Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: venting breathers to catch can ..... need suggestions, Thanks  (Read 18472 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: venting breathers to catch can ..... need suggestions, Thanks
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 09:57:31 AM »

ok, so I did a few things attempting to find out why I got such a mess from my breathers

on my setup, see the pic in first post, those little filters on the banjo fittinigs get saturated with oil/vapor mist and then drip off, at which time the wind blows it all over the bike and rider

I put in new umbrella valves, same thing

I took out the reed valve and put in stock breather, same thing

I put in the 'Cure Vent Plus Kit' in the rocker boxes, same thing

I went to ES and back, 2600 miles in 8 days ... the bike and my Dickies were a total mess !!  Ask anyone that waz there .... :roflback::roflback:

So, I put on a catch can .... here's some pics of it
I rode the bike yesterday about 150 miles, no oil on me, or the bike !!!!!!!!  YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA

in the pics you'll see the black fuel lines, those are being replaced with chrome braided line ..... but I'm off to Atlanta this weekend and wanted this installed, so I went to the auto store and got some 1/4" fuel line ..... my guess, the chrome lines will show up this afternoon

2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 01:49:54 PM »

How close to the front header are you with the drain/vent from the front cylinder?  Looks close, but it could be the angle of the picture....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »

How close to the front header are you with the drain/vent from the front cylinder?  Looks close, but it could be the angle of the picture....

not sure exactly what part of it your asking about .... the vent hose from the front cylinder was quite close to the header .... I've zip tied it to the other line which moved it further away from the header

when I get the chrome lines I'll run both of them behind the front cylinder push rod tubes, this will insure that neither of them touch the header pipe

other than that the only other thing that touches anything is the vent line off the rear cylinder routed behind the front cylinder push rod tubes. That line touches the front cylinder ...... given  that this is fuel line, the heat from that cylinder should not be a problem for that line, even less so once I get the chrome braided line
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »

I'm wondering if if would be possible to hook it up so the vapors vented out to the filter, but the oil returned to the engine thereby elmiminating the need to empty the can. Maybe through the oil filler tube.

Does this seem feasable?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »

Mikey,

I really like your set up. Right now mine dumps unfiltered on the underside of the bike, and as you can expect it's messy as Hell. How did you secure that JAZ catch can to your down tube? I'd still like to figure out a way to run the oil right back into the engine.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

I'm wondering if if would be possible to hook it up so the vapors vented out to the filter, but the oil returned to the engine thereby elmiminating the need to empty the can. Maybe through the oil filler tube.

Does this seem feasable?

Mark

We talked about this before, I thought this might work if it didn't mess up the venting. Take off the tent line between the motor and the oil tank, cut it and splice in a tee connector, then run the top of the tee into the bottom of the puke tank. Not sure what this would do the the venting process? Also here's a picture of a location that might be a better location.

Craig

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »

craig, thats how i mounted mine
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 04:29:51 PM »

craig, thats how i mounted mine

Neil, do you get much oil in your's? See the black vent line right behind your can, that's the one I thought you might be able to tap into to route the oil back into the normal tank, but your's have to mount the puke can higher than the vent tube. If I ever develop a big problem, that's where I'll mount mine.

P.S. Met your brother Steve, on his way to the Pac GTG.

Craig

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 04:39:01 PM »

i get very little in there, i think most of mine was coming from the front head, which now has to go up and over to the back head so i think most of it is going back into the head now
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

zn14

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »

Naitram
the breather on the rear head looks to have a double outlet, 1 going to the catch can & 1 coming in from the front head,  where can I get one of those?

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »

first is my 'disclaimer'

I am not an expert in internal combustion engines, I know very little actually

here's my thinking on this

we all know that the engine breathes, and as pressure builds up in the crank case, that pressure has to be released

since the pressure is over fluid (oil) it will have oil mist in the air, also inside the engine is moisture
so what you have in the way of material that is being vented is oil droplets/mist and water vapor that condenses and becomes droplets

normally you don't see any of this because it is routed back to your intake

some bikes, for unknown reasons, have more of this material in the vented air than other bikes
for those that do, and are still stock, they experience a dripping of this material out of the bottom of their air cleaner box, and/or blown back on the side panels and the riders leg.

As you know, I've decided not to vent this back to the intake on my bike .... if you ever seen what is drained out of a catch can, you probably would not run yours back to the intake any longer either

since there is more water content in this matter than oil, I would not vent it back to the oil tank, water in your oil is not a good thing as we all know .. also I'm not sure what effects it might have on the overall operation of the engine ... somehow it doesn't seem like you'd want to vent pressure into the engine, we're already providing a way to let it out

I ran the vents to a catch can because

1) running it to a hose open to the ground leaves the matter to be blown around on the bike and still make a mess
2) catching it in a can provides me with a means to dump it when and where I want to

I used this particular catch can because
1) it has a petcock valve on it.  Flip the valve open, the can drains.... nothing on you, nothing on the bike, close the valve and be on your way.
2) it holds 1 pint of material ... so I don't expect that it will become full if I should forget to dump it every time I gas up .... if the can becomes full, the material will be expelled out the filter on the top of the can. It would make a mess, like before ... hurt nothing .... drain the can, clean the filter and the bike and Ride On .....

Is it as 'neat n clean' looking as stock .... well, no, but to me it's worth it and it's not 'ugly'  ......
If anyone really notices it, it just gives us something else to yak about   ::)

It's not for everyone, but then what is ?
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 06:17:48 PM »

Mikey,

I really like your set up.

Thanks !

Right now mine dumps unfiltered on the underside of the bike, and as you can expect it's messy as Hell.

Eggzactly why I decided to go with a catch can.  Some folks say they can run an open hose, and they don't have enough material discharged to make a mess, my bike does.

How did you secure that JAZ catch can to your down tube?

The bracket has a curve to it that fits the down tube. I put 4 zip ties around it, two on the top and two on the bottom. So far, 150 miles, it hasn't moved.  I also put electrical tape on the inside part of the bracket ... that part that touches the frame.  I hope to keep it from scratching the frame, and a little better holding power to keep the can in place.

I'd still like to figure out a way to run the oil right back into the engine.

Well, here's what I think I know about this ..... 
1) inside the rocker box, there's a oil drain hole to allow the oil to drain back down, once the pressure exits the breather bolt, nothing can be sucked back that way .... that's the function of the umbrella valve.  You don't want to suck air into the engine when the piston goes down, which creates a vacuum on the top side of the piston.  So any oil that can not, does not, make it down that drain oil gets expelled with the vented crank case pressure

2) it's really not that much oil .... it SEEMS like a lot of oil when the wind blows is all over the side of the bike.  It also has A LOT of water vapor in the expelled content, more so than oil .... this is also blown all over the side of the bike, making even a bigger mess.

3) after seeing the contents of a drained catch can, I don't want ANY of that stuff to go back into my engine

Mark

Good Luck with getting yours set up Mark !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »

i get very little in there, i think most of mine was coming from the front head, which now has to go up and over to the back head so i think most of it is going back into the head now

How can it go back into the head ??

The umbrella valves, if working properly, prevent anything from being sucked back in through the breather bolts

next time you have the top rocker box off, look at the oil drain oil, and then where the umbrella valve is located, and where the exit is for the pressure to get out the breather bolt ....... once you examine that you'll realize that nothing can come back in .......  I think   ...... maybe   :huepfenlol2:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

zn14

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 06:41:25 PM »

thanks Mikey but being a cheap a$$ what I really want is just the rear fitting cause I have the rest of the set up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.