Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: '09 Gas Mileage  (Read 13303 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
'09 Gas Mileage
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »

A search brought up a number of threads discussing gas mileage, but I didn't see much for the '09's.  I've filled up three times so far, and it looks like I'm averaging about 34 MPG.  This is about 10 MPG less that I was getting on my old Heritage.  Judging from what I had heard on the '09's,  (>40 MPG) and the larger gas tank, I was thinking that my riding range would be greatly enhanced.  This is obviously not the case, and turns out to be about the same as the Heritage.  Is my 09 SEUC mileage about what everyone else is seeing?

Also, I would like some hints on filling up the tank.  The filler hole is REALLY tiny.  I'm used to keeping a close eye on the gas level as it fills up so that I can stop  pumping before gas splashes out all over the tank.  With this small hole, I really can't tell how close I am to filling the tank, causing me to give my tank's paint job a gas bath the first two fillups.  The only reason that it didn't happen on the last fillup was because I pumped REALLY, REALLY slowly.

Thanks,

Ed

Phoenixbiker

• CVO1: 09 Ruby Red SEEG
    • CVO2: (non) 94 Red FLHTUC
    • CVO3: (non) 82 FXR
Re: '09 Gas Mileage
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »

Ed,

Only run over 1,000km so far and consumption is similar to my old '94 ultra at 6.2 Lt/100k.

I had the same problem with the filler and fuel all over the tank on the first fill #@*. I then tried putting the nozzle down in the tank but beware there are wires in there (fuel guage/fuel pump ?). I put the nozzle in gently and fill slowly till the cutoff, fuel droplets still come out the vent holes and beside the nozzle if you are not careful. Then remove the nozzle and peer in and fill realy slowly - it does not take much more from this point say 1/2 litre.

Phoenix
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up space!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:12:14 AM »

Hey Woode, (don't worry, I wouldn't think about asking)

My gas mileage was terrible on my '08 until a friend of mine who also has a 6 speed informed me to read the manual...

I was getting far less mileage than any prior bike I've owned and couldn't figure it out.  I've always listened to the motor to decide when was the best time to change gears and was doing the same on my 6 speed, which when I bothered to look at the dial meant I was changing into 6th at about 60-65mph.

After listening to my friend's advise, the manual calls for you to be in 6th at 55mph.  I tried this and thought the bike was really sluggish when doing what the manual says.  However, after suffering through a tank of gas changing into 6th at 55mph my gas mileage improved greatly.

I have owned many Harley's over the years and that was the first time I ever looked in a manual... Must have something to do with my wife and I having 4 kids and neither of us ever read "The Joy of Sex"!

Give the manual a read and see what happens.  You maybe surprised.

Take care & ride safe,
Grizzly
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »

Hey Woode, (don't worry, I wouldn't think about asking)...

I was getting far less mileage than any prior bike I've owned and couldn't figure it out.  I've always listened to the motor to decide when was the best time to change gears and was doing the same on my 6 speed, which when I bothered to look at the dial meant I was changing into 6th at about 60-65mph.

After listening to my friend's advise, the manual calls for you to be in 6th at 55mph.  I tried this and thought the bike was really sluggish when doing what the manual says.  However, after suffering through a tank of gas changing into 6th at 55mph my gas mileage improved greatly...

Ask me about what??

Anyway, you may have something there.  I have been changing into 6th at higher speeds as well.  I'll give it a try.

Ed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:38:37 AM »

I think I had posted a few days back that I got 37 or 38 out of my last tank.  Today, with 2 up I got 34.  I run in whatever gear is going to give me enough zip with a quick turn of the throttle at the time.  If I'm on the highway, I'll keep it in 6th, but I think there are plenty of times that I keep it in 5th over 55.  I know I'll eat a little more gas that way, but I guess I just ride the way I ride.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »

I'm getting 35 MP/g with a 131 running in the rich side in open loop. And yes, the new filler holes are nasty. I tired one of those neoprene inserts that you place at the mouth of the filler hole and cant stand the thing. It wont let me fill the tank passed 3/4 fill. Anyone else try these things and have same problems?? :nixweiss:

AzNovice99

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »

