Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: gettin' ready for tire battle  (Read 2563 times)

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: gettin' ready for tire battle
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »

I talked with my dealer yesterday and he is going to replace my front tire, but........
He says he can't get anything out of harley about the tires except that they are mounting them backwards on the new bikes. He told me that some of their 09s were mounted backwards. We went out on the showroom and looked at several new 09s and I didn't see any mounted backwards. I emailed Dunlop and asked about this. Their reply to me was never intentionally mount a motorcycle tire the wrong direction on a rim. who do you believe? Has anyone heard of this practice before? I am thinking before I let the dealer mount the tire backwards, he is going to have to show me a bulletin from Harley stating this. I'm not a tire engineer and don't know if the construction of the tire will let a person do this safely. Riding season is moving into this area so I hope to get something worked out.   
Keep your knees to the breeze

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »

I talked with my dealer yesterday and he is going to replace my front tire, but........
He says he can't get anything out of harley about the tires except that they are mounting them backwards on the new bikes. He told me that some of their 09s were mounted backwards. We went out on the showroom and looked at several new 09s and I didn't see any mounted backwards. I emailed Dunlop and asked about this. Their reply to me was never intentionally mount a motorcycle tire the wrong direction on a rim. who do you believe? Has anyone heard of this practice before? I am thinking before I let the dealer mount the tire backwards, he is going to have to show me a bulletin from Harley stating this. I'm not a tire engineer and don't know if the construction of the tire will let a person do this safely. Riding season is moving into this area so I hope to get something worked out.   

Regarding the ’09 bias ply equipped tourers; Dunlop superseded the front tire with a new design that has the V-pattern of the tread facing in the opposite direction. These tires are NOT mounted backwards, although they appear to be. The early V-pattern points in the direction of rotation, the late points against the rotation. Dunlop’s response to never intentionally mount a motorcycle tire in the wrong direction on a rim is a great piece of advice.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »

I've got the same thing going on with my front tire. :(
RETIRED! :fireman:

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 01:12:45 AM »

I had to complain about my tires quite a bit before my dealer would do anything. To be honest, my service guy had called Harley several times on this issue before he got an answer too. I am not sure if Harley is actually doing anything or if my dealer is doing it on his own. I figured $30K for a bike, someone should try to make me happy. I only hope with the new tire (I will mention about the new design) I get better milage and don't end up the same place in another 7,000 miles. Maybe by then there will be more choices.
Keep your knees to the breeze

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 02:16:01 AM »

Mine is starting to cup at 4800 miles (front).  I'm going to see what happens when I show it to the dealer this week.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.