Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sidecar for FLSTSE  (Read 8570 times)

23mc

sidecar for FLSTSE
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »

Hi everyone, Thinking of getting a sidecar for my 05 Screamin eagle fatboy. My wife was just diagnosed with a rare disease and she cant sit on the back anymore. I really miss not having her riding with me. I would like to get a sidecar that can be easily removed when she's not with me. Any ideas. I don't know anything about them. Thanks Dave

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: sidecar for FLSTSE
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »

Harley still makes them and heres a pic, below.  See here for specs:  http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2008/08_sidecar_spec.asp?bmLocale=en_US&model=TLE&ShowMetric=NO&color=0

Also try a google search.  Here's a custom builder:  http://www.libertysidecars.com/

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »

not knowing anything about them can cause you no end of real pain, hassle & general bummed out ness.  :-X

quick primer - this is not to deter but to educate - ive had three bikes with sidecars since 1980 - all hd bikes two with hd sidecars.

steering - hd quit making raked trees for sidecar bikes after 1983 - that means that any modern hd including yours will steer like a bulldozer with a sidecar.  if you have really huge upper body strength this is no problem. to permanently solve that problem i use a liberty raked tree - there are many tree options, i personally think liberty is the best tree mfg. it IS theoretically possible to mount a pre 84 sidecar tree on a modern softail with some "extra work" that will give you the adjustability - forward for sidecar and back for solo - they are very very rare & expensive - but what that says "hd" on it is not expensive. for most folks its either tolerate high steering effort or install a raked tree.

hd does not make a sidecar for the softail line - liberty in seattle makes a really wonderful unit and will mount it to a softail. i have a ultra and am using a hd sidecar. i have seen a hd sidecar mounted on a softail - it can be done but you really do need a machine shop to modify stock hd mounts.

Alignment - to have a sidecar rig work properly there are two adjustments - lean out & toe in. lean is to get the front end to want to go straight and toe in is to compensate for the rear tire squirming ever so slightly to the left. i run about 3/8" of toe in measured from a board that is clamped to the sidecar tire and measuring in front of the bike front tire to behind the rear bike tire - think about the length & how small a angle that really is. the range is 3/4" to 1/4" its very very precise and if not right is terrrrrrrible, dangerous terrible - get hd sidecar manual and do what it says.

hd sidecars ride like a 1955 cadillac - my wife has a bad back - she reached the point where she could not ride for 10 mins without having to get off and put heat on. in the sidecar she is just fine all day. [of course she is now menopausal - do i need to say more] i have a left ankle that will just not work properly every so often - its really scarry coming to a stop sign not knowing if this is the time im going to fall over.

it takes about 10 mins to get a sidecar off for service or to go ride solo assuming you have a solo tree. however - it takes a couple of hours to get the sidecar on the bike, hook up the wires, hook up the brakes, bleed the brakes, set lean and toe, do a couple of test rides and reset the lean and toe.

basically if you want your hd with sidecar to operate properly you need to have a bike where you never take the sidecar off except to do major engine work to the right side - all the shiny crap mfg will say about easy on and easy on is just complete bull*&^% propagated by sales departments. a sidecar is not permanent like a trike - you can separate them and sell the two units apart. but its unreality to be taking it off all week and have it on each weekend - not going to happen. if you do think you can do that send me some of what you are smoking.

if you go to buy a used hd sidecar remember that the mounting kit to put a hd sidecar on a hd touring bike costs about 1100 bux, its included in the price so a brand new hd sidecar removed and put up for sale is instantly 1100 bux cheaper unless they can prove that 100% of the parts are there.  that 1100 bux box contains parts that are more or less permanently installed on the bike. usually the used sidecar comes with the large forged mounts - those are the cheapest parts in the box. also remember that the mounting kit is listed & mfg by what year bike its mounting to - a 06 kit WILL NOT work on a 07 bike for example. the 1100 $ kit consists of a new, special brake pedal, a new special rear master cylinder reservoir plus some pipes and clamps, a tee and plug for the brake line, a fitting to move the oil pressure sender, and some wiring that goes behind and under the battery that changes how the rollover switch works. plus the anti wobble giz for the front fork, a new clutch cable as the original has to move and wont reach, new right side saddle bag latch parts, and a few other parts that excape me. liberty mounts are similar but different and include a small part that is welded to the hd frame.

your best bet & lowest bux is to purchase a used hd with a sidecar already on it - install a raked tree if it does not already have it & then switch bikes, you will be vastly happier.

later and have a good day

to

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »

timo 482

Not knowing you and not knowing your experience I must say I enjoyed reading your reply.
It read like, anything is possible but please know that it will not be easy.
I appreciate your candor and your honesty.
I rode 800 miles to the Harley 105th and then back with a friend that had an 03 Road King with a side car.
I watched him fight it all 1600 miles and decided a side car wasn't for me.
They are cool but not for me.
Great post timo!

SBB   

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »

thanks sbb

i have mine to where loaded or empty i can run at 80 with the cruise on and two fingers on the left bar. it took me years and lots of bux to learn the art.

if its right - there is NO fighting

if its not it totally sucks

if you see somebody fighting a hd with a sidecar - its just all wrong, and they are either: ignorant of proper adjustment, have been fed a line of horse**& by somebody, had some dealer with a third rate tech install it, or are too stubborn to listen.

for the first three ill give them all the help i can - for the last - well its its own reward to watch.

to

23mc

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »

Thanks so much.... after reading these posts I've decided a sidecar isn't for me and I can't afford a new bike right now. Thanks for your help.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »

Harley now makes a real nice 3 wheeler ( with a 103 )

they handle great,  a friend has one.  trade up.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.