Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: motor knock  (Read 981 times)

bulgerfxr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
motor knock
« on: October 01, 2005, 12:36:06 PM »

I have a 2003 SERK. Runs very good but lately it has a knocking sound in it. Seems like It is in the lower end someplace. Goes away when i throttle up above idle. I ca feel it in my left floorboard. The dang thing runs great but the noise worries me. Anyone else have this problem?

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
Re: motor knock
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 08:34:57 AM »

Sounds familer to me, that is what my bike did when the compensator nut came loose, I could also feel it if I put my foot on the top of the primary while I was riding.  It was the crank moving. When not at idle it went away. I hope your issue is somthing alot more simple. Good Luck  P.S. extended warrenty covers it for the 50$ deductable
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
Re: motor knock
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 12:11:36 PM »

That too, sounds like the compensator. I lost mine on a long ride from the West Coast to Chicago....pulled into Chicago Harley Davidson service center for routine stuff after riding almost 3,000 miles there. (This was my third compensator problem too) They called me about three hours later telling me that I was running on only three teeth of the chain gear. I had to get 50 cent parts air-freighted in ($40.00 and NOT covered) so as to be able to continue on. Harley Davidson has a design flaw, I'll bet got worked out on these fearly 103 ci's (mine was Dec '02)... After changing to gear drive cams, I also gained much smoother idle through red line precision in the engine. We used replacement parts in the compensator too; as I believe HD changed their properties right quick. I developed what you are talking about (I believe, if memory serves me) at about 7,500 miles, because at 8,000 I ended up changing the heads, pistons, ignition (again), true duals (absolutely LOVE), cams, blah, blah, blah , and haven't had one flaw since (30 K miles today) Mine has developed 125/125, and is at the peak without a hand grenade. Best to you...
Paul
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.