Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: How do you get at the battery terminals on an 09 SEUC?  (Read 5227 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
How do you get at the battery terminals on an 09 SEUC?
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »

I removed whatever that module is on top of the battery.  I can get at the terminal on the right, as it is on top of the battery.  How do you get at the terminal on the left side?  I can't even tell which side is positive and negative.  There are no marking, but it looks like there may be a red wire leading to the left side.  I'd assume that's the positive side, but I'm not willing to take a chance at this point.  It looks like there's a lot in the way of actually removing that battery.  Is there any other way to get to the terminals?  What a freakin' pain!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: How do you get at the battery terminals on an 09 SEUC?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »

Dave

You kill me.

whatever that module is on top of the battery.

It's the ECM.

Do you finish anything before you jump on the site to complain about it?

Try using the 09 SEUC manual with the red bike (like yours) on the front, look at page 186 and 187.

I have had my battery out twice and if I can do it anyone can.

:nixweiss:      :nixweiss:      :nixweiss:      :nixweiss:      :nixweiss:      :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:57 AM »

Try using the 09 SEUC manual with the red bike (like yours) on the front, look at page 186 and 187.

I don't know, he may be speaking for the silent majority of us who struggle with such things.  I can usually figure things out eventually - occasionally without screwing something up in the process.  Sometimes it helps to vent & maybe get a suggestion or two in return.

Dave is just more prolific than most.  A lot more. :D

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:19:50 AM »

Dave

You kill me.

It's the ECM.

:nixweiss:      :nixweiss:      :nixweiss:      :nixweiss:      :nixweiss:      :nixweiss:

I don't know, he may be speaking for the silent majority of us who struggle with such things.  I can usually figure things out eventually - occasionally without screwing something up in the process.  Sometimes it helps to vent & maybe get a suggestion or two in return.

Dave is just more prolific than most.  A lot more. :D

Thanks Woode.  I think you were defending my question to some extent.

Chip, if I finished it, I wouldn't be on here asking the question, now would I?  I couldn't get the top cover front latch to detach, so I put it back together to the point of what I described.  I did everything as stated in the manual, but they don't show you where this latch is and apparently, I couldn't find it.  I have an idea where it might be, but I didn't want to snap the cover into pieces when it didn't come loose.   At that point, while I was putting it back together, I thought of the forum and decided to ask the question of whether there was anything that someone has come up with to get at it in another way, before I put the ECM and seat back in place.  Apparently not, and I didn't really think I would get an answer saying there was.  But, many times on this forum, I have seen where folks have come up with some good ideas to make something a bit easier, so I asked the question.  Just because I didn't spell out every step that I had already taken does not mean that I did not do them.  My only aim was getting at the final question of whether there was a shortcut method that could be easily missed.  Perhaps you would have approved of my question if I just asked where the latch was that they don't show in the manual and left out "What a freakin' pain!"  At any rate, I buttoned everything back up after posting and figured I would know for the next time around.  My bike is going to the shop tomorrow, so I'll let them hook up the cables while it's there and I won't have to worry about it for now.  Just to be fair though, I did skip the step about cutting the cable ties, but I was able to get the cover past the cables with no problem.

But now I will ask the revised question.  When you are removing the battery, there is a latch at the front of the top cover.  They do not show the latch in the manual.  To detach it, do you just twist and turn it with force or is there some sort of button to push in like with cable connections to detach it?  I followed all of the other steps in the manual, other than cutting the cable ties, as I was able to get past the cables with the cover.  I could not get the top cover to detach at the front.  I didn't want to use too much force and snap the cover.  What's the method for detaching that front latch?

I hope you approve of that question more than the original one.  It wasn't a complaint.  It was a question.  If you can't ask questions on this forum, then why do we have a forum?  If you think a question is beneath you, rather than trying to ridicule that person, just don't answer the question.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:20:40 AM »

I removed whatever that module is on top of the battery.  I can get at the terminal on the right, as it is on top of the battery.  How do you get at the terminal on the left side?  I can't even tell which side is positive and negative.  There are no marking, but it looks like there may be a red wire leading to the left side.  I'd assume that's the positive side, but I'm not willing to take a chance at this point.  It looks like there's a lot in the way of actually removing that battery.  Is there any other way to get to the terminals?  What a freakin' pain!
There is a step-by-step instruction in your manual. With pictures.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:29:20 AM »

Ride safely,
Louis

Thanks Louis.  I couldn't get past that last step and I didn't want to break something by applying force.  Unfortunately, I've done that too many times in the past.  Maybe I missed something in the pictures that I didn't see the first time, but I'm not running down to the garage to look at it again tonight.  They mention the latch in the instructions, but I didn't see it in the photos.  Oh well.  Not a life changing predicament.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »

Thanks Woode.  I think you were defending my question to some extent.
Absolutely - couldn't agree more.  If you have to analyze whether or not a question may be perceived as unworthy, there would be a lot less activity on this forum.  Something may be obvious to some, and a puzzle to others.
Sorry about the "prolific" comment...  It was more because I am in awe of your contributions to the board.

Ed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 01:14:31 AM »

Absolutely - couldn't agree more.  If you have to analyze whether or not a question may be perceived as unworthy, there would be a lot less activity on this forum.  Something may be obvious to some, and a puzzle to others.
Sorry about the "prolific" comment...  It was more because I am in awe of your contributions to the board.

