Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: 3-8-09 Accident  (Read 14592 times)

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
3-8-09 Accident
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »

Hey Gang,
  Havent been on in a while...just thought I'd let those know who knew me from this site, that my wife and I were both hit by a lady in a car who may have blacked out and/or could not negotiate a strong curve on an easy road, crossed the double yellow line, hit the gas instead of the brake and took out me, my wife and another friend. It was a beatiful Sunday and we had 5 bikes..I was leading, my wife was staggered #2 spot and then had 3 more bikes. Long and short of it was she was coming at me head on, in the nana second that I had I swervered right just enough to not get hit head on. Next thing I remember after blacking out is my friend who was behind my wife holding my head straight and trying to keep me alert. They said after I was hit I flew 40-50 feet hit a sign and landed (fortunatly) in a soft muddy spot on the side of the road. I was flow to U of MD Shock Trauma..the car also hit my wife with the right side of her car..and bike #4 locked up her brakes after seeing the carnage and went down. My wife fractured her pelvis and tail bone and has been on a walker, is extemely sore but will have a full recovery. My other friend shattered her tibea and had it plated  and screwed and can't weight bear for 3 months before any physical therapy. I broke my left arm, left femur and crushed my foot with major trauma. They plated my arm, put a rod in my femur...had to do fasciotomies on my foot put because of compartament syndrome (need to release pressure). Prognosis on my foot is not good so far as it may not survive...and so they actually saif IF that is the case then a below the knee amputation will give me the best quality of life to get around.  My life changed for me and my family in a nanosecond because of an elderly persons negligence...it really does not matter but they accepted full liability within 3 days of the accident.
  I've only been riding for three years but did have but did have 39,000 miles under my belt and was on my 3rd bike(vstar 650, vstar 1300, SERK08)...I religeously practiced and preached safety and avoidance with all my biker friends. This lady would have run off the road anyway...we were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. I am thankful I survived..oh her car was totaled, all air bags went off, the front left part of her car was so mangled, the tire and axle broke off. Because of wearing full leathers we did not have 1 scratch on us. So at this point I do not know what my future holds in store for me...My kids (3 boys) and family have been traumatized by this incident. I loved riding and it became my passion and a major part of my life.  This forum has been so great and helpful to me as I was one of the "less mechanically inclined" members. That's it for now...I'll keep everyone posted when I know more and am sorry to have to report this bad news. Love to all.
Dean Millman (skiindean)

K-Dog

• CVO1: 2009 Softail Springer CVO Black w/emerald green
Re: 3-8-09 Accident
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »

So sorry to hear about this. I sincerely hope w/God's help everyone heals quickly. Good Luck to you, your family, and your friend. My family and I will be saying prayers for you.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »

Dean,
I am very sorry to hear about the accident that you, your wife and riding partners were involved in. I am however glad that you are here to tell us about your situation. I can not imagine how you feel right now. Keep your head up, try to keep a positive attitude and know that God has a plan for all of us and he is not done with you. The type of accident that you were involved in is probably my biggest concern when I am riding. There certainly isn't any time to react when you have an oncoming vehicle suddenly turn into your lane. I hope that you are a strong minded individual and I hope that you are able to meet the challenges ahead of you. I hope for the best for you, your wife and your friend with the recovery and physical therapy ahead.

Guikty/Ken

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »

Good to hear y'all survived. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »

I am glad to hear you and your wife survived this accident, and I hope and pray for a full recovery and that you both will be able to enjoy the quality of life you had.  This is so senseless and unexplainable and tragic. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »

Our thoughts and prayers  for you ,your family and others invloved.
I hope everyone recovers completely and soon!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »

Dean, so sorry to hear about your accident! Our prayers are with you, your wife and friend. May you all heal quickly both physically and mentally and make the decisions you need to make today and let the ones wait that can wait.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 12:38:45 AM »

Our prayers are with you, your family, and all involved in this tragic accident. This could happen to any of us. I am so sorry that you have been on the receiving end, of the unsupervised drivers on our roads today. Even after we learn

to SEE:

Search down the road ahead of us
Evaluate the conditions as we approach them
and.. Execute a plan to accommodate our evaluations

There is still that unknown when anyone... could suddenly... well..... what happened to you....

How devastating, I can't imagine what you and your wife are going through, but know our prayers and best wishes are with you. As a biker, I contemplate having something like this happen to me...

But, I can't walk in fear, and I will deal with (the best I can), what life sends my way.

