Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: drive belt adjustment  (Read 3063 times)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
drive belt adjustment
« on: May 29, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »

without buying the specialty tools hd calls for what are some tricks to get the job done right. the left eccentric lobe is welded to the axle, a wrench on that side will take care of it.  the right side gives me fits while tightening. moves out of adjustment. i'm sure there is a simple trick. i have used a small clamp with protectors, :nixweiss:would someone pls share. and does anyone besides a dealer really own the belt tension gauge? i think someone even makes a jig for these. damn i miss the adjuster nuts. :drink: just trying to learn.

thanks

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Sean M Cary

Re: drive belt adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »

without buying the specialty tools hd calls for what are some tricks to get the job done right. the left eccentric lobe is welded to the axle, a wrench on that side will take care of it.  the right side gives me fits while tightening. moves out of adjustment. i'm sure there is a simple trick. i have used a small clamp with protectors, :nixweiss:would someone pls share. and does anyone besides a dealer really own the belt tension gauge? i think someone even makes a jig for these. damn i miss the adjuster nuts. :drink: just trying to learn.

thanks

TN

I do...

But I used a Sharpie and went back to the same setting it was at before taking my wheel off - and it was dead on.

ymmv

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 05:37:48 PM »

I do...

But I used a Sharpie and went back to the same setting it was at before taking my wheel off - and it was dead on.

ymmv

What he said!
The mech. at the dealership that replaced my tires mentioned that to me. (I had marked mine last time I was doing the adjustment)! There is a procedure in the service manual to help you out, but I made my own alignment tools to help out.
I asked the mech to see where he had my belt set at, and am satisfied that it is correct for my bike. Some dealers will not let you in the back. I always ask first and if not permitted, move on.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:48:06 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »

thanks

TN

I've got the little tension gauge.  Though my finger knows best for this.  Never had a problem with things moving as you're describing.  I do the final tighten like this:

Skinny "normal" axle wrench on the skinny concentric on the left side.  At the same time while holding the left tighten torque wrench on right side.  Use socket and extension coming straigt on the nut doing the whole thing just reaching around the rear of the bike.  Nothing can move this way and it's easy to do.  Only thing you have to for this approach is take the shocks loose so you can raise the axle over the muffler for the straight on approach.  But that makes the whole job so much easier it's really worth doing that way anyway.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 07:35:42 PM »

I do...

ymmv

That' a handy trick.  Marks on both of mine and all I've had before for a long time.  Over the life of a belt it'll never vary much at all.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »

IVE always had trouble keeping it tight. i found that if someone holds the welded side while tightning the nut it will stay put. :bananarock:

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »

sharpie's dont work. a small move is a big different. i suggest holding the left side of the axle with a wrench
  and the right side a torque wrench.  torque about 60ft. lbs check the belt , then torque to 105ft.lbs and check the
belt again. repeat as necessary.  cha cha cha.              axil   
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »

sharpie's dont work. a small move is a big different. i suggest holding the left side of the axle with a wrench
  and the right side a torque wrench.  torque about 60ft. lbs check the belt , then torque to 105ft.lbs and check the
belt again. repeat as necessary.  cha cha cha.              axil   

:2vrolijk_21: Unless they use a really really fine tip Sharpie and do an extremely precise job of making the marks, I don't think I would just rely on those marks without double checking with a gauge.  It's not like using the gauge is tough, takes about 10 seconds.  And if folks don't want to pay the Harley price, try Motion Pro.  That's what I have, and it works fine.
http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/pu/parts.cfm?topsecid=3&subsecid=28&secid=105&type=583

I use the same method as Axil, and just snug the nut while holding the left end with a wrench.  Once I verify the tension is where I want it, then I do the final tightening to spec.  So far I haven't had any problem with losing the adjustment.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »

Anyone ever measure from the center of the swingarm pivot bolt
to the center of the rear axle and make sure they are the same on both sides of the bike?

I did and had to force the right side eccentric up lots to even out the measurement!

Brad

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.