Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Chrome head bolt bridge  (Read 10041 times)

blown302

Re: Chrome head bolt bridge
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »

Just want to thank everyone for all the info- :2vrolijk_21:

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »

I've been watching mine closely and haven't seen any arching.  Gonna put some SE wires on later with straight boot.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »

It would seem that the finned ones like 2Lane have would actually cause more heat to dissipate if anything......can't see why they had the disclaimer on them, but I do remember putting them back on the shelf due to reading it on the box.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

Got em on the WG2. Never had any issues with them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »

Just want to thank everyone for all the info- :2vrolijk_21:

Unfortunately didn't look like anyone actually helped with the problem you're encountering other than to perhaps eliminate a few potential worries or ideas.  Were you able to relieve the rubbing area in such a way that you don't see the missing chrome?  Or did the work have to be visually obvious?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »

My '07 SERK, pictured above, has a 110 engine. As I said, fitted without any problem.

@Twolane
Had the finned version on the '05 SEEG. Was looking good with the light grey color of the engine and matching finned bridges. With the black engine on the '07 SERK I liked the chrome of the headbolt bridges best. Now on the '09 I am undecided ;-). By the way yours, with all those treatments, should really deserve a different part number ;-)

Ride safely,
Louis

Could not agree more on the black motors Louis.  Have seen two side by side.  One with the black bridges and one with the chrome.  On that dark motor the contrast of the chrome bridge looks much much better (at least to me).

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »

Unfortunately didn't look like anyone actually helped with the problem you're encountering other than to perhaps eliminate a few potential worries or ideas.  Were you able to relieve the rubbing area in such a way that you don't see the missing chrome?  Or did the work have to be visually obvious?

OH NO DON"T SCRATCH THE CHROME :2vrolijk_21:, What little bit of grinding i done was on the back side' on the first one i did get into the chrome just a little at the bottom :oops:, but the spark plug boot covers it. No one knows about it but me :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:49 AM »

OH NO DON"T SCRATCH THE CHROME :2vrolijk_21:, What little bit of grinding i done was on the back side' on the first one i did get into the chrome just a little at the bottom :oops:, but the spark plug boot covers it. No one knows about it but me :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

If the surface area of the chrome now has an open edge I'd suggest at least considering one idea.  Take the bridge back off and cover the area you ground with clear nail polish.  If not you'll eventually get moisture or oil vapor migration (or both) under the chrome.  Pitting and/or peeling will happen much sooner than it otherwise would have.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 08:58:14 AM »

If the surface area of the chrome now has an open edge I'd suggest at least considering one idea.  Take the bridge back off and cover the area you ground with clear nail polish.  If not you'll eventually get moisture or oil vapor migration (or both) under the chrome.  Pitting and/or peeling will happen much sooner than it otherwise would have.
Or some 'high temp' paint (clear, if you've got it) to seal the area....not sure nail polish will hold up in that area.  :-\  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »

Or some 'high temp' paint (clear, if you've got it) to seal the area....not sure nail polish will hold up in that area.  :-\  spyder

Yeah, what Spyder said.  He's smarter than me so pay attention to him.

I've used clear nail polish on chrome edges that have needed to be "contoured" for years because it's so hard.  But didn't think about how it would hold up right against the engine. 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »

Yeah, what Spyder said.  He's smarter than me so pay attention to him.

Yeah right!  :huepfenlol2: If I was so smart, how come I invested in HD & Sat. Radio common stock?  :nervous:  har!  spyder

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »

I didn't use nail polish, It was some product i picked up at a chrome shop when i had my Freightliner.  The chrome lighted strips that run from the back of the sleeper to the hood on a Freightliner are very cheap and they would chip and bubble if one could catch it in time it would stop or slow down the bubbling.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:16 AM »

Yeah right!  :huepfenlol2: If I was so smart, how come I invested in HD & Sat. Radio common stock?  :nervous:  har!  spyder

Nobody nails it every time Spyder.  Not enough Holiday Inn Express rooms for everyone.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.