I was getting 38-39 single or two up.  Changed my pipes to CFR slip-ons and got about 2MPH more. no other changes, mostly highway. As for filling the tank, I have found that if you balance the bike straight up and down when you fill you can get about a gallon more than if it is resting on its kick stand.  I keep a microfiber cloth in the fairing glove-box and put it around the nozzle when filling to stop the splashing which happens almost every time.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »

I've filled my tank twice now and got about 32 MPG so far - much less than I expected - Not a big deal but I was hoping for 200 miles per tank full
I am in Jury Duty and just read parts of the manual on shifting earlier than I experienced (yes Jury Duty is boring)

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »

The bike takes a while to "loosen up" if you will. 
You'll also see a jump in mileage once you get up in the 4-5K mileage range too. 
Everything is just settling in still if you've just ran a couple tanks of fuel through her. 

Ride it and enjoy. 
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

flibb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 04:10:58 PM »

ill have to check my gas mileage again but i checked it yesterday and it was 51mpg ill check it again that seems high

2008 rocker c, 2003 fatboy, 2015 rgu

Brinks

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 SERK Annie
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »

36 MPG, 2 up, total miles on bike 350.

1.75 Fullsac's, no cat, SERG A/C, TTS map from Fullsac.

Rides like a champ, Steve's map is working out great! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »

If you run her lean and hotter than hell you can get about 200-220 miles to the tank. If you put a SERT on her and change up your intake and exaust you can cool her down and you will get about 160-180 miles to the tank. It's not a HYBRID!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 05:48:33 PM »

If you run her lean and hotter than hell you can get about 200-220 miles to the tank. If you put a SERT on her and change up your intake and exaust you can cool her down and you will get about 160-180 miles to the tank. It's not a HYBRID!!

I've been filling up around 175 mile mark, but it always takes just around 5 gallons, so I figure I've got a gallon to spare at that point, or more if you fill it with the bike upright.  I'll give it the true test with a nice long roadtrip here in the next few weeks.

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »

550 miles clocked so far on the Softail springer, not the same bike but some observations anyway

20 to the gallon for first 200 miles fair bit of city driving, up down through the gears a lot  :nixweiss:
Trip to Motorcycle rally in Galway Saturday 60 to 70 mph mainly, odd blast 80mph, 36 mpg
Limerick to Cork at a leisurely pace on way back, nearly 40 mpg

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42:10 PM »

So would a lean, stock CUSE get more range out of a tank than a scooter with an sert, cat removed and less restrictive muffs?  Or do those mods increase performance and cooling, and possibly longevity, while sacrificing range.  Any thoughts?
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:06 PM »

I'm up to 37 now - at 1000 miles - so getting better.  No changes in riding patterns or highway/city proportions - mainly commuting over the same roads every day.  So, maybe the "settling in" has begun.

Ed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 12:17:20 AM »

So would a lean, stock CUSE get more range out of a tank than a scooter with an sert, cat removed and less restrictive muffs?  Or do those mods increase performance and cooling, and possibly longevity, while sacrificing range.  Any thoughts?

When you are running lean, that is saying that your air to fuel mixture is high, or in other words you have less fuel in the mixture and more air.  When you make the mods you mentioned, you will also be fixing the lean run by richening the mixture, or using more fuel in the mixture.  So, running it lean should get you more range out of a tank and richening the mixture will decrease your range, and along with the other changes made when it's tuned, increase your performance and lower your temperature.

If you've ever built a fire, you know that you can get those flames percolating better by adding some air (blowing on the hot ashes).  Leaving it run lean with more air in the mixture will keep your bike running hot.  I don't know if that's a good analogy or not, but I think it helps get the point across.

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 01:46:42 AM »

I ask the question about leanness because the bike from the factory is purposely inefficient due to EPA requirements.  I understand lean equates to more miles and heat but are there mods that would increase the bike's efficiency and increase both range and performance? 

Example, would I see a mileage improvement by removing the cat and adding free flowing muffs, no fuel/air changes?  Would I see cooling and maybe some minute performance improvements?

Hmmm?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 03:01:32 AM »

I ask the question about leanness because the bike from the factory is purposely inefficient due to EPA requirements.  I understand lean equates to more miles and heat but are there mods that would increase the bike's efficiency and increase both range and performance? 

