Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zillion questions from a newbie...  (Read 2155 times)

PIBIT

Zillion questions from a newbie...
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »

Hey there...yup just joined so i have some pent up questions, hope you don't mind although I probably should have done a search on some of this before posting. First Harley for me, my 08 SEUC, and the first thing I noticed was it seems to wander a bit once over 80mph...is this normal...have noticed that handling seems to be very susceptible to correct air pressure, more so than I am used to...which raises the question as to whether those "stabilizer" bars I have seen advertised make much of a difference as far as handling goes. Secondly, recognizing the bath one would take, is there really that much of a decipherable difference in handling and comfort between the 08 and 09...I seriously thought about trading in until they jacked up the price about 4k for the 09...and I don't really see any real unhappy 08 owners on this board, so I am assuming not, but I would be interested in anyone else who has considered it or actually done it for those reasons. And finally, I have had the head gasket leak which was supposedly fixed over the winter and I will find out in April, however, after following the series of articles in American Iron by Donny Petterson I am not optimistic as they suggest that Harley has not yet correctly diagnosed the problem and thus are only temporarily addressing the symptom...other's thoughts? Oops...this is my final question...re engine heat...put on Kury heat shields and that helped...and over the winter I had the realer install/activate the idle limiter option...does this really help much, any downside etc for those that have had this done?
Again, thanks guys...appreciate the input from all you veterans.
PIBIT ;D ;D
"You can only go halfway into the darkest forest before you are coming out the other side, unless of course, you have been walking in circles"

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Zillion questions from a newbie...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »

Welcome to the site!

And YES, there is a night and day difference between an 09 and earlier models!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 12:58:41 PM »

Hey there...yup just joined...

:welcome_005: to the forum from the beautiful state of Tennessee! You should make your way over to the New Member Introduction area and post their with some informaiton about yourself and pics of your bike. After all, :worthless:

....so i have some pent up questions, hope you don't mind although I probably should have done a search on some of this before posting....

We never mind questions here, even ones that have been answered before. Some of your questions have indeed been addressed in other threads. I'll try to give you some pointers where you can find more info on the forum.

First Harley for me, my 08 SEUC....

Well, then welcome to the Harley-Davidson family. That's a great bike you have there. Enjoy it! We've got folks here who can help you figure out how to spend more of your hard-earned $$ on treats for your ride.

...the first thing I noticed was it seems to wander a bit once over 80mph...is this normal...have noticed that handling seems to be very susceptible to correct air pressure, more so than I am used to...which raises the question as to whether those "stabilizer" bars I have seen advertised make much of a difference as far as handling goes.

This is a common issue with Harley touring bikes... prior to the 2009 models when the frame was completely redesigned. I've owned two pre-2009 touring bikes, but never considered the problem serious enough to spend the money on a True-Track or other anti-wiggle device. Other here have added these devices to their touring bikes with reportedly great success. Here are some discussions on the subject of the True-Track system. There are others out there. This is just one example.

Secondly, recognizing the bath one would take, is there really that much of a decipherable difference in handling and comfort between the 08 and 09...I seriously thought about trading in until they jacked up the price about 4k for the 09 and I don't really see any real unhappy 08 owners on this board, so I am assuming not, but I would be interested in anyone else who has considered it or actually done it for those reasons.

Having just traded an '07 FLTR for the '09 SERG, I can tell you that there is an incredible difference in this new frame for the '09 bikes. However, I'm not sure that would be reason enough to get me to trade an '08 CUSE for an '09 CUSE or SERG. Of coures, that's me, not you...

And finally, I have had the head gasket leak which was supposedly fixed over the winter and I will find out in April....

Go to the cvoharley.com home page and enter "gasket leak" in the Search box at the top right. When you click on "Search", you will find numerous articles here about the gasket leak -- and other issues that have arisen -- on the 110" CVO motors. Lots of good info there on what can/does happen and how to stave it off/fix it.

....however, after following the series of articles in American Iron by Donny Petterson I am not optimistic as they suggest that Harley has not yet correctly diagnosed the problem and thus are only temporarily addressing the symptom...other's thoughts?

Check out the thread American Iron Article on the 110" Issues is out for some opinions on the American Iron article...

