 02:49:53 AM »

It looks like the cooling area may be about 50% greater over the HD Deluxe (CVO Stock) oil coolers. I'm curious if air flow under the bike is effective though, and also as TwoLane stated, road hazard depress hitting the underside of the cooler could be an issue and maybe not  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: We need some testers, who is gonna try this baby out  :-\

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »

It looks like the cooling area may be about 50% greater over the HD Deluxe (CVO Stock) oil coolers. I'm curious if air flow under the bike is effective though, and also as TwoLane stated, road hazard depress hitting the underside of the cooler could be an issue and maybe not  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: We need some testers, who is gonna try this baby out  :-\

I would be leary about mounting an oil cooler underneath the bike like that.   ???  Also, wouldn't the cooler get damage when you put a jack underneath?  I would think one of the arms of the jack would come right up on the cooler.  Looking at the picture I can't tell if the cooler is flush, extended past, or recessed beneath the two frame tubes.  Also, wouldn't you be transferring heat from the oil pan to the cooler if it rests right up against the cooler?  What kind of air flow do you get through the cooler sitting that tight against the oil pan? :nixweiss:

:devil:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:30:16 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »

I would be leary about mounting an oil cooler underneath the bike like that.   ???  Also, wouldn't the cooler get damage when you put a jack underneath?  I would think one of the arms of the jack would come right up on the cooler.  Looking at the picture I can't tell if the cooler is flush, extended past, or recessed beneath the two frame tubes.  Also, wouldn't you be transferring heat from the oil pan to the cooler if it rests right up against the cooler?  What kind of air flow do you get through the cooler sitting that tight against the oil pan? :nixweiss:

:devil:

Howie has already given me chit about being too diplomatic in the public description of my reaction to those tanks.  Figured someone might actually have one and didn't want to piss them off.  But, yeah, I wouldn't mount that thing on 103's bike right before I sold it.  Blocks one service hole.  Intrudes on the oil drain hole to cause a mess every damn time you change the oil.  And sticks down there in way of a service jack or any good sized stick or other debris you might inadvertently get close to.  To me the thing looks like a really good idea with a really poor execution.

Having said that, I like the guys oil filter adaptor a lot.  Thermostatically controlled unit, o-ring sealed, plumbed for a sending unit that would be easily accessible.  Not very large either.  I sent the guy an email asking if he sold the adaptor separately.  Will eventually need something for a cooler on the SERG and it seems better than the other alternatives I've seen unless the price is nuts.  If it is will just order another of the units that's on the 05 SEEG. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »

I'm thinking he just went with 3 times the surface area to make up for the lack of decent air flow through the cores.  The idea might be workable if it only included the front section and some ducting to direct air through the unit.  I don't like the rear section being in the way for servicing, and I would worry a little about those speed bumps or ruts like the ones that scarred the bottom of my engine before I learned to avoid them at all costs.

As for the jack issue, simple frame protectors similar to those used on Dyna's would create the clearance needed, so that alone shouldn't be a deal breaker.  Personally, going through all that just so you don't have to see the cooler isn't worth the hassle.  Unlike Willy G., I like functional stuff that isn't necessarily stylish.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:22:22 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 08:32:11 PM »

Howie has already given me chit about being too diplomatic in the public description of my reaction to those tanks.  Figured someone might actually have one and didn't want to piss them off.  But, yeah, I wouldn't mount that thing on 103's bike right before I sold it.  Blocks one service hole.  Intrudes on the oil drain hole to cause a mess every damn time you change the oil.  And sticks down there in way of a service jack or any good sized stick or other debris you might inadvertently get close to.  To me the thing looks like a really good idea with a really poor execution.

Having said that, I like the guys oil filter adaptor a lot.  Thermostatically controlled unit, o-ring sealed, plumbed for a sending unit that would be easily accessible.  Not very large either.  I sent the guy an email asking if he sold the adaptor separately.  Will eventually need something for a cooler on the SERG and it seems better than the other alternatives I've seen unless the price is nuts.  If it is will just order another of the units that's on the 05 SEEG. 

Howie who??? :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:11:42 PM »

Howie who??? :nixweiss:

You know.   The masked man with the big Z on his shirt.  Howie.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 01:05:52 AM »

Got an email response from this cooler's manufacturer about selling their thermostatically controlled oil cooler separately.  They will.  $350.00.  Ouch.

kg4p

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »

I installed an Oil Bud on my lowered '09 FXDC, 103 Stage III (I ride a lot of gravel roads and have put three oil pans on my V-Rod in seven years). The Oil Bud's construction and design are hands down the best I found after a lot of research. I fear no leaks or punctures with this unit. It is rock solid and its effectiveness is second to none. The unit was tested on a bike idling in the shop; oil temps reached 250°, oil returning to the motor was 156° with no air circulation... it works flawlessly. Some complain about having to remove one bolt to swing the rear cooler out of the way to access the drain plug... whiners. This is the best you can get for your money... the unit's weight is negligible. It does not interfere with jacking the bike up. Critics question this product without the facts in hand... I'm sold on its quality, function, & aesthetics. Oil Bud has it all.