Example, would I see a mileage improvement by removing the cat and adding free flowing muffs, no fuel/air changes?  Would I see cooling and maybe some minute performance improvements?

Hmmm?

I'm hoping that someone with a little more technical expertise chimes in on this question.  I would think that you may cause a more lean condition and risk engine damage, but then, I don't really know the correct answer to that one.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 06:54:42 AM »

Here's a good mileage test.  I just took my bike from Pittsburgh to Ft Lauderdale and back.  Total trip 2596.1 miles and the mileage calculation was completed to the last fillup at 2463.8 miles.  Gallons used were 59.877 gallons.  Mileage for the trip was 41.15 mpg.  I was not expecting anything near this figure.

I have an 09 SEUC with D&D 2 into 1 exhaust, Zipper MaxFlo air cleaner, HD Super Tuner, Dyno tuned.  No other mods.  I was not riding the throttle easy at all.  Cruising speed was normally around 80 mph with speeds in excess of 100 mph at least 20 times, and I couldn't even guess how many times over 90 mph.  I did hit a top speed of 110 mph at one point, and it seemed like I still had much more left on the table.  It was running very smoothly at that speed and around 3500 rpm's.  I did set the bike on cruise control several times on the way back, at around 75 mph, but I have trouble resisting that crack of the throttle on the open highways, so even while on cruise control, I made lots of bursts to 90 and 100 mph.  I was really expecting to see a mileage figure more like 34 to 36 mpg, so I was pretty impressed when I calculated this.

As far as filling the bike, I found that once the pump shuts off initially, I could still get another 20 to 30 quick on-off squirts of gas to top it off with the bike on the jiffy stand...probably lots more room with the bike upright.  I was getting from 200 to 210 miles per tank before filling up when I was riding alone, and usually showed mileage remaining of 35 to 45 miles on the tank when I filled up.  On the way down, when I was riding with some others, I was filling up at odd intervals due to when the others needed to stop, and one guy had a 2 gallon tank on a Sportster, which meant stopping for gas every 80 miles, or me filling up on every second gas stop.

Anyway, that's about as much info that I think I could possibly explain about the mileage.  This bike really loves speeds of 80 mph and up. The only complaint I have is that the bike is pretty much uncontrollable with heavy crosswinds.  I happened to hit some major wind issues on the trip heading south and had to pull off the road at one point and ride down the berm of the road for a few miles in 1st gear, as I almost got blown into the side of a few semi's through one wide open stretch.  The wind was so bad that when I was at the big Daytona Harley dealer in Ormond Beach, FL, it took me a while to park my bike.  I finally found a spot to park behind a truck to partially block the wind and even then I had to aim the front of the bike directly into the wind.  If I parked it with the wind hitting the bike from the side, I'm sure it would have blown over.  That's quite the dealer they have there.  As you will see in the photo, I was about the first customer for the day, and when I left, they were pulling the bikes in from outside for the night.  I was back and forth between Harley and JP Cycles the entire day.

In case anyone is wondering, the truck with the bike in the bed were there to be raffled off.  Nice truck!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:56:28 AM by 1abastarsmda »

eddfive

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 10:51:31 AM »

Any bike from the factory does not have the VE tables calibrated.  A lot of people will not believe me but the stock calibration is not optimized for your exact bike.  There are a lot of variables in a bike motor build.  The obvious ones are the fuel injectors from bike to bike are not matched and the feul pumps are not matched.  This can lead to as much as a +/-10% swing in fuel delivery between the exact same bikes.  This is why the stock download in these bikes are not optimized..

Even if you have the bike set at 14.6 and closed loop and the VE's are not calibrated you may not be getting the correct fuel.  The 2-wire O2 sensors on the bike work in a very narrow range of AFR to try and control fuel delivery.  My data has shown that they will work in the 7%,10%,15% and maybe the 20% and 25% TPS columns.  Maybe down to 3500 rpm or 3750 rpm.  The reason for this is the load or MAP pressure applied during the twisiting of the throttle.  As soon as you go to a high enough MAP value the bike goes to open loop and this is where it is imperative that the VE tables be calibrated.  This happens everytime you accelerate from stop, merge on to the highway, pass a car, race your buddy to the next watering hole etc. etc.

