Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: 3-8-09 Accident  (Read 14585 times)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
3-8-09 Accident
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »

Hey Gang,
  Havent been on in a while...just thought I'd let those know who knew me from this site, that my wife and I were both hit by a lady in a car who may have blacked out and/or could not negotiate a strong curve on an easy road, crossed the double yellow line, hit the gas instead of the brake and took out me, my wife and another friend. It was a beatiful Sunday and we had 5 bikes..I was leading, my wife was staggered #2 spot and then had 3 more bikes. Long and short of it was she was coming at me head on, in the nana second that I had I swervered right just enough to not get hit head on. Next thing I remember after blacking out is my friend who was behind my wife holding my head straight and trying to keep me alert. They said after I was hit I flew 40-50 feet hit a sign and landed (fortunatly) in a soft muddy spot on the side of the road. I was flow to U of MD Shock Trauma..the car also hit my wife with the right side of her car..and bike #4 locked up her brakes after seeing the carnage and went down. My wife fractured her pelvis and tail bone and has been on a walker, is extemely sore but will have a full recovery. My other friend shattered her tibea and had it plated  and screwed and can't weight bear for 3 months before any physical therapy. I broke my left arm, left femur and crushed my foot with major trauma. They plated my arm, put a rod in my femur...had to do fasciotomies on my foot put because of compartament syndrome (need to release pressure). Prognosis on my foot is not good so far as it may not survive...and so they actually saif IF that is the case then a below the knee amputation will give me the best quality of life to get around.  My life changed for me and my family in a nanosecond because of an elderly persons negligence...it really does not matter but they accepted full liability within 3 days of the accident.
  I've only been riding for three years but did have but did have 39,000 miles under my belt and was on my 3rd bike(vstar 650, vstar 1300, SERK08)...I religeously practiced and preached safety and avoidance with all my biker friends. This lady would have run off the road anyway...we were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. I am thankful I survived..oh her car was totaled, all air bags went off, the front left part of her car was so mangled, the tire and axle broke off. Because of wearing full leathers we did not have 1 scratch on us. So at this point I do not know what my future holds in store for me...My kids (3 boys) and family have been traumatized by this incident. I loved riding and it became my passion and a major part of my life.  This forum has been so great and helpful to me as I was one of the "less mechanically inclined" members. That's it for now...I'll keep everyone posted when I know more and am sorry to have to report this bad news. Love to all.
Dean Millman (skiindean)

K-Dog

• CVO1: 2009 Softail Springer CVO Black w/emerald green
Re: 3-8-09 Accident
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »

So sorry to hear about this. I sincerely hope w/God's help everyone heals quickly. Good Luck to you, your family, and your friend. My family and I will be saying prayers for you.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »

Dean,
I am very sorry to hear about the accident that you, your wife and riding partners were involved in. I am however glad that you are here to tell us about your situation. I can not imagine how you feel right now. Keep your head up, try to keep a positive attitude and know that God has a plan for all of us and he is not done with you. The type of accident that you were involved in is probably my biggest concern when I am riding. There certainly isn't any time to react when you have an oncoming vehicle suddenly turn into your lane. I hope that you are a strong minded individual and I hope that you are able to meet the challenges ahead of you. I hope for the best for you, your wife and your friend with the recovery and physical therapy ahead.

Guikty/Ken

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »

Good to hear y'all survived. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »

I am glad to hear you and your wife survived this accident, and I hope and pray for a full recovery and that you both will be able to enjoy the quality of life you had.  This is so senseless and unexplainable and tragic. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »

Our thoughts and prayers  for you ,your family and others invloved.
I hope everyone recovers completely and soon!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »

Dean, so sorry to hear about your accident! Our prayers are with you, your wife and friend. May you all heal quickly both physically and mentally and make the decisions you need to make today and let the ones wait that can wait.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 12:38:45 AM »

Our prayers are with you, your family, and all involved in this tragic accident. This could happen to any of us. I am so sorry that you have been on the receiving end, of the unsupervised drivers on our roads today. Even after we learn

to SEE:

Search down the road ahead of us
Evaluate the conditions as we approach them
and.. Execute a plan to accommodate our evaluations

There is still that unknown when anyone... could suddenly... well..... what happened to you....

How devastating, I can't imagine what you and your wife are going through, but know our prayers and best wishes are with you. As a biker, I contemplate having something like this happen to me...

But, I can't walk in fear, and I will deal with (the best I can), what life sends my way.

As you will, my friend .....   :2vrolijk_21:

You are not alone  ;) ...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:43:40 AM by Iglide »
The impossible just takes a little longer

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 01:10:39 AM »

Dean,

Your writing speaks volumes for the person you are.  The way you are handling this is amazing.  I too am recovering from a major accident & on the final 3 weeks of my life on crutches (accident 10/17/08).  Maintaining a positive attitude is very important!

I am so sorry to read about what has happened to you and your wife.  God Bless you, your wife and your 3 boys (I have 2 boys).  I can only offer prayers of hope for you, and wisdom for the many healthcare professionals who will be helping you through this trauma.  Take your time and heal my friend.

Don

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »

Dean,
So sorry to hear about your accident very glad to hear everybody made it thru, our prayers go out to all three of you!

Don........

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:10:43 AM »

Dean I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I pray for a speedy and complete recovery. Shock-Trama is a great facility so I know you got great care. I am in the area if you need anything PM me.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:27:58 AM »

Dean,

God's love be with you and your family as we all pray for your's and your family's  recovery from this tragic incident Greg 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:47:27 AM »

Dean,

Had wondered why I hadn't seen you. I'm really sorry to hear of your families trauma. Keep your head up and I'll be praying for a speedy recovery. God Bless

Howie

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:42 AM »

Dean

Sorry for all you, your wife and friends are going through. I will pray for a speedy recovery. From your posting it sounds like your mental in the right place. Leave the rest in His hands and all will be good.

JW

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »

Dean, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.