Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inexpensive forward controls, best and easiest to put on-Which ones??????  (Read 6734 times)

mark mesi

• 99 FXR-3, best ride ever

Like the post says, which are the best, easiest to put on and the least expensive???
Enjoying every minute I ride

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited

Mark, I bought the Custon Chrome wich is the same as DS, V Twin, etc.  I got em for 200.  The Kuryakn were discontinued two years ago, I was told by them.  You may find NOS on Ebay.  I'm sure they are a higher quality. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

mark mesi

So you recently put them on your FXR-4 and you like them for th most part? Do you have the correct numbers on the parts box and where you got them from? Do you have a current pic of them on your bike that you could send me? Thanks, Mark

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

I'll post pictures and part number tomorrow. 

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member

Mark, here is a set identical to the ones i have on.. matter of fact that is the same dude i bought mine from awhile ago..   (probably 5 months or so ago).
These sets are discontinued, look good and bolt on with minor exhaust mount mods.. if you really want a set I'd pick them up!  (i didn't do the poll, imo i didn't care for either set, they just look to much like stamped steel, kind of cheap looking imo)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/harley-FXR-forward-controls_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem170315431791QQitemZ170315431791QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:42:08 AM by 63SSRagtop »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

So you recently put them on your FXR-4 and you like them for th most part? Do you have the correct numbers on the parts box and where you got them from? Do you have a current pic of them on your bike that you could send me? Thanks, Mark

The part is DS-243485, there is also the same part with a V Twin number and also Custome Chrome.  I got it from J + J Power Sports directly after the E Bay auction ended.  They are 40 miles from my house and gave me a better price $200 and no shipping.  While there I bought two Dunlop tires as well for $175 total, no tax. 
Two issues:
The alignment of the footrest to the shift ped and the same on the brake side.
It was an awkward angle on both sides.  I added the 2" offset peg mounts from kuryakyn to bring the footrest up closer (I didn't need it for reach) and now in what I feel is the proper foot position on both sides.
The other issue is the peg mout in the kit is male, so you can't re use your HD pegs.  I just used the existing highway peg setup from HD. 

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

Mark, here is a set identical to the ones i have on.. matter of fact that is the same dude i bought mine from awhile ago..   (probably 5 months or so ago).
These sets are discontinued, look good and bolt on with minor exhaust mount mods.. if you really want a set I'd pick them up!  (i didn't do the poll, imo i didn't care for either set, they just look to much like stamped steel, kind of cheap looking imo)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/harley-FXR-forward-controls_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem170315431791QQitemZ170315431791QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I tried to buy those several times but the price went way up at the end.  Actually I thought the guy was bidding it up himself and them relisting.  Its good to see that he was legitamate.
The other issue I had with those is I couldn't tell if the foot rests were able to fold.  Do they?

mark mesi

Thanks for the lead on the forwards, Mark

mark mesi

The part is DS-243485, there is also the same part with a V Twin number and also Custome Chrome.  I got it from J + J Power Sports directly after the E Bay auction ended.  They are 40 miles from my house and gave me a better price $200 and no shipping.  While there I bought two Dunlop tires as well for $175 total, no tax. 
Two issues:
The alignment of the footrest to the shift ped and the same on the brake side.
It was an awkward angle on both sides.  I added the 2" offset peg mounts from kuryakyn to bring the footrest up closer (I didn't need it for reach) and now in what I feel is the proper foot position on both sides.
The other issue is the peg mout in the kit is male, so you can't re use your HD pegs.  I just used the existing highway peg setup from HD. 

Thanks for the part numbers and the heads up on the installation gliches, thanks, mark

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member

I tried to buy those several times but the price went way up at the end.  Actually I thought the guy was bidding it up himself and them relisting.  Its good to see that he was legitamate. The other issue I had with those is I couldn't tell if the foot rests were able to fold.  Do they?