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »

The unit was tested on a bike idling in the shop; oil temps reached 250°, oil returning to the motor was 156° with no air circulation... it works flawlessly.

If you believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale real cheap. Give me a break. Thats the most ridiculous comment I think i have ever read.
If this statement was true you should be able to do the same thing to a car. Disconnect your fan and see how fast you will overheat just sitting there idling.
I just don't see how it gets any air flow tucked under like that. Just like a car radiator, a oil cooler needs air flow. As long as you are moving you don't need one, its when you get stopped in traffic for any amount of time is when you need the oil cooler. And without a fan the cooler doesn't get any air flow. I think this is still the best thing out there for that problem.  http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/index.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:29:39 PM by koobs »

kg4p

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 05:34:57 PM »

hey Koobs, I didn't get on here to spout BS, I offer to help others from my experience. People that know me rest assured I don't lie. Take it or leave it. Earthquake speculators might be interested in your ocean front property. Hang onto it, you never know...

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 05:42:30 PM »

hey Koobs, I didn't get on here to spout BS, I offer to help others from my experience. People that know me rest assured I don't lie. Take it or leave it. Earthquake speculators might be interested in your ocean front property. Hang onto it, you never know...

Ok. So please help me understand how without any air flow blowing across the cooler the temp will go from 250F to 156F. Is the cooler covered with ice packs? Maybe liquid nitrogen? What am I missing?  Please help me out here.

kg4p

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 07:56:46 PM »

At idle the oil flow is slower, more time to dissipate heat through a conductor... aluminum being the second best heat conductor available... the design of the oil bud has checkered ridges machined in the shell (both top and bottom) of a substantial housing... similar to a greatly exaggerated knurl... thus increasing the surface area exponentially to dissipate heat... plus the fact that the unit is two separate coolers, one under the motor, a secondary unit under the tranny... The oil bud was adapted from an aircraft design, thus the engineering and thought behind the product was used and proven in extremes of cold and heat no Harley will ever see. I'm not a NASA engineer but just so you know I ain't a Kracker I have two years of civil engineering under my belt, 75,000 miles on an '02 V-Rod, 8,000 miles on my Dyna in three months, and a 1948 Pan/Shovel for backup... I will put some serious miles on the Dyna this summer and keep posting periodically... I fear no evil from the Oil Bud. I personally feel it is the best protection available... yes its pricey but a mere drop in the bucket compared to my bike's value and desired longevity/integrity. Electronics can fail and I read of several fan failures from Lenale... not dissing their products, I seriously considered one but looked further with an open mind.

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »

I'm sorry but that doesn't convince me that you can lose almost 100 degrees of heat simply by using a aluminum oil cooler. If that was true, my Camaro that has a aluminum radiator wouldn't need a fan. Believe me, without a fan it would overheat in a hurry. There is no way you can dissipate that much heat. Your comment about losing that much heat just with a cooler and no air flow is ridiculous. Please prove me wrong. Post a video showing the temp gauge at both ends.

Harleyrider_49

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »

:nixweiss: I don't know about the temp sit'n still go'n from 250-156.......but I think this guy's got a winner,IMO :2vrolijk_21:, have been to his site numerous times, he's got some video there that deserves a look......he DOES jack the bike up with it under there.......takes a hammer NUMEROUS times to the cool'n part of it,and you can still see through the chambers...don't think rocks will be an issue. Also like the thermo-control part of it, seems to be made very well....it's PRICEY! but would be the ticket to not have a bulky cooler mounted out front on the downtubes someplace......I'd have ta give it some thought!  Hard to say if it will still pick up heat from underneath.......wish I knew somebody close to me run'n one   :coolblue:

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »

I have no doubt this is a very well made product. I just cant believe the claim that this will dissipate almost 100 degrees without any air flow just sitting there idling. I could buy 20 to 30 degrees but not 100. But just my opinion.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »

I have installed (and later removed) one of these for a customer on a 09 SERG. Oil temp drop was 20-30 degrees read @ the temp dipstick. It was removed as the customer wanted to have the fairing mount oil temp guage and the sensor cannot go into the pan with the cooler there. I installed a Jagg 10-row and the customer reported back that the Oil bud was slightly better than the Jagg.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 09:03:12 PM »

I have 1 thought, on another topic about oil coolers someone stated that you should not stack oil coolers. Using the stoack cooler and adding another was not a good idea. I was wondering if this cooler falls into this question. This cooler looks bigger than the stock 1. Anyone have a thought on this?

Harleyrider_49

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »

I have installed (and later removed) one of these for a customer on a 09 SERG. Oil temp drop was 20-30 degrees read @ the temp dipstick. It was removed as the customer wanted to have the fairing mount oil temp guage and the sensor cannot go into the pan with the cooler there. I installed a Jagg 10-row and the customer reported back that the Oil bud was slightly better than the Jagg.