Oops...this is my final question...re engine heat...put on Kury heat shields and that helped...and over the winter I had the realer install/activate the idle limiter option...does this really help much, any downside etc for those that have had this done?
Again, thanks guys...appreciate the input from all you veterans.
PIBIT ;D ;D

There are several heat shield solutions out there... Kuryakyn & H-D among others. All of them significantly reduce the amount of heat that the rider feels on his/her inner thighs on a late model Harley. I've not had the idle limiter option installed. As I understand it, this only works at extreme temps when the bike is at idle and does so by shutting down the fuel and spark to the rear cylinder to allow it to cool. That would not address heat issues when riding.

Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure others will chime in.

Again, welcome to CVOHarley.com!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:08:28 PM »

Welcome and while you have your wallet out don't forget the traxxion dynamics thread, hawg wired, Bitubos..and ummm, I'll get back tou you!  :drink:

PIBIT

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »

...thanks for the detailed response...and the links...very helpful and much appreciated...
PIBIT ;D ;D
"You can only go halfway into the darkest forest before you are coming out the other side, unless of course, you have been walking in circles"

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »

You are welcome, PIBIT!

BTW, what does PIBIT stand for? Pain In the Butt In Toronto? Jes' kiddin'...

:ROFLOL:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »

Welcome aboard here as well. As you can see, questions get answered around here.

Classic45

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »

Welcome from - Moss - Norway!  :coolblue:

I'm riding a 08 CUSE3 and I'm quite happy about the behaviour of the bike.

I have installed H-D Heat Shields, it reduces the heat a bit, but it is still HOT.
2000 FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic
2005 FLHRC Road King Classic
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2010 FLHXE
2013 FLTRXSE2

Iron Butt Association Membership Number: 38579

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »

Welcome!  Good Questions.

1. Handling - Own an '08 have ridden '09... '08 with True Trak or similiar device will bring them close enough handling wise to make it not worth trading.  Although I haven't had the money yet everything some of our most experienced members here say is that the Traxxion Dynamics fork conversion and Bitbuo or Progressive shock upgrade will make it evven better and you can do all of the above for less then the bath you'd take trying to get out of the '08 and onto an '09

2. Leak - So far it seem most people here are doing OK after the "product improvement" campaign on the SEUC since that get's you the new head.  The '09 is basically the '08 with the "product improvement" campaign.  None of what Donny says causes the problem in the articles has changed between '08 and '09... So ignore him.  Personally, I think that unless you're building a race motor you can get the 110 fairly reliable with the "Product improvement campaign" change, High Flow A/C, Less restrictive exhaust and some sort of ECM remapper (S/E Race Tuner / PCIII / V&H Fuel Pak etc.).  These changes will cool the motor down to at least a passable level.  The HD or Kury heat shields will make it more comfortable and I run them, but they will not fix the overheating issues which I think contribute to the leaking issue.

3. I run the EITMS (Heat management setting thing  ;D) turned on on my bike.  It helps a bit during parades and traffic jams.  No difference in normal riding.  When it's activated, I've noticed it wants die at pull out, so I always blip the throttle to "wake up" the rear cylinder before pulling out.

Hope that helps!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

jiml

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:35:50 PM »

before getting my 09 seuc i owned an 05 eg classic i installed the tru-trak and it handled like a different bike definitely worth the money, don't buy the tool someone here has it if not let me know

PIBIT

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »

...very helpful J-Carr...thanks for thee info...feel better already...
PIBIT (Paint It Black In Toronto) ;D ;D

RickC

• 1K CVO Member

• Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »

PIBIT (Paint It Black In Toronto)

Okay... now I feel bad for pokin' fun at you, PIBIT..

PIBIT

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 06:24:17 AM »

...no problem Rick...just thought I would clarify what PIBIT was the short form for and why...to show no hard feelings this pic is for you...
Off to my Harley dealer today to see about the stabilizer bar and upgrading the rear shocks, and maybe a center stand...still have another month before riding up here...
PIBIT ;D ;D

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 08:05:06 AM »

...no problem Rick...just thought I would clarify what PIBIT was the short form for and why...to show no hard feelings this pic is for you...
Off to my Harley dealer today to see about the stabilizer bar and upgrading the rear shocks, and maybe a center stand...still have another month before riding up here...
PIBIT ;D ;D

Careful with that center stand.  Some of the stabilizers don't work with the HD center stand.  If you hunt around on the site here you'll find some more info.  Sorry I can't fill in the blanks but I don't use a center stand.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

RickC

• 1K CVO Member

• Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 08:07:55 AM »

Thanks, PIBIT...  :orange:

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.