Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with my FXR3..  (Read 3414 times)

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
Need help with my FXR3..
« on: April 25, 2009, 01:11:12 AM »

Fired up and ran on down the road like it does every other day, made a quick stop let it site for about 10 mins come out, it fires off no problem but i hear it hesitate a tad as i start to engage.. that weird, i check the enrichener to make sure its not out and its not, then 20 feet letter it starts stumbling very bad then dies...    I was able to get it started briefly at wot for just a few seconds and since then nothing, it just cranks and wont fire over...

I put on new plugs hoping that was the issue, didn't fix it.. it looks like i'm gettin spark but my buddy thinks the spark might be a little weak..
I've pulled the coil and check primary and secondary and they are fine.. the books calls for checking the cam position sensor and i cant seem to get 12 volts off it  (but for the life of me the book seems to indicate checking the connector from the actual cam sensor side, how in the world can it have 12 volts coming off there if i've got the harness apart), So i checked both side and am not get twelve volts.. it then says to check all the connections (pos and neg) for the ignition which i did, still no joy..

We've verified it is getting gas by a visual through the carb..

Can someone throw some ideals at me to get this fixed? I'm going to keep reading through the book..

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Need help with my FXR3..
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »

Got her fixed! I can't believe i didn't catch on this right away.. it turns out that the vacuum line popped off directly behind the carb.. it looked like it was on the whole time..  I kicked the bike over with starting fluid, then squirted fuel down the carb and it ran so we started looking at the fuel delivery...

Pulled the line off the back of the petcock (has the vacuum diaphram one) and sucked hard (i'll never admit it again) and it fired right up... wth??  Started jiggling the line and noticed it wasn't actually connected to the carb!

I'm totally pissed that it was something so simple but to be fair i'm relieved at the same time that is WAS something so simple!  So much for using the book to troubleshoot the problem, it doesn't mention vacuum once!

Note to self, check vacuum before full on electrical checks..

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »

Another note to self: Replace vacuum petcock with Pingle.  More chrome, never have to wonder if it's getting fuel (or the embarassment of having to suck your own petcock...), and I found easier starting if it had been sitting for a while.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »

Another note to self: Replace vacuum petcock with Pingle.  More chrome, never have to wonder if it's getting fuel (or the embarassment of having to suck your own petcock...), and I found easier starting if it had been sitting for a while.
OMG... this could go to the gutter so quick. :shocked2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 11:53:33 AM »

and sucked hard (i'll never admit it again)

hehehe yeah i had to tone mine down a bit, Gecko just threw it under the bus.. lol.. 

I thought about replacing the petcock but heck now that i know what is i can probably save the 100 bucks for gas money.. :)

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.