Yes, the bike runs but it needs to be optimized for both performance and fuel delivery.  There are a number of ways to accomplish the calibration, my choice is on a dyno as it is faster and will cover the entire range of the AFR/MAP table.  During a Dyno tune it is imperative that each cylinder is individually mapped for both fuel and ignition.  Support tables need to be optimized for the tune.

The above scenario is for a factory delivered bike.  Add free flowing exhaust, free flowing air cleaner, removing CATS all allows the engine to breath better or allows more air through the motor.  If the stock bike above is not optimized and you change air flow through the motor then the new changes are even farther from optimization.  The bike needs to be calibrated/tuned for performance and efficiency.  It does not really matter how you accomplish the calibration it needs to be done.  I am partial to Dyno tuning but I own a dyno and tune.

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 11:45:37 AM »

Now, the last two posts have some great info, thanks.  I would like to have bid on the truck.  Nice.

Guess I need to dyno my ride but two questions.  What is "VE" and what is the most compatible tuner for this beast?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:50:54 AM by Road Hog »

eddfive

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »

VE is Volumetric Efficiency.  Here is a definition from the SERT Help Files:
VE - Volumetric Efficiency

Volumetric efficiency is a percentage rating of how much air is flowing through the engine while running as compared to its theoretical capacity. 

For example, an engine with a displacement of 88-cubic inches running at 5600 rpm at full throttle has a theoretical airflow capacity of 100% when it flows about 143-cubic feet of air per minute, (cfm).  If the same engine flows 107cfm at 5600 rpm it would have a VE of about 75%. 

If the engine flows about 157cfm at 5600 rpm it would have a VE of about 110%.  Note the VE can exceed 100%, especially in high performance engines that have improved airflow through the engine.  VE reacts to engine speed and to anything that increases or decreases airflow through the engine.

There are a lot of tuning devices on the market.  I prefer the tuning devices that tune the Delphi ECM that is already on the bike.  Your choices here are MasterTune, Direct Link and Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner.  They all do a good job of tuning the bike.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »

My 09 has a non catalytic header pipe, Rinehart slip ons, Stage I K&N and PC V with autotune. 

I've been getting 41 to 42 with two up.  Runs great.

And it's cooler.

:orange:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 08:30:27 PM »

My 09 has a non catalytic header pipe, Rinehart slip ons, Stage I K&N and PC V with autotune. 

I've been getting 41 to 42 with two up.  Runs great.

And it's cooler.

:orange:

What air fuel mixture are you running in the various cells, ie. throttle position and rpm? That is pretty good mileage.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 07:54:47 PM »

36 MPG, 2 up, total miles on bike 350.

1.75 Fullsac's, no cat, SERG A/C, TTS map from Fullsac.

Rides like a champ, Steve's map is working out great! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Just curious if you've looked at Steve's TTS map he gave you. Maybe you have a different one than I got in Jan. 2009, but the only settings that were modified from the original file were the VE tables at 100% (WOT), the PE table was modified to run slightly leaner, and AE took away a slight amount of gas that gets injected when opening up the throttle. It certainly wasn't a complete tune map, apparently only a WOT tune. His map that I got uses a B1 file and TTS recommends using the new C2 files that came out in March 2009 for the touring models so I started over and did a v-tune using the C2 extension in the file (UJ205-002-C2.MT7) for my SEUC4. The bike runs great.

Randall 

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »

Not a SE bike, but my 09 street glide with 103, 255 cams, fullsac cores, and TTS is getting about 40 mpg tooling around the hills and never getting in 6th gear.. it gets over 50 on the freeway in 6th... that's loaded down and with a tourpak...

jimbob

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »

I rode 203 miles on my last tank today, and it shows 79 miles left until empty.  I know that's beating my average a few weeks ago of 41.15 mpg to Florida and back, as I normally had 30 to 40 mile range left at the 200 mile point.  My mileage is getting better or my riding style has slowed down.  It looks like those numbers would indicate something in the 42+ miles per gallon range today.  Actually, I couldn't go all that fast today.  We hit some roads with twisties to compare with the best of them ...pretty much non-stop curves for a few hundred miles today in PA, WV, and OH.  That was a tiring ride in this heat. 

