Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grey Denim paint. Should I clear coat it?  (Read 2563 times)

Spikesmith01

• CVO1: Just traded my 2008 Sportster for a 2009 CVO Fat Bob.
Grey Denim paint. Should I clear coat it?
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:30:04 AM »

I just bought my new CVO FAT BOB and like the grey and blue paint. I had to store it outside with the HD Rain cover on it. It was a windy day and the cover rubbed the paint just slightly. No one would really notice, but I do.
I know that I need to keep it stored in a garage rather than a cover. I should be able to do that this summer.

My question is: Should I have a paint shop clear coat the grey? I know it would be shiney, but more durable. What do you guys think about that???? Not sure if its a good idea or not. Please let me know.

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
Re: Grey Denim paint. Should I clear coat it?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »

I'd have to say it would be fairly expensive to remove the tank & fenders then get them cleared.
There's got to be some other options.   :nixweiss:

just my opinion tho...
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

RYANCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 O/B SE ROADGLIDE
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »

all the denim (flat) paints now have the clear in them. its not really clear but is all the uv protection of it. clearing it would totally change color. would no longer be flat. if u still decide to, be carefull, some clears only work with the paint systems it was designed for.

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »

I hate the whole range of the flat colours they look half finished please clearcoat them all
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »

I hate the whole range of the flat colours they look half finished please clearcoat them all

:2vrolijk_21:

Flat looks fine on a woodstove or a barbecue grill, but it sucks on vehicles.  BTW, if you get a little spot on your shiny paint, or a little dirt in the paint from the factory, you can sand and buff it out with a little polish.  What do you do with the flat colors, since polishing will leave shiny spots?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »

The Blue/Grey SE looks good. I like it okay but it's not my favorite. I can tell you right now that I think clearing the grey ( you will actually have to reclear it all ) would look great! I would do it in a heart beat. I've already thought of this and I know I would do it. I'm thinking $500 to $700 from someone used to painting bikes. Auto painter would be much higher I believe. BTW, if you want to know what it would look like, just pour some water over it. That will make the grey shinny for a moment giving you a good idea of what to expect.
   Gary

Spikesmith01

• CVO1: Just traded my 2008 Sportster for a 2009 CVO Fat Bob.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 06:59:10 PM »

I'm debating about it. I think it would be a good idea. It should be only a few hundred dollars to do. Or I could wait a year or 2 and if it looks bad I could paint the whole thing. I think that is about $2,000 to do. I was just thinking the clear coat would be a cheap way to not have to worry about the denim anymore.
Thanks for the input.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.