Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wrong Model Number on Title?  (Read 4907 times)

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
Wrong Model Number on Title?
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »

Paid off my Springer and received the title in the mail today. The model number on the title says FXSTDSE2 (Deuce?) not what I expected FXSTSSE2. The VIN number matches the bike and when I run the VIN on the H-D webs site it comes up as a Springer. Has anyone else seen this on their title? Haven't talked to the dealer yet as they were closed after I checked my mail. Wanted to get some input from you guys before I talked to them tomarrow. Thanks

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Wrong Model Number on Title?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »

Not sure the model really matters, (would be nice to be correct) but as long as the Vin matches it is Ok.
The model appears no where on the bike that I know of.
Maybe it is easy to correct?
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »

I noticed on mine that the DMV listed my SERK as an SE2.  It may come back to bite me, but knowing how these things usually go I'm not going to try and have it changed.  It would probably end up being listed as a rowboat.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »

Bought a BMW used from a dodge dealer years back...  It was a 540i,  and its titled as a Dodge 528i....  Never had any problems,  just laughs at emmisions time..

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:56:57 AM »

The Screamin Eagles appear to screw with DMV and Insurance Databases.  My FLHTCUSE3 came up as a V-Rod by the insurance company but it was caught and corrected.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:33:05 AM »

I went through this not too long ago with a car I had purchased.

I bought a '55 Chevy Nomad back in '01 and never had the title transferred to my name.  Never finished the car and never even worked on it since I moved to St. Louis in '02.  So up for sale it went last spring.

I had a guy from Florida come up with a trailer ready to buy it and when I looked at the title it looked okay, as it did when I bought the Nomad.  But the guy from Florida noticed that the first two letters, CV, were reversed.  The V for V-8 is always first in the serial number, not the C.  He would not buy the car unless I could correct the title.

Let me tell all of you this, it is the burden of the seller to make sure the title is correct, not the buyer after the fact.  This is true in all states.

In my case the VIN matched the door post and the frame under the front seat, but the two letters had just been transposed on the title, as you know, an easy slip up if you don't pay attention.

While at the DMV with the buyer, I found out that I had to get a law officer out to inspect the car with a form from the DMV, which they gave to me.  Luckily he made it out in about 20 minutes and come to find out he was a car guy too.  He understood and signed the necessary places on the form.

So for the third time that Saturday morning, I went back to the DMV with the guy and he heard from the lady there that all was now good and that I would be issued a new title in no time.  The guy was now okay with the purchase and we moved on.

So at this time, without having a sale for the bike and not in a hurry, you have to go through the forms to get it corrected.  But now is the time to do it, not later.  In fact if you can do a paper trail of who did what where and when on the original paperwork, which you should have a copy of, you may not have to pay to have it corrected.  Maybe the loan company made the mistake and it's their burden to fix it, and again, do it now.

So if anyone has incorrect letters or numbers on their titles and the VIN other than that matches up to the bike, get the problem fixed now.  I almost lost the sale of the Nomad because I was not diligent enough to triple check the letters close enough.

Good luck to all on your title quest for perfection.........
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »

The selling dealership fills out the original title application for the respective state, therefore this is obviously an error in the office at the dealership that you bought the bike from, take it to them and have them get you a corrected title.
I am the Gen. Mgr. of a dealership group, and have seen this happen once in a while. I agree that it should be corrected before you want tell sell it, good luck
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Carlos Silva

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »

if I had a dollar for everytime I had to go back to DMV to fix THEIR mistake...remember who works there, the majority are worthless numbskulls with power-who can't get fired...the absolute worst combination...take it to a Supervisor with all your paperwork...good luck
2000 FLTRSEI  3-ToneRed - sold
2003 FXSTDSE  Centennial Gold
2009 FLTRSE3  Silver/Titanium
2007 400-HP TRAILBLAZER SS TOW VEHICLE

...when it comes to buying toys, I can justify anything

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »

Dealer told me I had two choices: Bring the title into the DMV myself or bring it to them and they would take care of it. I chose the latter. Dropped the title off yesterday. We'll see what happens. This bike is a keeper, so it's not going anywhere.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:20:12 PM »

Springervett, I had the same title problem with Illinois Secretary of states office on several HD bikes I have owned and each time I had to take the messed up version to the local drivers license facility and they'd send it in for correction. Usually takes about 3 weeks to get it back. I think it's laziness on the part of Secretary of State employees, because it's happened several times to me. Good luck.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.