Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: how much for a 1000 mile service?  (Read 4237 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: how much for a 1000 mile service?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 11:59:41 PM »

The prepaid maintenance plan is good for the dealer, no good for anyone else. Local dealer offered it to me when I was signing the papers, then laughed when I didn't answer then smiled and said "thought you were to smart for that" and went on. Get a calculator guys, this is crazy. $2000 for service? What were you thinking?

If you are someone that takes your bike to the dealer for every service interval, and you do a lot of riding, then it makes monetary sense.  Mine cost $1700 for 1000 thru 30,000 mile service, plus interim oil changes if desired.  The price includes spark plugs, lubricants, etc.  You pay nothing at your service visits, other than something like a tire.  At my dealer, after tax the maintenance is over $350 each.  I have had the 1000, 5000, and 10,000 miles services done thus far and 15,000 sometime soon...and I've only had the bike since November.  It's nice not having to fork over the cash every time I go in for the service.  Knowing that I was going to take mine in regularly and that I would easily hit 30,000 miles within the first 3 years with the bike, I'm saving myself at least $750 before anything like plugs, etc.  Do I feel it's worth it?  Yes.  Would I do it again? No.  Why?  I'm stuck with a shop that really hasn't treated me the way I expect to be treated and now I feel like I am stuck there until I hit 30,000 miles.  Also, I finally purchased a shop manual and I see that I could easily do almost everything they do and save some money.  However there are still some service intervals that I would let the shop do anyway.  It's still cheaper to pay them than to screw something up and have them repair my mistakes.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »

Just for comparison, I just had my oil changed. I supplied the Amsoil & Redline. Oil filter = $13.95, Gasket Service Kit = $4.95, Labor = 0.8 hrs $52 Total = $70.90.

CarrollB

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 12:48:41 PM »

Just had my 1K service done by a local shop.  The cost was $281.  I supplied the oil for the primary, I had just changed the cranckcase oil when I installed the oil cooler.  I didn't trust the dealer since I specifically ask when I picked the new bike up if I needed to check the fluids and was told no they have been checked.  Both the trans and engine oil were low and the tour pack lights had never been plugged in. So much for the dealer's $500 set up charge for a new bike. The local shop said the clutch was way out of adjustment.  I can actually find neutral now while sitting at a stop light. I also like the fact that the mechanic has been building custom bikes for over 25 years and I talked at length with him about what he did to my bike.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »

what is the going rate at your dealership for a 1K service?

Mine is $290.00

Henderson Nevada Harley Davidson $347.62 of which labor was $225.00 (2.5 Hours)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »

Let's not confuse a fluid change with a 1,5,10,or 20k Service. If done correctly and all things checked, lubed, inspected, changed as per instructed, can take a few hours especially if your like me and wash the bike after. If the techs at the dealers treated each bike like it was their own then the service bays would be stacked up.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »

I think my dealer is $325 or more now and they don't even charge you for the extra scratches and dents and dirt when they give back your bike.
x2   >:(
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »

High prices and poor service are bad enough, but... :-[......damage!  >:(  aaaaargh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 06:58:43 AM »

by the by,my price for the 1k service is $200.00, using HD oil, extra for synthetics or bring your own
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

cluckenbill

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 09:56:07 PM »

I love how people can spend upwards of $35,000 on a motorcycle and then complain about the price of an oil change. at my dealer the 1k is free. and my bike is always clean. everything i want is always done and then some i know the tech that works on my bike, on a first name basis and he always come out to talk with me after i pick it up from service. If your from southeast PA go to Classic H-D in reading pa. they always treat me right and at a good price. 250 for my 5k with syn 3.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 10:37:26 PM »

I have way more than 35 in mine but I still will never give $225 labor for oil change + fluids. No matter how much money you have this is just crazy. I really do not understand anyone smart enough to ride a bike, and it's not easy if done correctly, not changing his own oil, doing his own service. That is the ONLY way you will ever know it was done correctly.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »

I have way more than 35 in mine but I still will never give $225 labor for oil change + fluids. No matter how much money you have this is just crazy. I really do not understand anyone smart enough to ride a bike, and it's not easy if done correctly, not changing his own oil, doing his own service. That is the ONLY way you will ever know it was done correctly.

OUCH !!
I merely, stated what the invoice declared after the 1000 mile service was completed. I thought the question was so someone could see what the rates were in different sections of the country. However, since I am the one that stated $225.00 for labor I will assume your response is directed at me.
Well, with 3 years of services including wear items all inclusive in my purchase price of $30,486.00 for my 2009 SERG, I believe this is a great deal and it works very well for me. I will admit, I am not realizing the so called adrenaline high from changing fluids as you, and I to go to bed at night feeling unfulfilled.
I believe 3 years of Maintenance including wear items for $0.00 is a move made by a smart person, but, that is only my opinion.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.