As you will, my friend .....   :2vrolijk_21:

You are not alone  ;) ...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:43:40 AM by Iglide »
The impossible just takes a little longer

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 01:10:39 AM »

Dean,

Your writing speaks volumes for the person you are.  The way you are handling this is amazing.  I too am recovering from a major accident & on the final 3 weeks of my life on crutches (accident 10/17/08).  Maintaining a positive attitude is very important!

I am so sorry to read about what has happened to you and your wife.  God Bless you, your wife and your 3 boys (I have 2 boys).  I can only offer prayers of hope for you, and wisdom for the many healthcare professionals who will be helping you through this trauma.  Take your time and heal my friend.

Don

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »

Dean,
So sorry to hear about your accident very glad to hear everybody made it thru, our prayers go out to all three of you!

Don........

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:10:43 AM »

Dean I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I pray for a speedy and complete recovery. Shock-Trama is a great facility so I know you got great care. I am in the area if you need anything PM me.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:27:58 AM »

Dean,

God's love be with you and your family as we all pray for your's and your family's  recovery from this tragic incident Greg 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:47:27 AM »

Dean,

Had wondered why I hadn't seen you. I'm really sorry to hear of your families trauma. Keep your head up and I'll be praying for a speedy recovery. God Bless

Howie

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:42 AM »

Dean

Sorry for all you, your wife and friends are going through. I will pray for a speedy recovery. From your posting it sounds like your mental in the right place. Leave the rest in His hands and all will be good.

JW

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »

Dean, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »

Dean

Keeping you in our thoughts for a best case recovery.

Age of the other driver?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »

Dean,
Good to here you all are on the mend. Your positive attitude will speed your recovery.
Thoughts and prayer go out to you all.
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 01:20:29 PM »

Had noticed your absence... Sorry to learn it was due to an accident...  Best wishes towards a complete recovery!  God Bless...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »

Thank you all for your support, it means so much to me. Even though we haven't met, you all are my extended family and feel a closeness to all of you. I attached 1 picture of the car that hit us from the accident. Check out the tire and axle of the car and what side of the road it ended up on. I will keep everyone posted as to my prognosis and I promise to keep a great attitude. I will get throught this and be a stronger person for having gone through this. I am grateful to be alive and not had more serious injuries. Love to all. Dean

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »

Just found this link that our local fire department had on their website about the accident with all the pictures...they were one of the first to respond to the scene   www.chestnutridgefire.com/fullstory.php?82364   or just go to their site www.chestnutridgefire.com and look for one of the 3-8-09 articles.
Dean

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »

And she walked away - another reason for the AMA to be fighting the AARP

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »

Yup she walked away and also "refused medical treatment "after being advised by her daughter, who is a top doc at one of our local major hospitals and called on her cell at the scene while still inside the car.....sad, isn't it.  This picture also shows a good angle of the curve she screwed up on and the resulting carnage . Dean

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »

Dean I know that after seeing these pictures how bad this could have been. I am so sorry to hear about your accident and I pray for a speedy and complete recovery for all involved.

God Bless

~bubba~
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:59:39 PM by bubba »
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

charlie

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »

My prayer is that you all have a full recovery.

just-us-6

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 04:00:29 AM »

Wow, I am thankfull it wasn't worse, and you all will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery!
2009 SERG Orange - Heavy breather, catless headpipe, fullsac 2.25", Cyclerama heads, T-man 625 cams, Chrome inner primary, diamond cut heads and cylinders, Hawgwired amp and speakers, Xenon Hid headlights, Led front turn signals, passenger foot boards and pegs moved to crash bars, chopped tour pack, remote alarm, Harley radar detector, SE Pro tuner, Cee Bailey Windshield, VPC clutch, front saddlebag guards, dash oil temp gauge, led spoilers for saddlebags and tourpack, reflectors removed!

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »

jeeez that ruined a great day out, hope u guys get back on your bikes again soon.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »

Our prayers are with you guys, hope you get back on your feet soon and choose to ride again.

Craig

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »

I am very sorry to hear this Dean, what a shame..Heal well.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »

Oh man, sorry to hear about this horrible accident Dean. I wish you and your family the very best in the aftermath.
May you all have a speedy recovery and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Eveytime we throw a leg over the saddle and get on the road we do put ourselves at the mercy of the cagers.  :soapbox:

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »

Like the rest, I'm suffering w/ you. My prayers and thoughts for a speedy and complete recovery to all the wounded.

