Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: 3-8-09 Accident  (Read 14626 times)

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: 3-8-09 Accident
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 07:45:30 AM »

Dean....I didn't see this the first time around...read the post from the beginning. What a terrible tragedy. The pics were pretty scary. So glad you're doing so well now. I suspect much of your recovery has been the great mindset you have. Keep up the good work and the positive outlook!!! You CAN do anything you put your mind to! I hope your wife is doing as well as you.

Amazed that you even got on a bike again. That's fantastic :2vrolijk_21: There's nothing like riding. I know what you mean when you say it's a big part of your life. My boyfriend and I ride every chance we get.

Take care and keep us updated on your continuing progress! Melanie

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2009, 08:22:03 AM »

Congrats Dean ... it's quite a feat to set ones apprehension aside and conquer what could keep some down. Sitting here smiling ear to ear man. Hope to read your in the wind again in the near future. God Bless!!!

Howie

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »

Way to go Dean. It's how we handle our fears that's the measure of a man (or woman).

JW

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »

Dean,
Glad to hear you are doing so well!
Keep up the good work. Hope to see you on the road.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 09:14:56 AM »

Fantastic milestone of getting back on your ride!!  Congratulations!  I am glad you are determined to put your life changing accident behind you.... :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 09:34:50 AM »

We Ride.

One of the best things ever written here.  Dean, you're efforts are uplifting.  May the progress continue in all areas.  Good ride.

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »

dean i know what u r going through i was in a accident back in 1985 and lost my left leg below the knee it took me 23 years to ride again , i can honestly say that thier is nothing u cant do once u set your mind to it... they harder it seems makes the fight better... dont let anyone tell u what u can and cant do ...only u know that... and do what is best for dean and his family... dont change who dean was or is be yourself... my prayers are with u :2vrolijk_21:

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »

This is some humbling stuff; thank you for sharing your experience.

Back around 1983 I had the privilege of meeting a guy named Ed Homer. Ed was a flight instructor at a small municipal airport and would occasionally fly a few loads of jumpers when we were hard-up and in desperate need of a pilot.

When we first met Ed, he joined us in the bar after the last load, and soon we were fully engaged with our skydiving stories”; typically beginning with “No s__t, there I was, thought I was going to die.” After a while Ed began to tell the story about losing both of his feet; it was an amazing story.

Ed shuttled Alaskan Mountain Climbers in a Cessna 185. As I recall his story, he was flying a plane full of non-climbers, including an in-law or other relative, through a notorious mountain pass and was caught in a severe downdraft. Ed said the aircraft was descending beyond the limit of the vertical speed indicator, with the throttle wide open. The 185 ended up crashing into the side of a mountain.

Most, if not all passengers survived the initial crash, but shortly afterwards the ceiling came down and the weather turned bad. The weather prevented an air rescue and eventually climbers were dispatched to rescue the survivors. Ed told the story of being able to hear a chopper, but the wind and poor visibility prevented a rescue.

Ed said that they didn’t have enough survival gear for everyone in the aircraft and one of the survivors had to use the engine cover as a sleeping bag. It was a number of days before rescue, and as I remember the story, one or more persons died while waiting for rescue. Ed told the story of one person’s passing that was not detected, and the body was frozen into the bag by the time it was discovered. I recall Ed talking about realizing that he would lose his feet to frostbite, and of his efforts to protect his hands.

Ed said “After that experience, I looked at the World through the bottom of a beer bottle for a long time.”  He was also quite bummed out about not being able to fly a tail dragger anymore; tricycle gear was OK, though. When he finished his story, he pulled off both of his prosthetic feet, set them on the table and we talked for another hour about his experience with his new feet. Ed walked well enough that you wouldn’t know he had prosthetic feet to watch him.

The next day we duct taped his feet to his legs and took him out for a Tandem Skydive; it was a hoot. More than 15 years later I learned that Ed became a Captain for American Airlines. Ed made National news with his efforts to become the first double amputee to climb Everest. Ed was tragically killed while preparing for his Everest challenge.

Ed was just a regular guy, but an inspiration to anyone that met him. I hope you are able to remain inspired to press on through this personal challenge; it sounds like you are off to a great start. I wish you; your family and the others involved all the best. Good luck, Dean. - djkak

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »

Dean, just read the whole thread and it appears you are in the middle of an amazing life story. I admire the way you are handling your recovery and reinforce the positive thoughts on your willingness to ride again!

