Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: LOST MY GOOD FRIEND YESTERDAY  (Read 4075 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
LOST MY GOOD FRIEND YESTERDAY
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:44:24 PM »

I'm still in shock...

Hawaii is a small place, and this incident really hits home.

My good friend of 25+ years was killed yesterday, by a tourist, who decided to make a U-turn... from the right lane into the oncoming path of 5 motorcycles in the adjacent left lane.

My friend was the lead rider and hit the Mini-Van HARD.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090427/NEWS06/904270353

1 killed in crash on Kailua Road
Read comments (46)Recommend (8)Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us
 Facebook
 Digg
 Reddit
 Newsvine
 Buzz up!Twitter

By Michael Tsai
Advertiser Staff Writer

One motorcyclist was killed and another critically injured yesterday afternoon when their motorcycles struck a rental van on Kailua Road, forcing the closure of the main road into Kailua during a sunny Sunday afternoon.

According to the Honolulu Police Department's Traffic Division, the maroon Chevrolet van, driven by a Japanese national, was traveling north in the right lane of Kailua Road, near Ulu'oa Street, when it turned into the left lane — occupied by the motorcyclists — to reach a grassy median used for U-turns.

The two motorcyclists, who were in group with three other riders, locked their brakes but were unable to avoid hitting the van, HPD said.

A 46-year-old man was taken to Castle Medical Center, where he later died. The other rider, described as a male in his 40s, was taken to The Queen's Medical Center in critical condition.

The driver of the van did not appear to be injured, according to Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig.

Police are investigating whether speed was a factor in the collision. HPD said alcohol does not appear to have been a factor.

Molly Arthur, 37, was at the nearby YMCA Windward Branch, where she works as a swim instructor, when she heard the crash just after 2 p.m. She and a co-worker then ran across busy Kailua Road to the scene of the crash.

One of the victims had stopped breathing and had no pulse, so Arthur performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

"He was really messed up," she said. "His face was bloody and his shirt was torn."

Arthur said she performed CPR for "five to 10 minutes" before Emergency Medical Service workers took over.

Arthur said the man gasped a couple of times while she was working on him, and she was told by EMS workers that the man's pulse returned.

It was the first time Arthur has had to perform CPR. Her previous certification expired, but she is in the process of renewing it. She was still shaken by the incident a couple of hours later.

"I'd never given CPR before, and I'd never even seen an accident before," she said. "I'd never seen anything like that in my life."

Police halted Kailua-bound traffic from Ulu'oa Street for more than three hours to conduct their investigation, with traffic diverted to Kalaniana'ole Highway from Pali Highway.

Reach Michael Tsai at mtsai@honoluluadvertiser.com.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: LOST MY GOOD FRIEND YESTERDAY
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »

So incredibly sad to learn of this....  God Bless....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:00:31 PM »

So incredibly sad to learn of this....  God Bless....

A sad incident.
Sorry to hear about this!

:(

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

04se103

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:02:29 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss I to lost a good friend three years ago this month. God Bless

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »

So sorry to hear about your loss! Our prayers will be with you as you grieve for your friend.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:35:10 PM »

I am so sorry to hear about the lost of your friend, My prayers will be with you and your friends family as well.

~bubba~
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »

My heart is with you and your friends family. Just not right, some air-head with no clue kills a good man? Man, I LOVE TO RIDE, but the load of loosing friends and their friends really takes a toll on me  :bigcry:Hang tough bra, you know you have my heart. Dave

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 01:41:16 AM »

Thanks folks...

The Media inteviewed his Mom and Daughter for tonights news...

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/16738/40/

javascript:IDMPlayer.Controls.PlayVideoOnPage('271,270,264,258,257,256,252,251,250,245,241,239,235,234,232,231,227,220,219,216,215,213,211,210,196,194,278,277,274,273',{CategoryId:'17',ContractDefId:'2',ContractVidObjId:'',ContractBannerObjId:'',PlayerIndex:'0',ShowOptions:'false'});

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:25:19 AM »

Sorry for your loss! Prayers and thought going out to his family and to you and his other friends! One thing that struck me in the article was the line..... Police are investigating whether speed was a factor in the collision. HPD said alcohol does not appear to have been a factor. Shouldn't it read police are investigating whether the driver of the mini van was a competent driver, checked his rear view/side mirror?  I guess that is a mute point a brother has been lost in another senseless accident. God Bless his family and friends!
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 08:48:12 AM »

Sorry to hear, our prayers go out to the families.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »

Sorry to hear of the loss of a friend. Prayer for the families in their time of grief.
You never know what stupid thing anyone on the road will do and when, that's what we have to be aware of.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »

Eh Bruddah,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing worse than losing a friend. Growing up in Hawaii in thr 60s and 70s we were always wary about the tourist drivers. They are unfamiliar with the lay of the island and quickly get lost. Back then the island was not as crowded as today.

Once again my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Amen
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 07:50:41 PM »

Sorry for your loss! Prayers and thought going out to his family and to you and his other friends! One thing that struck me in the article was the line..... Police are investigating whether speed was a factor in the collision. HPD said alcohol does not appear to have been a factor. Shouldn't it read police are investigating whether the driver of the mini van was a competent driver, checked his rear view/side mirror?  I guess that is a mute point a brother has been lost in another senseless accident. God Bless his family and friends!

Sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your friend. I agree with what Ditch said above....the tourist apparently makes an illegal U-Turn and runs into the bikes, and they're investigating whether speed was a factor?  :nixweiss: No matter what, we always lose when it's a close encounter with a cage. Again sorry to hear about this.

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »

Sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your friend. I agree with what Ditch said above....the tourist apparently makes an illegal U-Turn and runs into the bikes, and they're investigating whether speed was a factor?  :nixweiss: No matter what, we always lose when it's a close encounter with a cage. Again sorry to hear about this.

Joe

This doesnt lessen the hurt, but it helps knowing that HPD will be pursuing the visitor.

Tokyo man suspect in fatal Kailua crash

By Curtis Lum
Advertiser Staff Writer

A 37-year-old Japanese national was arrested yesterday in connection with a Sunday traffic accident in Kailua that killed one man and critically injured another.

The dead man was identified yesterday as Eric Souza, 46, of Pearl City.

Jiro Matsunaga of Tokyo was arrested at 5:25 p.m. at a Waikiki hotel for investigation of one count of third-degree negligent homicide and first-degree negligent injury.

Third-degree negligent homicide is a misdemeanor, while negligent injury is a class C felony.

Matsunaga was booked at the main police station on Beretania Street and released without charges pending further investigation.

Matsunaga is suspected of being the driver of a Kailua-bound rental van that veered suddenly from the right lane to the left lane of Kailua Road near Uluoa Street in an attempt to make a U-turn.

As the van began to make the turn at about 2:10 p.m., two motorcycles, which were among five heading in the same direction, slam- med into the van, police said.

Souza, who was driving one of the motorcycles, was taken to Castle Medical Center, where he died. The driver of the second motorcycle, a 43-year-old Kalihi man, remained in critical condition yesterday at The Queen's Medical Center.

Police said neither motorcyclist was wearing a helmet. The crash remains under investigation and police are looking into whether speed was a factor on the part of the motorcyclists.

Souza's death was the 24th traffic fatality on O'ahu so far this year. Nine of those killed were operating motorcycles.

Reach Curtis Lum at culum@honoluluadvertiser.com.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »

My condolences and prayers to you and all his people
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.