Macky54

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 12:56:51 AM »

Dean, that is just all out frightening.  It's one thing to hear about accidents like this but to actually see the pictures and be able to chat with the survivors, really puts things in perspective.  I'm not a religious man, but no question, someone was watching out for you guys that day.  Blows me away that you guys actually survived that.  It's not even something that we can learn by someone elses mistakes.  The only mistake was, wrong place wrong time.  It just sends it home to make sure we appreciate every day we're given.  Good luck on your recovery, your wifes recovery and anyone else involved.  Not everyone gets a second chance with chit like that.  Get well man.

Jeff

Ziploc

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 04:22:14 AM »

Dean, so sorry to hear about your accident.  My family and I will keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 09:06:13 AM »

Dean, sorry to hear about the accident. your attitude is outstanding and it will help you through this down time.

hope for a speedy and full recovery.

bless ya

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 11:57:14 AM »

Verry sorry to hear about this accident....my prayers are with you and your family......God bless you!!

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »

Again...thank you all for your love and support. I am now scheduled for BKA surgery tomorrow at 10:45. I hope this this will be my last surgery and will keep everyone informed. Dean

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »

My prayer go with you!

JW

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »

My prayer go with you!

JW
... and mine Dean. Keep your head up man.

Howie

strangebird

• Growing older but not up!

• CVO1: 2005 Cherry SEEG
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »

Sorry to gear about your tragedy, but like so many have said God is not done with you and I do not know your religous beliefs, but you are in God's hands and while we sometimes do not under stand the why of how did this happen to me, he has shown you his mercy, even in the storms we must still praise him.

It is easy for us to blame an elderly lady and maybe rightfullys so, but I am sure her life has been changed by this tragedy as well, she too is a victim and we do not know the pain or suffering she may be enduring, so my prayers are for your family your friends and the elderly lady,while your lives will be changed I pray for forgiveness and healing of body and mind for all that have been touched by this tragedy.

I am sure you are dealing with the issues and hurts of your situtation.

One of my favorite Christian groups is Casting Crowns, they have a song that I am reminded of every time I pass through a storm in my life, here are the words if you do not mind me posting them here, may God Bless all of you,

Praise You In This Storm" -Casting Crowns

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to you
And you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

But as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 09:10:10 PM »

Dean,

I hope your surgery went well today - and your result is as good as could be hoped for...  God Bless and best wishes in your recovery.   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 09:02:43 PM »

Just got home last night from my surgery last Friday. Feeling ok and actually see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Still have many months of healing and then prosthetic fittings and am anxious to get back on my feet (no pun intended) again. I am on a 6 week antibiotic drip twice a day. Had a nurse come by this morning to teach my wife and I how to do it.  I loved riding, really truly did..it meant everything to me and my wife. With all I've been through...and I do know it could have happened in a car, crossing the street, or anywhere...I just don't think I'll ever saddle up again. Sad...because of another persons negligence. But all in all I am doing ok and beginning to move forward. Dean

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »

I want you to know that I admire your courage.  I only hope that I could be as strong in the same position. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »

Dean,

Don't give up on riding just yet.  Get yourself down the road another 12 mos or so and see where you are.  It wasn't the riding that got you where you are.  I wish you the best in your recovery.  My grandfather lost both legs at the knees for other reasons.  You will be surprised at what you can do with some time.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »

Hey Dean,
    Though I dont really know you, I feel your pain.  My topic is why 88 yr olds shouldnt be driving.  THIS MAKES ME FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Another story of a elderly person who has changed one of our lives forever when all we are doing is out enjoying our lives doing what we love to do.  I hate to say this but every time I see an elderly person driving who I know shouldnt be I just wanna rip them out of thier cars and show them my leg and all my other scars and beat them within an inch of thier lives!!!! And let them how their own ignorance can change someone elses life.  I was a very easy going person before my accident but now I cant stand seeing elderly people driving, sorry I know this piss some people off on here but after a certain age you shouldnt be able to drive.  I feel for you and your wife,  if your in Maryland, please PM me and i will give my doctors name she has worked miracles on me.  I am walking and riding my bike again, only one year later, when other doctors wanted to remove my leg.  Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery. 

