Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dents in Heat Shield 09 SERG  (Read 1495 times)

04se103

Dents in Heat Shield 09 SERG
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »

Has anyone else noticed dents in there heat shield under the rider floorboard it looks like where the shield was put on and tightened down it dented the shield in two places.Its where the header pipe is welded together. Mine looks like crap going to call Dealer tomorrow. So before someone does this  :worthless: i tried to take a picture but it did'nt show the dents. Greg
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:57:04 PM by 04se103 »

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Dents in Heat Shield 09 SERG
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:52:48 AM »

On the right side, about 6" in front of the muffler  ?  Just notice mine today WTF.  Thought the same as you, someone overtightened the clamp or??? :nixweiss:

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:15:36 AM »

mine too....under the bsr pegs on the right side. I would complain but im gonna change the pipes
a.k.a  Dent Dude

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:21:38 AM »

Yep, I noticed mine a couple months ago. it's where the bracket for clamp is welded on the shield. I have actually caused this dent myself on other bikes from trying to persuade the shield to fit better.
But, I scored a new set of heatshields for my SERG for 20 bucs
Was at a dealer that had a 09 RG with black ones on, so I inquired. they said they had to sell them as a set,  for 20 bucs they could call them a collection.
HD has had probs with the fitment of Heat Shields for awhile. V&H does it better.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »

I may be misunderstanding you, there are dents but they should be rear the axle nut on the inside. If so they come that way from HD.  And I had this confirmed by my dealer.

The best reason we can come up with is , on some other models, they require a bit more clearence for axile nut.  We figured this out by putting the bike on a lift, that the travel of the shock stopped before coming anywhere near the nut. So installing & using mufflers that do not have the indentations is OK.  :apple:

If yours are further up under your feet and on the outside, then that ain't right.  :o
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 03:51:09 PM by jettjocky »
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

04se103

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »

I may be misunderstanding you, there are dents but they should be rear the axle nut on the inside. If so they come that way from HD.  And I had this confirmed by my dealer.

The best reason we can come up with is , on some other models, they require a bit more clearence for axile nut.  We figured this out by putting the bike on a lift, that the travel of the shock stopped before coming anywhere near the nut. So installing & using mufflers that do not have the indentations is OK.  :apple:

If yours are further up under your feet and on the outside, then that ain't right.  :o
They are on the Heat Shield not that far back here's a picture it does not show the dents
 Greg

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:36:42 AM »

Next time one of you has the heat shield off for any reason, look at where the bracket for the hose clamp is welded to the shield.  I believe you will find that the "dimple" you see on the shield lines up with the spot weld holding the bracket to the shield.  This isn't a new thing btw, I've seen it on earlier model heat shields as well as some aftermarket parts. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.