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE³
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »

I have 530 miles on my SERG in the 12 days I have had it.  On the two complete fills where I calculated mileage, I got 41.3 and 42.9 mpg respectively.
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 09:35:30 PM »

Mine is an 08 SEUC, RTDs with quiet baffles, Stage I AC, SERT, and dynoed.  Typical 150-200 mile trips of mostly hiway, mostly 5th gear operation yields 40-42 mpg.  I did install the taller windshield to stop buffeting that probably hurts drag and mileage.
Satisfied, but it blows me away that my other bike, 125" Kaw, gets 50 mpg under the same conditions!
T-man

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »

I have 530 miles on my SERG in the 12 days I have had it.  On the two complete fills where I calculated mileage, I got 41.3 and 42.9 mpg respectively.

Smuuth, I'm assuming at 530 miles, you are still running your bike stock and haven't changed the map yet, which means you are running lean and using less fuel than you will after it gets dynotuned.  Mine dropped down and it seems like it's getting better now that I've put over 5000 miles on it, and about 4000 of them this month.  I think my bike is breaking in, but at the same time, I'm now getting some good highway miles in.  Normal day rides and around town, I may still be getting something in the 30's.  But the point is that after you reach your 1000 miles for break in, if you are like a good many of us, you will change exhaust, intake, and get a fuel management system, and then get your bike dynotuned.  At that point, they will richen your air fuel ratio, or add more gas to the equation, which will tend to lower your mileage.  Your bike will perform better, and you will run cooler, which in turn is not as hard on the engine...but your mileage will probably drop some overall.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 09:29:29 AM »

:)

On my 07 when I installed the TMAT(with wide band O2 sensors), D&D 2-1, and intake, my mileage went down 1 to 2 miles per gallon.

However, on my 09, when I installed the intake, Rinehart slipons, PC V with autotune and removed the cat header pipe, my mileage actually increased by over 2 mpg.  had the work done at 1000 miles and now have over 3400 and its getting better.

Go figure. 

Plus it runs cooler and more power.  Only logically explanation is the cat is so restrictive it chokes the engine.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 07:27:13 PM »

Well...  I just spent my first real day on my 09 SERG since I bought it. WOW!!!  what a day.  Riding with fellow members of my local chapter  and enjoying a beautiful perfect Florida day.

After reading everyone's posts on this read, I have a couple concerns and or questions I need some help with.  But first, here's the specs on this bike:
1. 09 SERG with 300 fresh miles on her.
2. Cats removed
3. TTS Mastertune Installed with a current Fullsac map from Steve.
4. 2" Fullsac baffles.

I filled up the tank at 7:00 AM with as much gas as I could squeeze in (trying to not splash gas all over the damn place and not being very successfull...).  Afterwhich I noticed that the needle on the gas gauge never really pegged all the way to full. It was just a shy under but not too much to be overly concerned about.

It seemed like within the first 30 to 40 minutes of riding I could visually detect the guage already starting to drop a little.  By the end of the afternoon and 100 miles later I'm now on a half tank...   This has me a little concerned.  I wasn't riding all that hard. After all we were in a large group running back roads with minimal to moderate traffic.

Is it normal and common  for a SE 110 bike with such low miles to suck up gas so quick..? Or will this be the norm going forward..?

I have Steve's latest and greatest TTS map for my bike, should I still be thinking about getting this bike dyno'd anyway..?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »

::) ::) ::)

My personal experience both with my bikes and with my friends is that it takes about 3000 to 5000 for the bikes to start getting better gas mileage.  It's not uncommon for the bike to increase 4 to 5 mpg just with mileage.

After several thousand miles if it still is bad (relative term) less than 37 or 38, might want to check into it.  New ones can get 30.

It will get better.

Former 1999 Road King

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »

Well...  I just spent my first real day on my 09 SERG since I bought it. WOW!!!  what a day.  Riding with fellow members of my local chapter  and enjoying a beautiful perfect Florida day.