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2009, 12:10:15 AM »

HEY Gang,
   Well 6 months after they amputated my left leg,wheel chair, walker and crutches for 4 months  and I've had my prosthetic for last 3+ months. My physical therapist now has me jogging and on a stairmaster and while it is still painful and a challenge, I can go anywhere I want to independently. I do go to my support groups which are very helpful, and have developed to be a speaker at some groups. Physically I'm doing pretty good, emotionally I'm still on the mend...but coping and determined to get my life back. ........and I jumped on a bike last week and rode for a solid 3 hours, I just had to...I wasn't going to let my accident beat me. Whether or not I go back to full time riding is still up in the air, but I needed to ride again for ME....and it was effin awesome and so cool and uplifting, no fears, just rode and rode and rode. The riding was quite easy and natural for me, shifting gears was a little different but I adapted. Just thought I'd let everyone know, thank you all for your continued on line and offline prayers and support. We Ride. Dean Millman

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »

Dean glad to hear you are doing well and were able to get back on a bike. I pray for a continued speedy recovery for you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 07:45:30 AM »

Dean....I didn't see this the first time around...read the post from the beginning. What a terrible tragedy. The pics were pretty scary. So glad you're doing so well now. I suspect much of your recovery has been the great mindset you have. Keep up the good work and the positive outlook!!! You CAN do anything you put your mind to! I hope your wife is doing as well as you.

Amazed that you even got on a bike again. That's fantastic :2vrolijk_21: There's nothing like riding. I know what you mean when you say it's a big part of your life. My boyfriend and I ride every chance we get.

Take care and keep us updated on your continuing progress! Melanie

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2009, 08:22:03 AM »

Congrats Dean ... it's quite a feat to set ones apprehension aside and conquer what could keep some down. Sitting here smiling ear to ear man. Hope to read your in the wind again in the near future. God Bless!!!

Howie

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »

Way to go Dean. It's how we handle our fears that's the measure of a man (or woman).

JW

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »

Dean,
Glad to hear you are doing so well!
Keep up the good work. Hope to see you on the road.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 09:14:56 AM »

Fantastic milestone of getting back on your ride!!  Congratulations!  I am glad you are determined to put your life changing accident behind you.... :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 09:34:50 AM »

We Ride.

One of the best things ever written here.  Dean, you're efforts are uplifting.  May the progress continue in all areas.  Good ride.

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »

dean i know what u r going through i was in a accident back in 1985 and lost my left leg below the knee it took me 23 years to ride again , i can honestly say that thier is nothing u cant do once u set your mind to it... they harder it seems makes the fight better... dont let anyone tell u what u can and cant do ...only u know that... and do what is best for dean and his family... dont change who dean was or is be yourself... my prayers are with u :2vrolijk_21:

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »

This is some humbling stuff; thank you for sharing your experience.

Back around 1983 I had the privilege of meeting a guy named Ed Homer. Ed was a flight instructor at a small municipal airport and would occasionally fly a few loads of jumpers when we were hard-up and in desperate need of a pilot.

When we first met Ed, he joined us in the bar after the last load, and soon we were fully engaged with our skydiving stories”; typically beginning with “No s__t, there I was, thought I was going to die.” After a while Ed began to tell the story about losing both of his feet; it was an amazing story.

Ed shuttled Alaskan Mountain Climbers in a Cessna 185. As I recall his story, he was flying a plane full of non-climbers, including an in-law or other relative, through a notorious mountain pass and was caught in a severe downdraft. Ed said the aircraft was descending beyond the limit of the vertical speed indicator, with the throttle wide open. The 185 ended up crashing into the side of a mountain.

Most, if not all passengers survived the initial crash, but shortly afterwards the ceiling came down and the weather turned bad. The weather prevented an air rescue and eventually climbers were dispatched to rescue the survivors. Ed told the story of being able to hear a chopper, but the wind and poor visibility prevented a rescue.

Ed said that they didn’t have enough survival gear for everyone in the aircraft and one of the survivors had to use the engine cover as a sleeping bag. It was a number of days before rescue, and as I remember the story, one or more persons died while waiting for rescue. Ed told the story of one person’s passing that was not detected, and the body was frozen into the bag by the time it was discovered. I recall Ed talking about realizing that he would lose his feet to frostbite, and of his efforts to protect his hands.

Ed said “After that experience, I looked at the World through the bottom of a beer bottle for a long time.”  He was also quite bummed out about not being able to fly a tail dragger anymore; tricycle gear was OK, though. When he finished his story, he pulled off both of his prosthetic feet, set them on the table and we talked for another hour about his experience with his new feet. Ed walked well enough that you wouldn’t know he had prosthetic feet to watch him.

