Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CB Radio Addition on a 09SERG??  (Read 2388 times)

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
CB Radio Addition on a 09SERG??
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:52:55 PM »

I have read references to the addition of the CB on an 09 SERG, but I have a couple of concerns. For those of you that have done this, please help me with these questions:

What do you use for an antenna if you added a Tour Pack? I had to use a hidden antenna in the fairing when I installed my tour pack because the relocation kit interferred with the SERG fender.

How was the head phone connection installed for the console?. Did you drill a hole in the CVO piece or replace it with another type of console?

Did the PTT addition match the existing chrome switch levers or is it a black add-on?

Thanks in advance for your help. Pictures would be really helpful.
live free and ride safe

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
Re: CB Radio Addition on a 09SERG??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:48:53 AM »

I have read references to the addition of the CB on an 09 SERG, but I have a couple of concerns. For those of you that have done this, please help me with these questions:

Gladly!

What do you use for an antenna if you added a Tour Pack? I had to use a hidden antenna in the fairing when I installed my tour pack because the relocation kit interferred with the SERG fender.

If you are running a Tour-Pak, you will need an antenna mount on the Tour-Pak. I don't believe there are any hidden antennas for CB radios. My Leather Premium Tour-Pak came with two antenna mounts, one FM and one CB. This is the same Tour-Pak that is on the CUSE (06 FLHTCUSE) & CUSE2 (FLHTCUSE).

LarryB also has a CB radio on his 09 SERG. He used a Sierra Electronics antenna multiplexer with the J&M Audio AM/FM/WB/CB shorty antenna. The Sieera multiplexer combines the CB and FM antenna leads into a single lead under the fairing.

I tried the same setup, but the SWR on my CB was >10 which risks damage to the CB. So, I'm going back to dual antennas. I'll probably go with a hidden antenna for the AM/FM/WB and the J&M shorty (which I already have) in the stock position for my CB when riding without my Tour-Pak. With the Tour-Pak, I'll run the CB antenna lead to the Tour-Pak and put a falsie shortie on the other Tour-Pak antenna mount.

How was the head phone connection installed for the console?. Did you drill a hole in the CVO piece or replace it with another type of console?

You have to order the CB Communications Kit to install the CB. This includes a replacement dash console that includes the headphone connection for the CB. I am told there is an option to run the headset connection under the seat, but I am not familiar with the details of this.

This kit also includes a new bottom half for your left hand control housing with room for the PTT switch...

Did the PTT addition match the existing chrome switch levers or is it a black add-on?

...which is back. So, you have to order a chrome switch housing for the left.

NOTE: Be sure that the dealership orders the bottom half of the chrome switch housting, not the whole assembly. They'll have to look up the part number off in the CUSE parts book to do this. If they order the entire housing, the list price is about $150. If they order the bottom half, the price is about $50. That's a savings of $50...

Thanks in advance for your help. Pictures would be really helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures at the moment and my bike is at the dealership until this weekend. Sorry 'bout that.

In any case, I hope this is helpful.

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »

Gladly!

In any case, I hope this is helpful.

This is very helpful, thanks. I have installed the CB kit on a street glide before, so it is the CVO specifics that concern me.

If you are running a Tour-Pak, you will need an antenna mount on the Tour-Pak. I don't believe there are any hidden antennas for CB radios. My Leather Premium Tour-Pak came with two antenna mounts, one FM and one CB. This is the same Tour-Pak that is on the CUSE (06 FLHTCUSE) & CUSE2 (FLHTCUSE).

LarryB also has a CB radio on his 09 SERG. He used a Sierra Electronics antenna multiplexer with the J&M Audio AM/FM/WB/CB shorty antenna. The Sieera multiplexer combines the CB and FM antenna leads into a single lead under the fairing.

I tried the same setup, but the SWR on my CB was >10 which risks damage to the CB. So, I'm going back to dual antennas. I'll probably go with a hidden antenna for the AM/FM/WB and the J&M shorty (which I already have) in the stock position for my CB when riding without my Tour-Pak. With the Tour-Pak, I'll run the CB antenna lead to the Tour-Pak and put a falsie shortie on the other Tour-Pak antenna mount.

OK - looks like I may go with two shorties to free-up some much needed space under the fairing

You have to order the CB Communications Kit to install the CB. This includes a replacement dash console that includes the headphone connection for the CB. I am told there is an option to run the headset connection under the seat, but I am not familiar with the details of this.

I suspect this is a generic console replacement, correct? To preserve the CVO trim, I'll need to run the connection under the seat or pehaps try to order the SEUG console from that parts book.

This kit also includes a new bottom half for your left hand control housing with room for the PTT switch...

...which is back. So, you have to order a chrome switch housing for the left.

NOTE: Be sure that the dealership orders the bottom half of the chrome switch housting, not the whole assembly. They'll have to look up the part number off in the CUSE parts book to do this. If they order the entire housing, the list price is about $150. If they order the bottom half, the price is about $50. That's a savings of $50...

Great - this can save me some cash. Thanks again

live free and ride safe

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:47:42 AM »

I suspect this is a generic console replacement, correct? To preserve the CVO trim, I'll need to run the connection under the seat or pehaps try to order the SEUG console from that parts book.

No, no... have them order the CVO Console from the CVO Ultra Classic.

roadkingrandy

• 09 SE Road Glide Yellow/Slate Grey

• CVO1: 09 SE RoadGlide
    • CVO2: 99 RoadKing Customized
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

No, no... have them order the CVO Console from the CVO Ultra Classic.

Ok I have just done this on my 09 SERG Yellow/Grey... I ordered a gas tank dash for an 09 SEUltra, it fit perfect and looks great looks like the CB came on the bike.. I ordered the bottom half of the SEUltra handlebar switches. I ordered the painted tour pack and put the old style rack on it, so my TBag luggage with fit on it. I have a FireStick Matchmaker AM/FM/CB dual antenna splitter (adjustable for SWR) coming and a FireStik antenna that uses a CB Antenna that is made to receive AM/FM/CB. It is adjustable for SWR and comes in lengths from 2' to 6'. I am using the Antenna relocation bracket to have a longer bracket made and chrome plated, so the antenna will stand straight up rather than point out the back of the bike like a stinger or something....(Harley does some stupid things sometimes). This bracket comes out under the cover that goes between the rear fender and the saddle bag. It should work, we'll have to see for sure, I believe it will and will post numbers and where I ordered the items from online.

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »

If you are into CB's its a great time to install one, main reason, lowest sunspot number/activity on record, means you will have no skip/interference for a few years, three I guess with the exception of Sporadic E from May to August mainly during daylight hours

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:20:15 PM »

RickC and RoadKingGrandy - thanks so much. I was raised in Knoxville, so it's always extra neat to hear from fellow Tennesseans.

I ordered the kit and the CVO parts today as suggested. Once I get the system working on the shorties, I'll start tinkering with better options, so I look forward to your updates.

Bogman, thank you also. I am not a radio enthusiast, but I like the CB option while touring. I'm not real sure what you told us, but it has to be good news.

live free and ride safe

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.