I think Twolane addressed this issue in an earlier post, does'nt it have a place tapped for a sender on the bagger setups?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 09:21:37 PM »

I think Twolane addressed this issue in an earlier post, does'nt it have a place tapped for a sender on the bagger setups?

Had been so long since looked at it to begin with was just reviewing that myself.  In the new oil filter adapter housing (on the front of the engine) the install docs show a sending unit location.  Directly beneath the oil filter.  If you had the the Harley oil temp kit the little harness to the sending unit would have to be extended a bit.  Couple of splices wouldn't be a big deal though.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 09:25:08 PM »

It does but only for 1/8" NPT sensors. This sensor was a Dakota Digital that uses 3/8" NPT (same as the plug in the oil pan). The customer also did not care for the look of the adapter and thermostat.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 09:26:53 PM »

It does but only for 1/8" NPT sensors. This sensor was a Dakota Digital that uses 3/8" NPT (same as the plug in the oil pan). The customer also did not care for the look of the adapter and thermostat.

Gotta love the dance of making multiple and independent aftermarket systems play together.   :drink:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »

I would like to see this cooler in action, in person to see the big temperature drop.  I know heat is an enemy to Harley's and anything that will do what they claim would be great if it really did the job.  Worry somewhat about under the bike mount, I have had some pretty low bikes that barley make it in and out of parking lots without dragging the frame.  Love the fact that it is hidden though.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »

I will try this unit on my SEEG2 pumpkin. I have had unit for a while just didn't install it yet . next fall I will share all as I will be using it on a fresh R&R 131". I don't use  temp dipsticks for oilbucket after puking oil out of dip stick on back brake. I also have set-up to put oiltemp gauge in fairing.      :pumpkin:

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »

I'm sure everyone here probably knows more than I do about oil coolers.  Simple question... How well can any oil cooler work on a bike without a fan? Seems to me the biggest issue of overheating is when the bike isn't moving.

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »

I'm sure everyone here probably knows more than I do about oil coolers.  Simple question... How well can any oil cooler work on a bike without a fan? Seems to me the biggest issue of overheating is when the bike isn't moving.

Thats why this is such a great product.....
http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/index.html

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »

put an Ultra Cool Custom oil cooler on my '09 FXDFSE inside the stock front spoiler.  Virtually unnoticeable, fan forced thermostactically controlled. Probably the best mod I've made. http://www.ultracoolfl.com/ they have pre-built coolers but will also customize for your specific application. 

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »

ryr8828dj...

Do you have a pic of the installed product? Have you used it in summer stop & go? If so, how effective is it?

Thanks,
Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

TwinCamGuy

• CVMA FL 20-3
    • FL

• CVO1: 10' FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 15' FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 10:57:56 PM »

I installed one of these on my SESG. Due to snowy conditions I have yet to road test it, but I'll fix that at bikeweek. The braided line was a bit of a pain. It seem a bit to long, however, after messen' with it a bit I got it to fit/work. So far no leaks, but again, I haven't been able to road test it. I'll have to take pics of it installed over the weekend.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
00 XL1200C 15K+mi
02 FXSTBI 57K+mi
10 FLHXSE 37K+mi
15 FLTRUSE 63 miles...

260SCRMR

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 CUSE3 Crystal Copper/Black Onyx 105th Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2012, 12:11:24 PM »

I see this topic hasn't been updated for quite awhile. Everything I've read and seen about the Oil Bud it looks like a quality part. Is there anyone out there that has had any negative results? :-\
True Dual Dresser Headpipes
2" Fullsac Power Cores
Stage 1 Chrome A/C
S.E. Super Tuner
Dyno Tune-Brandts HD

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »

I rode my 09SEUC thu Nevada last August with passenger and luggage. (not the smartest thing to do, but that is the only time I could get off work).  I wanted to take a cooler route home, but because of time we went basically south from Calgary area on the way home.Passing thru St. George Utah it was close to 115 Degrees and for several miles and  they were putting down new Blacktop. Believe me this was a total scorcher. My bike is stock other the Fulsac stage 1 kit, no cat, open air cleaner and 1.75 baffles, and  stage 1 download. Had to stop at Walmart to get new tennis shoes for my wife because the glue in the right tennis shoe let loose. The bike ran great with no issues. Got into Vegas just before dark and it was still 107 degrees out. I have the stock SEUC oil cooler, running  redline 20-60. IMHO" leave well enough alone."CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 10:44:38 AM »

There's a lot to like there.  But some questions as well.  Looked at his unit for the touring model and got this picture from his touring model installation PDF.

But...  I'm not sure I'm sanguine with the radiator being directly above the road surface.  It's easy to have visions of a puncture. 

I had something similar on my old 65 HiOutput,185 Hp, VDub.
As you suggested, it did not end well. Luckily I was able to remove it and continue on my trip home.

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 20 queries.