After reading everyone's posts on this read, I have a couple concerns and or questions I need some help with.  But first, here's the specs on this bike:
1. 09 SERG with 300 fresh miles on her.
2. Cats removed
3. TTS Mastertune Installed with a current Fullsac map from Steve.
4. 2" Fullsac baffles.

I filled up the tank at 7:00 AM with as much gas as I could squeeze in (trying to not splash gas all over the damn place and not being very successfull...).  Afterwhich I noticed that the needle on the gas gauge never really pegged all the way to full. It was just a shy under but not too much to be overly concerned about.

It seemed like within the first 30 to 40 minutes of riding I could visually detect the guage already starting to drop a little.  By the end of the afternoon and 100 miles later I'm now on a half tank...   This has me a little concerned.  I wasn't riding all that hard. After all we were in a large group running back roads with minimal to moderate traffic.

Is it normal and common  for a SE 110 bike with such low miles to suck up gas so quick..? Or will this be the norm going forward..?

I have Steve's latest and greatest TTS map for my bike, should I still be thinking about getting this bike dyno'd anyway..?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Matt,

You should hook up a laptop and run VTune that comes with the TTS program. The map may be good but no two bikes are the same and you probably need to get your VE's dialed in.

jb

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »

It almost sounds like your tank wasn't full to start with, and 100 miles down to half a tank, with it being less than full may not be bad.  The 2nd half of the tank won't get you double what the first half did though.  My bike wasn't getting very good mileage for the first 1000+ miles and then suddenly when I took a long trip, I averaged over 41 mpg at speeds very rarely under 80 mph.  My bike has since been averaging about the same or more with local riding.  I did have my dyno'd and I have the SEPST though, so I can't comment on the TTS.  My tank shows somewhere in the range of 275 miles to empty now when I fill it up.  I think it was showing about 210 to 220 miles when I first got the bike.  I'm definitely getting better mileage now, but I've got almost 6000 miles on it now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:56:39 PM by 1abastarsmda »

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »

I have never owned a harley where the gas guage was accurate, depending on that will surely leave one walking at some point. I set the trip meter, dont even bother to look at the guage. I am getting 42.4 mpg on the ultra since I changes the pipes,air cleaner an put the PC on.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 11:41:45 PM »

My gas gauge seems to be consistent, and no different that what I have in a car.  It stays on full for quite some time, and then starts dipping, and after the half tank mark, dips even quicker.  I have always had similar experience with cars.  It seems to be consistent as far as gauge reading, miles left on tank, and miles ridden.  I start thinking about gas in the 200 mile range and will ride it out to maybe 230, as long as the miles to empty still shows upper 30's to 40 miles left.  At that point, I start seriously looking for a gas stop.  I trust the gauges, but only so far.

My friend has an 08 SEUC and his gas gauge wouldn't reach full and showed him hovering on empty after a little over 100 miles.  But it would take in the 3 gallon range to fill it back up when it showed empty.  I told him that he had a problem...shop agreed...they ordered a new fuel gauge or tank floats, or whatever it is that they determined would fix the problem.

Another thing I have found is that the way the fuel opening is on my bike, when the pump shuts off, I can squeeze more gas in little spurts for quite some time to get it to actually fill up, and that's with it on the jiffy stand.  If the bike was upright, I'm sure it would hold some more.  That opening seems very prone to gas spitting back out at you, so you need to be patient and careful if you want to get it full.  Waiting for it to stop and a few quick top offs doesn't get it full.

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »

My gas gauge seems to be consistent, and no different that what I have in a car.  It stays on full for quite some time, and then starts dipping, and after the half tank mark, dips even quicker.  I have always had similar experience with cars.  It seems to be consistent as far as gauge reading, miles left on tank, and miles ridden.  I start thinking about gas in the 200 mile range and will ride it out to maybe 230, as long as the miles to empty still shows upper 30's to 40 miles left.  At that point, I start seriously looking for a gas stop.  I trust the gauges, but only so far.

an thats what you consider accurate???... different expectations I guess, I didnt say I was right, just that I have never owned a Harley with an accuate guage, if its accuate why would it go down fastr after you reach a half tank than gtting there..The technology is lacking

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »

an thats what you consider accurate???... different expectations I guess, I didnt say I was right, just that I have never owned a Harley with an accuate guage, if its accuate why would it go down fastr after you reach a half tank than gtting there..The technology is lacking

Why would you expect it to be better than every other motor vehicle on the road?  It's the same thing in every car I've ever driven.  I do believe my miles to empty indicator is accurate.  I think it's great that we have 3 different ways to crosscheck to make sure we know how much gas we have left.  Tripmeter, miles to empty meter, gas gauge.  If I run out of gas with all of those...my bad!

