Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: suspect bad umbrella valves - excessive oil discharge from breathers  (Read 1981 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member

Many know that since the completion of my build, the bike has excessive oil discharging from the breathers.
Lots of folks have been helping me to identify the problem - THANK YOU, ALL !!!

Woody started a thread titled:
[COLOR="Blue"]
"Mikey...the reason your engine is puking oil is..."[/COLOR]

we discussed it here:

"http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158537

During my build, when I put in the 'NEW' James Gaskets umbrella valves, I noticed they did not sit down on the floor of the rocker box.  I took a picture of it, and even made a comment about it:
(here: http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=672861&postcount=142

[COLOR="Blue"]"Then I got ready to install the middle and top rocker boxes. I replaced the umbrella valve with new ones. The new ones are from James, and sit differently in the box than the stock ones. [COLOR="Red"]This concerned me a bit because the valve does not sit down tight against the bottom of the box.[/COLOR] I concluded that the pressure in the box would force the valve down, it's 'soft'. [COLOR="Purple"]EDIT: I was a DUMBASS for making that assumption[/COLOR]
In this pic you can see the difference in the design, and why the James valve doesn't sit all the way to the bottom in the rocker box - james valve is on the left "[/COLOR]

Yesterday I called James Gaskets Co. and spoke with one of the engineers there, Ralph.  Told him the story, he went got some of their valves, and said that he could see what I was talking about. He installed the valve in a rocker box, and then told me that he about .020 clearence between the lip of the valve and the floor of the rocker box. He further told me that, this isn't right.

He told me lots of 'stuff', then said that he'd stop by HD and buy some stock HD valves and ck it out further and call me, today or Monday.

He called me this afternoon.  He said that after taking measurments and comparing the valves, that he is ordering a change in their mold that makes their valves. They clearly are not correct.

He is sending me a new James Gasket rocker box set, and two sets of HD umbrella valves, at no charge.

I asked him what I could expect to see on/from the bike if it were run with valves that don't seat, or no umbrella valves at all.  He said, with bad/no vlaves, the engine will suck outside air back into the crank, the heat of the engine, the motor oil, the outside air and the humitidy in that air will casue the oil to FOAM UP and will be expelled out thu the breathers !!!!!!!!!!!! 

I did not tell him that I had foaming, but when he said that to me, I said, EGGZACTLY WHUT I"M GETTING NOW !!!

He asked me to describe the look of it, I said, thick, slilmy, creamy golden in color .... he said, yes, sounds like you have foaming in your crank and it's coming out the breathers. And after looking at our umbrella valves, and that they don't seal on the floor of the rocker box, that's what I would expect you to see on your bike.

SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

now I get to lower the engine in the frame, take off the boxes and replace the umbrella valves.

HOWEVER,  I'm VERY HAPPY at the same time !!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]should have listened to that lil voice[/COLOR] in my head when I saw that those valves were not seated all the way down .... and [COLOR="Blue"]my lil voice said,[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]"you know, that just doesn't look right"[/COLOR]    :unsure:

(sometimes I wish that lil fuker would SPEAK THE HELL UP !!!!)  :whistling:

but what did I know ..... I had never been there before..... so, how did that lil voice know that there was something wrong    .......   :huh:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: suspect bad umbrella valves - excessive oil discharge from breathers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »

Good to know. Too bad you have to take it apart though.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: suspect bad umbrella valves - excessive oil discharge from breathers
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »

Good to know. Too bad you have to take it apart though.

Agreed, on both points !  Thanks
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.