The next day we duct taped his feet to his legs and took him out for a Tandem Skydive; it was a hoot. More than 15 years later I learned that Ed became a Captain for American Airlines. Ed made National news with his efforts to become the first double amputee to climb Everest. Ed was tragically killed while preparing for his Everest challenge.

Ed was just a regular guy, but an inspiration to anyone that met him. I hope you are able to remain inspired to press on through this personal challenge; it sounds like you are off to a great start. I wish you; your family and the others involved all the best. Good luck, Dean. - djkak

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »

Dean, just read the whole thread and it appears you are in the middle of an amazing life story. I admire the way you are handling your recovery and reinforce the positive thoughts on your willingness to ride again!

My dad was hit riding double on a bike when he was 11 and spent the rest of his life on crutches and in a wheel chair. He worked 3 jobs and put himself through college and law school. He became a major force in the midwest in implementing laws for handicap parking, handicap access to buildings and redoing curbing at corners so that utilizing sidewalks would be possible for those in wheelchairs and other modes of transportation. He had one of the first "Autostart" devices in the US back in 1971, drove over 900,000 accident free miles with hand controls, fathered 7 kids in 6 tries (twins) as he used to brag and went on to serve in the State Legislature. He never let his limitations get in the way of what he wanted to accomplish. He passed in 2001 and remains one of my heroes.

You sound like that kind of guy.

It wasn't 'til the later portion of his life that many of the amazing prosthetics and automated devices that help make life a bit more manageable came to be. The new tools are very useful but the major difference between those who lead happy lives and those who never get over the hills remains the attitude of the individual facing the challenges.

You will be in our prayers as you continue your recovery. You have the drive and dedication to overcome the obstacles before you. Getting back on a bike proves that in spades! Please keep your online family in the loop as you continue to knock down barriers and build a great life.

Look forward to riding with you someday!

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »

Hey gang, I just checked my last post here was about 3 years ago when I jumped back on a bike after my fender bender in march of 09 http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4934;sa=showPosts  in the  CVO Social / Rider Down / Re: 3-8-09 Accident  thread. After seeing if I was able to physically ride again, demo'ing and borrowed bikes for a year I did finally buy another bike in March of 2011, a fat boy low and have 14k on it. Only mod I needed was for the kickstand because I can't "make it" with a prosthetic leg. Here's what my dealer moded for me    . Been having a blast riding year round again. Now I've got my eyes set on a SG with a Fatbaggers Drop Seat Kit to get me to the seat height I "need" to be and enjoy the ride of a touring bike again. I had just received an email reply from a 4 year old post of mine and thought I'd do some "splainin" and say hey to everyone I used to banter with.  Dean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »

Had missed this thread and your story when it was new.  Sorry man.  Heluva read and heluva story.  I'm selfish enough to be glad I saw today first before going back and seeing the beginning.  Be well sir.  Enjoy the ride and have a damn good time.  That kickstand mod is cool :2vrolijk_21: .

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:51 PM »

Hey gang, I just checked my last post here was about 3 years ago when I jumped back on a bike after my fender bender in march of 09 http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4934;sa=showPosts  in the  CVO Social / Rider Down / Re: 3-8-09 Accident  thread. After seeing if I was able to physically ride again, demo'ing and borrowed bikes for a year I did finally buy another bike in March of 2011, a fat boy low and have 14k on it. Only mod I needed was for the kickstand because I can't "make it" with a prosthetic leg. Here's what my dealer moded for me    . Been having a blast riding year round again. Now I've got my eyes set on a SG with a Fatbaggers Drop Seat Kit to get me to the seat height I "need" to be and enjoy the ride of a touring bike again. I had just received an email reply from a 4 year old post of mine and thought I'd do some "splainin" and say hey to everyone I used to banter with.  Dean
New to the forum and just wanted to say congrats on getting back in the saddle you rock man! Best of luck and keep the rubber to the road.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »

after my fender bender in march of 09 http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4934;sa=showPosts  in the  CVO Social / Rider Down / Re: 3-8-09 Accident  thread.

fender bender?  holy crap dude, i'd hate to see what you would call a 'bad' collision  :o

congrats on getting back on track with your life, and on the bike, hope you're able to get what you're looking for.

whatever happened to the old lady?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »