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »

I'm relieved to hear much of the feedback I've read so far.  I'll work on adding mileage to the scoot while relying more heavily on the trip meter than the gas guage.  Meanwhile I'll look into getting a v-tune here locally.

I also ride an 04 Road King.  When I top it off, it stays on full a very long time before I ever notice it starting to dip.  That machine gets great mileage.

chrisCVO

• ChrisCVO
    • WV

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHTKSE
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »

Just returned from a 3500 mile , 10 day , 21 tanks of gas, ride.  My 09 cuse4 has 12,000 miles on it.  Best MPG was 39.4, worst: 32.8.  I averaged around 35 MPG.   Rear tire has 3-5 thousand left miles in it.  I had to replace the front tire in Louisiana at 10,000 miles,due to cupping.  Used no oil .  I have a race tuner,stock pipes and SE air cleaner . Dyno at 86 HP, 106 torque.  "Thats all I know about that !"   Chris

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »

I had front tire cupping also. :nervous:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

chrisCVO

• ChrisCVO
    • WV

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHTKSE
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 02:10:24 PM »

I run 38 lbs front , 40lbs rear.  Had bike in shop before I left.  (CB problems)  I also had them check the front tire because the wheel weights had come off.  I didn't re-check air pressure. 
Good news was that the dealership in Houma, Louisiana had a black wall in stock. They had me out in a couple hours,  GREAT PEOPLE!

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »

:apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper:

My experience would lead one to believe on my 09 SE Ultra, my mileage went up (albeit a little) but cooler, more power and better throttle, after I got rid of the cat, put on the Stage I AC, Rineharts and PC V with autotune.

And my mileage two up definitely went up.

:) :D ;D ::)

Former 1999 Road King

Berk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin’ Eagle® Ultra Classic® Electra Glide®, Stardust Silver and Twilight Blue
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »

Just returned from a 3500 mile , 10 day , 21 tanks of gas, ride.  My 09 cuse4 has 12,000 miles on it.  Best MPG was 39.4, worst: 32.8.  I averaged around 35 MPG.   Rear tire has 3-5 thousand left miles in it.  I had to replace the front tire in Louisiana at 10,000 miles,due to cupping.  Used no oil .  I have a race tuner,stock pipes and SE air cleaner . Dyno at 86 HP, 106 torque.  "Thats all I know about that !"   Chris

Could any one please explain what cupping of tire means. I asked my dealer about the service bulletin on the tires. He pulled it up and it showed that the tread on the tires were pointing the opposite direction when the tires were installed on bike. He didn't seem to be to concerned about it. just wondering if this has anything to do with cupping

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2009, 04:04:47 PM »

Could any one please explain what cupping of tire means. I asked my dealer about the service bulletin on the tires. He pulled it up and it showed that the tread on the tires were pointing the opposite direction when the tires were installed on bike. He didn't seem to be to concerned about it. just wondering if this has anything to do with cupping

The middle section of the tire, the part that is making contact with the road surface for the most part, you will see, or feel by running your hand or fingers across it, concave areas...like cups starting to form on the tread.  Dats cupping.

Berk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin’ Eagle® Ultra Classic® Electra Glide®, Stardust Silver and Twilight Blue
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 04:16:15 PM »

The middle section of the tire, the part that is making contact with the road surface for the most part, you will see, or feel by running your hand or fingers across it, concave areas...like cups starting to form on the tread.  Dats cupping.
[/quote

Thanks for the explanation. I only have about 2200 mile on I guess I'll find out as I add more milage.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »

[/quote

Thanks for the explanation. I only have about 2200 mile on I guess I'll find out as I add more milage.

I started to see it starting slightly at 5000 miles.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 21 queries.