Ed

Thanks again.  Actually, I do understand the answer I got to an extent also.  Directing people to the owner's manual can be very helpful an awful lot of the time.  Had I made it clear that I followed what was in the manual and asked the question before I had already put things back together, I may not have gotten the same type of response.  But the fact was that was not the question I was asking and that didn't seem pertinent to me at the time.  I've noticed on this forum that the same questions pop up on a regular basis as new folks join the forum; things such as exhaust questions.  It would be real easy to just ask them if they did a search on the forum before they asked their question, but answering fully without making them read thread after thread, and trying to give them the quick answer in one quick shot is what makes them come back to the forum...IMHO.  I seriously have a problem with anyone making fun of a question, as the original poster is not the only one reading the response.  There are new people reading these posts too, and I would hate to have them end up with "scared to ask a stupid question" attitude.  I can see how the longer you are on the forum, the less tolerant you can become with some of the questions asked.  That's why I made the comment about if you don't like the question, don't answer it.  That wasn't a personal attack, but rather a general thought for everyone to consider.  After reading again what I wrote there, it came out in an agressive manner, and I really didn't mean to aim that at one person, as it seemed.  There have already been some cases where I'm guilty of looking at a question and thinking to myself, "You've got to be kidding", but I either don't respond or I suck it up and give the best answer that I have.

As far as what you said about something being obvious to some and puzzling to others, I'm probably more often than not in the puzzled crowd.  Although I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, I never did any of the work on my bikes myself until the past 3 or 4 years.  I suppose that's because before then, I just bought a bike and rode it and never had any problems, since I never modified anything.  There are some things that I have done before and I feel comfortable with those things.  If I haven't done it before, I'm going to have questions.  I found out tonight that even something as simple as hooking up some power cables to the battery can have a new twist to it that I haven't seen in the past.  At this time, I think the only reasonable thing I can do is go have a late night snack.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:24:13 AM »

Ride safely,
Louis

My point exactly!
Thanks Louis!

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 10:19:19 AM »

Well as far as getting that module or tray off the bike ( and that is what I think you're asking about.  And if the shop all ready did what you wanted to do you can always go and try it just to do it.  Also, this is how I remember doing it on my SERG not an Ultra.  Yes the first time I did it it took a few minutes to figured it out.
First take the 2 bolts that hold those 2 tabs.  If you want to take the antenna off (or unplugged it) slide it to the outside of the bike (left side, I belive.  Don't pull it up) Then what you do is lift the tray up (as far as it goes straight up, wich is not much) then you kinda slide it forward with a bit of a tilt (back to front).  You might have to move a few wires out of the way in the process.  But like most of the things we do just go slow NO FORCE require. 
Oh, yeah if this is not what you're talikng about , Never mind.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 04:29:34 PM »

...........  It wasn't a complaint.  It was a question.  If you can't ask questions on this forum, then why do we have a forum?  If you think a question is beneath you, rather than trying to ridicule that person, just don't answer the question.

Thats what I think too. I thought the whole reason a FORUM existed was to ask questions and discuss these types of things. Seems Chip is the one that wants to pull the trigger prematurely. :P

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »

Most other forums I belong to dont rip you a new one for asking a question....

Youre right, the reason we all use forums and other forms of internet communication is to be able to ask what could be a humiliating question... the worst you'll get from it is a ribbing from a bunch of smartasses.

I try to share my thoughts and mothods if I feel they will help the next guy who may not be quite as mechanically savvy as I.

Sometimes I get stuck and cant figure something out too...

Share the knowledge and enjoy the passion.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 05:26:17 PM »

Guys, thanks for speaking in my defense, but I can look at this from a few different perspectives.  Chip knows that I have been around long enough to use the manual for something like removing the battery.  I didn't spell out what I had already done, and I think he read into it that I hadn't tried the step by step method, and may have misconstrued what I was actually asking.  Another thing is the fact that written word can't be interpreted the same way a live conversation can.  He may have been just trying to bust my hump a little, which is not only commonplace on here, but I would think would also be encouraged.  There's nothing wrong with good natured ribbing.  That's what friends do.  I've never met Chip, talked to him on the phone once, but I consider him a friend, as I do everyone on this forum, and I still look forward to meeting up with him one of these fine days.

I still stand by what I said about not ridiculing anybody for asking questions, but I may have been the one to overreact to his response...or at least the way I responded made it appear that way.  Does it really matter if either of us were right or wrong?  Who cares?  No need to drag out a thread that has nowhere good to go.  To quote Harley Davidson MOCO, "Screw it. Let's ride".

AMP

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »

The only 'stupid' question is the one you don't ask. Better safe than sorry.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »

Guys and Pammy, I'm loving this.

Dave, have you figured it out now?

Hope so!

So let me warn you on another matter.

Your hog pod's is coming on Monday.

Call me on Saturday and we can cover some of the "O chit, what do I do" questions I know you will have.

I made a couple stupid mistakes with mine that you can avoid but to describe what they were would take to long to type so I will tell you.

I'm here for you, and besides our conversation will keep you from typing another dissertation of why something isn't right.

SBB

And if anyone else has a question about their Hog pod send me a pm with your phone number and I will call. Especially if your painting it!

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 22 queries.