Nah the foot rests don't fold up at all..  I went through an advanced riders course and they never even came close to hitting the ground on the turns.  I think im going to put the foot rest part of my mid controls back on in case i ever have to sit up on the bike.. with forwards its impossible to do...

The dude actually set off my alarm too before i committed to bids (so i emailed him a few times) &  they got sniped pretty heavily at the end (think i paid like 225 for them)...   I emailed him recently and asked him how it is he has them.. he said he had a freind with a shop that he ended up with a few more sets as well (i'm going to get another set just to have as a back up)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

Nah the foot rests don't fold up at all..  I went through an advanced riders course and they never even came close to hitting the ground on the turns.  I think im going to put the foot rest part of my mid controls back on in case i ever have to sit up on the bike.. with forwards its impossible to do...

The dude actually set off my alarm too before i committed to bids (so i emailed him a few times) &  they got sniped pretty heavily at the end (think i paid like 225 for them)...   I emailed him recently and asked him how it is he has them.. he said he had a freind with a shop that he ended up with a few more sets as well (i'm going to get another set just to have as a back up)

the last set went for over 300.

fud

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:57:40 PM by fud »

mark mesi

You might want to look at these: These look like the Kuryakyn controls that I have on my FXR that have been discontinued.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-Forward-Controls-for-FXR-Models_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130296798637QQitemZ130296798637QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Hey Fud, I have them on my watch list and I'll see how they are doing prior to bidding. Your saying that they look like the ones you have on your bike now? Do you remember the model/part number of yours when you bought them? maybe someone has a set of NOS ones laying around. thanks again, Mark

fud

Hey Fud, I have them on my watch list and I'll see how they are doing prior to bidding. Your saying that they look like the ones you have on your bike now? Do you remember the model/part number of yours when you bought them? maybe someone has a set of NOS ones laying around. thanks again, Mark

Yes, they look exactly like those on my Fxr now and I bought mine off eBay a few years ago for my 85 Fxr. They are Kuryukyn PN: 9068 which I understand have been discontinued and are the ones on my bike now. The ones in the eBay link I provided you look to be like the ones I purchased and if they are they will fit all Fxr's to 1994 and the CVO model Fxr's 1999-2000. I saw a gent riding an Fxr2 about a year ago with the Pn: 9068 on his bike a few years ago. You may also want to contact Kuryukyn and ask them about PN: 9064 which I understand are for the Fxr/Dyna's but are extended out 3" for riders with longer legs. These may be what you need if you meet this requirement. I hope you find what your looking for.

I just went and looked at those on eBay again and I am almost positive they are the Kuryukyn PN: 9068's which are the ones you would need. Like anything on eBay many times it's a crap shoot but If it were me; I'd buy them and if by chance they didn't fit then I'd sell them; but, that's me. Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:08:47 AM by fud »

mark mesi

Yes, they look exactly like those on my Fxr now and I bought mine off eBay a few years ago for my 85 Fxr. They are Kuryukyn PN: 9068 which I understand have been discontinued and are the ones on my bike now. The ones in the eBay link I provided you look to be like the ones I purchased and if they are they will fit all Fxr's to 1994 and the CVO model Fxr's 1999-2000. I saw a gent riding an Fxr2 about a year ago with the Pn: 9068 on his bike a few years ago. You may also want to contact Kuryukyn and ask them about PN: 9064 which I understand are for the Fxr/Dyna's but are extended out 3" for riders with longer legs. These may be what you need if you meet this requirement. I hope you find what your looking for.

I just went and looked at those on eBay again and I am almost positive they are the Kuryukyn PN: 9068's which are the ones you would need. Like anything on eBay many times it's a crap shoot but If it were me; I'd buy them and if by chance they didn't fit then I'd sell them; but, that's me. Good luck.

Thanks for the past model numbers and such. I will watch them as it is getting closer to ending today I think, Thanks, Mark

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 22 queries.