The old lady is still on the road. I did everything I could possibly do to get her license taken away. The state cited and found her guilty with reckless driving, negligent driving and crossing the double yellow. Maryland law only gives the person the highest point value from only one citation, not the sum total...and so she got the 5 or 6 points, not enough to legally prevent her from driving. Continuing to ride has been great therapy along with speaking to other victims of negligent drivers at amputee supports groups throughout the state. We met the woman at a settlement conference with a no holds back open conversation. I found out that she drives mostly on cruise control, because of being severely arthritic, which explains why there were no skid marks. She looked down to release the cc tab, legs weren't strong enough to hit the brake to release it while rounding the curve. She hit the accelerate tab, looked up and that's all she wrote ....heard two loud sounds of metal crashing (me and then my wife's bike) followed by 4 airbags in her car going off as she plowed through us and onto our shoulder of the road. Cruise control on a 40 mph road , found guilty of all charges, admittedly can't use her brakes very well if at all, and our MVA said she's fit to stay on our roads. She was driving a new car, totaled it in the accident, then buys a new car 3 days later while my wife and I were in shock trauma. That's how things ended up. I wasn't gonna let it beat me as I continue to enjoy my passion for riding with a left leg prosthesis. My wife decided to never get back on a bike, and I completely respect her for that. It's different for everyone. That's the rest of my story and I'm sticking to it :) Dean

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »

Dean, I read your story and all I can say is "you are an inspiration to all riders".  I also had a nasty MC wreck in June 2011.  Broke my back in three places and lost part of my right leg.  I was laid up on the couch recovering when I found this forum.  I have met so many great people and shared so many great story's like yours that I truly believe this forum contributed to my recovery.  I also ride again like you do.  Some people think I'm crazy to get back on a MC after the accident but like you, I want to stop when it is my decision and not someone else taking it away from me.  

Keep your spirits high.., ride in the wind and God willing maybe we will meet on the road someday.

~Judy
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »

Dean, I read your story and all I can say is "you are an inspiration to all riders".  I also had a nasty MC wreck in June 2011.  Broke my back in three places and lost part of my right leg.  I was laid up on the couch recovering when I found this forum.  I have met so many great people and shared so many great story's like yours that I truly believe this forum contributed to my recovery.  I also ride again like you do.  Some people think I'm crazy to get back on a MC after the accident but like you, I want to stop when it is my decision and not someone else taking it away from me.  

Keep your spirits high.., ride in the wind and God willing maybe we will meet on the road someday.

~Judy
WOW! Being a recent new member I did not know about your accident. You are all truly an inspiration. I hope I never have to find out but I bet you I, too, would ride on!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

mdduce

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »

Hey,so sorry to read about so many people down!I had a 180 lb doe try to jump me and bike well she cleared bike but not me,ouch don't even began to do the job.I was in Vanderbuilt 43 days 22 were spent critical care unit the rest closed head injury ,doing pretty good I guess for what I went through could be dead,lost 80% use right arm and bout 40% of my left but hey I was left handed so thats a plus a big plus.The thing that saved my life was a full face helmet a real good one the first thing that hit the ground was face shield and top then the jaw area, I slid 105'on my face and elbows it almost cut all the way through the shield,to close for comfort then laid beside road about an hour till park ranger found me.He let me know I kilt the deer,so guess I won after all,please be careful it was 10:30 in the morn.August the 2nd.just had my last operation,I one of the lucky one's so lets pray for all a safe ride every time out!

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:30 PM »

Hey,so sorry to read about so many people down!I had a 180 lb doe try to jump me and bike well she cleared bike but not me,ouch don't even began to do the job.I was in Vanderbuilt 43 days 22 were spent critical care unit the rest closed head injury ,doing pretty good I guess for what I went through could be dead,lost 80% use right arm and bout 40% of my left but hey I was left handed so thats a plus a big plus.The thing that saved my life was a full face helmet a real good one the first thing that hit the ground was face shield and top then the jaw area, I slid 105'on my face and elbows it almost cut all the way through the shield,to close for comfort then laid beside road about an hour till park ranger found me.He let me know I kilt the deer,so guess I won after all,please be careful it was 10:30 in the morn.August the 2nd.just had my last operation,I one of the lucky one's so lets pray for all a safe ride every time out!

So sorry to hear about your accident but happy to know that you are recovering.  I also wear a helmet.  I know that there are pro's and con's when it comes to people's opinions but it saved my life.  I will keep you in my prayers. 
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 21 queries.