Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Pinging  (Read 1587 times)

highwayking

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHTCUSE2 - Red
Engine Pinging
« on: April 18, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »

Went on a trip this weekend through the North Georgia and Western North Carolina mountains.  We rode up on Friday and back to Charlotte on Saturday.  Going up the bike performed well with no issues.  Coming back home on Highway 64 through Franklin and Highlands my engine started pinging whenever I throttled up climbing the steep grades.  It even pinged some on level surfaces.  Saturday morning I filled up with premium gas at an off brand station outside of Helen, Ga. and it was 10 percent ethenol. The pump said it was 93 octane.  Could this have been the problem, or could the altitude have something to do with the pinging, or a combination of both?  I'm thinking it was the gasoline, because I didn't have the problem the day before when we went up to Helen.  Any comments would be appreciated?  As my profile indicates I ride a 2007 FLHTCUSE2.

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: Engine Pinging
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »

Stock engine and pipes? ever noticed it before ? 

probably was bad gas- could have been that they were low on premium, they were near the bottom of their tanks, maybe old gas filter on the pump ect,

keep an ear on it after your next fill up
2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

2006 Custom Bobber Hardtail
80" Super Stock Evo
SS heads, SS 561 cam, Super G carb, TD aircleaner
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

highwayking

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHTCUSE2 - Red
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »

Yes, my bike is completely stock.  BTW, after I got out of the mountains and refilled the tank in Shelby, NC the pinging all but stopped in normal riding.  I did notice some pinging, though, when I reved it up to get into traffic on I-485.  Never did go over 4,000 rpm though.  Is pinging something that can cause engine damage?  Obviously, I'm not talking about hotroding, just normal driving.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:30:50 AM »

A stock motor should not ping! It may have been bad gas and should go away with a fresh tank of premium fuel. Be mindful not to lug the motor at low RPMs, downshift to keep it spinning above 2k when loading it. If the pinging persists, get it to a reputable mechanic ASAP. It is a condition that can quickly destroy a motor. It's a very short trip from ping to boom!
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »

That has been a complaint on mine from day one! So bad they replaced the ECM 2 times, still pings. Stage one race download, air filter and SE mufflers. Have to keep the rpm in the 3500 or higher range, rarely see 5th gear. In their "Politically Correct" way the MOCO calls it something like "Upper engine harmonic vibration" ?? Never matters what fuel is in it. Even carried 103 Octane booster on many trips, still pings! The only complaint I have still.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:33:25 AM »

My guess is that you paid for premium, got regular. I tour a lot and run into this often, since at times the bandit off-brand dealers are your only choice. I carry a few cans of octane boost and usually that works. Of course our too hot, too lean engines sure don't help the situation. HDFR120 is right ping = boom. A tune, done properly is the only solution to pinging, assuming there are no other mechanical issues (air leak, bad O2 sensor, MAP sensor etc.).
Tom P.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »

Your correct! Have had intake leaks repaired, MAP sensor replaced, no 02 sensor on the '06 bike. Believe me, the dealer ( Antelope Valley ) has done everything possible under warranty to stop this damn pinging short of a race tuner. I just don't like having to spend a thousand dollars to make a $40k bike rideable?

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »

HK, it's funny you say the problem occurred in North GA. I had a very similar thing happen on several occasions. Riding 2 up and loaded w/ gear, coming down the mountain into Blairsville, my bike would ping and then actually stall. It has happened more than once on that same road. I think altitude played a role. (Damn Georgia air  :D)

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »

Went on a trip this weekend through the North Georgia and Western North Carolina mountains.  We rode up on Friday and back to Charlotte on Saturday.  Going up the bike performed well with no issues.  Coming back home on Highway 64 through Franklin and Highlands my engine started pinging whenever I throttled up climbing the steep grades.  It even pinged some on level surfaces.  Saturday morning I filled up with premium gas at an off brand station outside of Helen, Ga. and it was 10 percent ethenol. The pump said it was 93 octane.  Could this have been the problem, or could the altitude have something to do with the pinging, or a combination of both?  I'm thinking it was the gasoline, because I didn't have the problem the day before when we went up to Helen.  Any comments would be appreciated?  As my profile indicates I ride a 2007 FLHTCUSE2.

Do you have PC or SERT on your bike, I would bet that if the A/F was where it should be compared to where it is from MOCO your pinging would go away.  It will harm the engine, especially cast stock pistons,/  Blows small chucks out of the surface ending in a hole in the piston, or a crack.  If the motor is getting hotter then normal from the altitude  and climbing hills two up and loaded it will be more pron to pinging.
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.