Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good ABS Info  (Read 2410 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Good ABS Info
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »

Just received this regarding ABS.. Good Stuff......Greg

:coolblue:With the Harley ABS 09 version you should get all your stopping power from the front brake. You have to learn to do a full panic stop with front brake only to get the shortest stop. It takes some practice because it is hard to get your brain to allow you to do a full shut down of your front brake at 50 MPH. Your rear brake should only get input caused by inertia driving your toes forward on your brake pedal. With the ABS you can do a full panic stop on sand, dirt, or even gravel with front brake only. We should all practice that.
For those of us with 08 models you need to go back to the dealer and get the 09 download to your 08 ABS. The 07 and 08 ABS was set to cut in too early and the ABS activated while you are still in a controlled stop. The result was longer stopping time. The 09 download was released to the dealers on Dec 10th of 2008 and is a free warranty download. Harley doesn't advertise the upgrade but it is a must for the kind of riding we all do.
The guys that teach the ERC have to teach for all bikes and their mandates are different. Harley ABS really requires some different information to get the most out of the system. You really don't want to apply equal pressure during your stops, you transition front to rear and get your hands off the front brake at walking speed if you don't want to learn how to pick up your bike. Also, making a stop shorter by 6 or 8 feet doesn't sound like much unless that same 6 or 8 feet is taken up by a Dodge pickup loaded with bricks.
Feel free to share this if you wish.
 This is from a  Run for the Wall  Road Guard buddy of mine that trains with the motor Cops in Tuscon..Greg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:18:40 PM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Good ABS Info
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:22:22 AM »

Good article.

I always thought (and was trained back in the 80's) that ABS works "after" lockup.

The article states that the system can determine the "verge of lockup".
I think this is wrong or at least misleading.

Having worked on the systems since they first became available on Chrysler products, it by far the best improvement to autos since the air bag.

Being optional on a bike would be a "must have" option for me.
Now if they would only tie the front and rear together like a car (and having it selectable)
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »

Thats the type of info Harley should include besides the dvd they give you.Also the dealers should explain this also..almost all cars have abs now ,almost as I can speak for GM vehicles
People are only afraid of what they don't understaind

jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:52:52 AM »

So this goes against the info in the manual that says to apply both brakes at full force???

Scott

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:16:37 AM »

Thanks for the info guess i should drop by the shop and get the down load.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »

Thanks for the article.  Good read! I can tell you that I'll never buy another bike without ABS.  I love the system on Nemo.

I'm confused by your statement to use only the front brake... Yes, I understand trusting the ABS and to hammer the front brake and let the ABS handle it.  AS LONG AS YOU'RE IN A STRAIGHT LINE.  But I can find nothing, either in searching the net or in my years of experience to tell me not hammer the rear break as well.  Most of the stopping power comes from the front wheel.  But not all... so why not let the rear grab what it can?  I also understand about part of the reason the front handles so much of the stopping is because of the forward weight shift durring braking.  This will still happen with the rear brake engaged.  My final argument is that if using only the front brake was beneficial in an ABS equiped bike, they'd eliminate linked braking systems, or at least have them engage front only in an ABS activated stop.

So why not both brakes?

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:53:54 PM »

:coolblue:With the Harley ABS 09 version you should get all your stopping power from the front brake. You have to learn to do a full panic stop with front brake only to get the shortest stop. It takes some practice because it is hard to get your brain to allow you to do a full shut down of your front brake at 50 MPH. Your rear brake should only get input caused by inertia driving your toes forward on your brake pedal. With the ABS you can do a full panic stop on sand, dirt, or even gravel with front brake only. We should all practice that.
For those of us with 08 models you need to go back to the dealer and get the 09 download to your 08 ABS. The 07 and 08 ABS was set to cut in too early and the ABS activated while you are still in a controlled stop. The result was longer stopping time. The 09 download was released to the dealers on Dec 10th of 2008 and is a free warranty download. Harley doesn't advertise the upgrade but it is a must for the kind of riding we all do.
The guys that teach the ERC have to teach for all bikes and their mandates are different. Harley ABS really requires some different information to get the most out of the system. You really don't want to apply equal pressure during your stops, you transition front to rear and get your hands off the front brake at walking speed if you don't want to learn how to pick up your bike. Also, making a stop shorter by 6 or 8 feet doesn't sound like much unless that same 6 or 8 feet is taken up by a Dodge pickup loaded with bricks.
 This is from a  Run for the Wall  Road Guard buddy of mine that trains with the motor Cops in Tuscon..Greg

So, does this apply to 09 models or not?  The download was released to dealers on 12/10/08 and I had my 09 for over a month by then.  Was this something not on the earlier built 09's or something I can ignore?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »

Greg,  great information.  Thank you!   :2vrolijk_21:

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Lkn4advtr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »

I also took delivery of my 09 Orangecrush SERG before 12/08 does it have the proper download? The ABS braking does seam different than what on my 08 casper SEUC.
Bruce
'Rollin down the highway, Lookin for adventure"

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »

Hi

The local dealer here in Germany states that what they can find states that the update is only if you are using Michelin tires. If using Dunlop tires the update is not needed.

If this is not correct can someone point to a reference or buletin that I can show the dealer?

Thanks,

Megavolt17
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »

Interesting.  I've saw posts on other forums that talks about the ABS activating way to early, while still in a controlled stop.  I did several panic stops from 40-50 mph and didn't experience that and I was wondering if it was being activated at different intervals on different bikes.  Now we know. 

I can say that the bike stops so quick from 50 mph that you better be ready to throw your feet down very quick, too, once it does get stopped.  It all happens very, very quick.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

pokerpig

• CVO1: 2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »

I think this info is just wrong. The whole idea of ABS is that in an emergency you can brake as hard as you need to - both front and rear - without the fear of locking a wheel and losing control.
Even though most of the braking is done by the front wheel due to inertia, the rear brake does reduce braking distance and should be used.
I think this is a perpetuation of a myth from when CBS first came out on the Honda VFRs. Some folks felt that too much pressure on the rear brake would cause the front brake to lock and lose control. It wasn't true, and even if it was the Harley system is not CBS.
Until I get better info than "something said by a friend of a friend" I'm going to do it the way Harley says - use both brakes. 

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »

Hi

The local dealer here in Germany states that what they can find states that the update is only if you are using Michelin tires. If using Dunlop tires the update is not needed.

If this is not correct can someone point to a reference or buletin that I can show the dealer?

Thanks,

Megavolt17
My local dealer said the same thing that it was only necessary if you sat on Michelins.WTF?

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.