My dad was hit riding double on a bike when he was 11 and spent the rest of his life on crutches and in a wheel chair. He worked 3 jobs and put himself through college and law school. He became a major force in the midwest in implementing laws for handicap parking, handicap access to buildings and redoing curbing at corners so that utilizing sidewalks would be possible for those in wheelchairs and other modes of transportation. He had one of the first "Autostart" devices in the US back in 1971, drove over 900,000 accident free miles with hand controls, fathered 7 kids in 6 tries (twins) as he used to brag and went on to serve in the State Legislature. He never let his limitations get in the way of what he wanted to accomplish. He passed in 2001 and remains one of my heroes.

You sound like that kind of guy.

It wasn't 'til the later portion of his life that many of the amazing prosthetics and automated devices that help make life a bit more manageable came to be. The new tools are very useful but the major difference between those who lead happy lives and those who never get over the hills remains the attitude of the individual facing the challenges.

You will be in our prayers as you continue your recovery. You have the drive and dedication to overcome the obstacles before you. Getting back on a bike proves that in spades! Please keep your online family in the loop as you continue to knock down barriers and build a great life.

Look forward to riding with you someday!

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »

Hey gang, I just checked my last post here was about 3 years ago when I jumped back on a bike after my fender bender in march of 09 http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4934;sa=showPosts  in the  CVO Social / Rider Down / Re: 3-8-09 Accident  thread. After seeing if I was able to physically ride again, demo'ing and borrowed bikes for a year I did finally buy another bike in March of 2011, a fat boy low and have 14k on it. Only mod I needed was for the kickstand because I can't "make it" with a prosthetic leg. Here's what my dealer moded for me    . Been having a blast riding year round again. Now I've got my eyes set on a SG with a Fatbaggers Drop Seat Kit to get me to the seat height I "need" to be and enjoy the ride of a touring bike again. I had just received an email reply from a 4 year old post of mine and thought I'd do some "splainin" and say hey to everyone I used to banter with.  Dean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »

Had missed this thread and your story when it was new.  Sorry man.  Heluva read and heluva story.  I'm selfish enough to be glad I saw today first before going back and seeing the beginning.  Be well sir.  Enjoy the ride and have a damn good time.  That kickstand mod is cool :2vrolijk_21: .

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:51 PM »

Hey gang, I just checked my last post here was about 3 years ago when I jumped back on a bike after my fender bender in march of 09 http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4934;sa=showPosts  in the  CVO Social / Rider Down / Re: 3-8-09 Accident  thread. After seeing if I was able to physically ride again, demo'ing and borrowed bikes for a year I did finally buy another bike in March of 2011, a fat boy low and have 14k on it. Only mod I needed was for the kickstand because I can't "make it" with a prosthetic leg. Here's what my dealer moded for me    . Been having a blast riding year round again. Now I've got my eyes set on a SG with a Fatbaggers Drop Seat Kit to get me to the seat height I "need" to be and enjoy the ride of a touring bike again. I had just received an email reply from a 4 year old post of mine and thought I'd do some "splainin" and say hey to everyone I used to banter with.  Dean
New to the forum and just wanted to say congrats on getting back in the saddle you rock man! Best of luck and keep the rubber to the road.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »

after my fender bender in march of 09 http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4934;sa=showPosts  in the  CVO Social / Rider Down / Re: 3-8-09 Accident  thread.

fender bender?  holy crap dude, i'd hate to see what you would call a 'bad' collision  :o

congrats on getting back on track with your life, and on the bike, hope you're able to get what you're looking for.

whatever happened to the old lady?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »

The old lady is still on the road. I did everything I could possibly do to get her license taken away. The state cited and found her guilty with reckless driving, negligent driving and crossing the double yellow. Maryland law only gives the person the highest point value from only one citation, not the sum total...and so she got the 5 or 6 points, not enough to legally prevent her from driving. Continuing to ride has been great therapy along with speaking to other victims of negligent drivers at amputee supports groups throughout the state. We met the woman at a settlement conference with a no holds back open conversation. I found out that she drives mostly on cruise control, because of being severely arthritic, which explains why there were no skid marks. She looked down to release the cc tab, legs weren't strong enough to hit the brake to release it while rounding the curve. She hit the accelerate tab, looked up and that's all she wrote ....heard two loud sounds of metal crashing (me and then my wife's bike) followed by 4 airbags in her car going off as she plowed through us and onto our shoulder of the road. Cruise control on a 40 mph road , found guilty of all charges, admittedly can't use her brakes very well if at all, and our MVA said she's fit to stay on our roads. She was driving a new car, totaled it in the accident, then buys a new car 3 days later while my wife and I were in shock trauma. That's how things ended up. I wasn't gonna let it beat me as I continue to enjoy my passion for riding with a left leg prosthesis. My wife decided to never get back on a bike, and I completely respect her for that. It's different for everyone. That's the rest of my story and I'm sticking to it :) Dean

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.