Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Issue with Power Commander Five (PC-V)  (Read 17733 times)

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3
Issue with Power Commander Five (PC-V)
« on: May 07, 2009, 02:04:26 AM »

I installed a PC-V on my 09 SERG.  When I had the shop tune it I had them extend the rev limiter up to 6200 from the factor 5200.  I notice once I go past 5000 rmps my tac does not.  It stops at 5000 rmps.  I talked with my shop and they did some testing on other motorcycles they have installled the PC-V on and they said it was the same with each motorcycle they extended the rev limiter on.  The shop told me they are going to give Dyno Jet a call and see if they are aware of this issue and if so see if there is a patch to fix it.  Has anyone else noticed the same issue?  If so have you gotten it corrected?  If you have gotten it correct how did you get it corrected?   :-\   :confused5:

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
Re: Issue with Power Commander Five (PC-V)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:42:32 AM »

I have the PCV and only have been up to 5800 rpms and it reads that.  Doc

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »

8)

Mine went to 5600 with no issues.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:35:35 AM »

No issues with mine either-

2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

2006 Custom Bobber Hardtail
80" Super Stock Evo
SS heads, SS 561 cam, Super G carb, TD aircleaner
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »

I just got off the phone with my shop.  They talked with Dyno Jet and found out that before tuning the PC-V they need to do an update to stock ECM from Harley that will fix the problem.   :oops:   It is a screamin eagle download that is an option. The option cost $150 at this shop and then they have to remap the PC-V with the new ECM settings and the Tac will work properly.   :sauer007:

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »

That sounds like a pain. I didn't have any problems using TTS tuner on my 09, and my tach reads correctly... Would like to hear more about what this factory flash actually does..

jb

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 05:14:49 PM »

>:( >:( >:(

A firmware  upgrade on a $35000 bike costs $150.

Hear hear what does it do?

:soapbox:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »

If you put a SE download into the ECM it moves the Rev limiter up to ~6200 just from the download. Sounds like that is what they are after to keep the Tach working.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »

I beleive it is an 09A download that has been added to the newer bikes from the factory, why would they charge for that? The first 09 SERG I had recieved this download when they were looking for a problem with that bike, thias new one already has it in it, Build date 3/09.   Doc

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »

I just got off the phone with my shop.  They talked with Dyno Jet and found out that before tuning the PC-V they need to do an update to stock ECM from Harley that will fix the problem.   :oops:   It is a screamin eagle download that is an option. The option cost $150 at this shop and then they have to remap the PC-V with the new ECM settings and the Tac will work properly.   :sauer007:
Just wondering if it is the same download that is being discussed in this thread - Charged for "Update Download"??. :nixweiss: It appears that some dealers don't realize that there shouldn't be a charge for this update for the SE/CVO bikes that need it.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:19:51 AM »

Now I am being told that there is not a download for my bike.  Once they enter my VIN in the computer for the download there is no download for it.  So now the dealership is waiting for a responce from Harley motor company technical support.  Once I find out what they are going to do I will update.

If you put a SE download into the ECM it moves the Rev limiter up to ~6200 just from the download. Sounds like that is what they are after to keep the Tach working.
Steve, I believe this is what the download will do and that is about it.

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 03:28:10 PM »

It is normal thing with the rev x tend enabled with the PCV. It interrupts the stock tach signal, but lets the bike run to whatever they set the max at. I talked to Jamie at Fuel Moto about this exact thing. He informed me that is how it works. The  SE download raises the rev limiter to 6200 and the tach will work fine, but that doesn't have anything to do with the PCV.  The PCV has to fool the tach signal so the tach stops at 5000 or whatever. I have this in my 08 Roadking and also my friends 09 SERG. They are both the same. Nothing you can do about it with the PCV. Don't worry about it, just ride it and don't look at the tach, the rev limiter still works at whatever is is set at with the PCV.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »

That strikes me as kinda "Mickey Mouse" if you know what I mean... The object of watching the tach is so you shift before the rev limiter kicks in... constantly hitting the rev limiter can do serious damage to a motor... Just sayin...

jb

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 06:55:46 PM »

Well I guess it is, so if you need a tach and a high rev limit, don't buy a PC-V go with another tuner. I can shift fine with mine, but I don't wring it out anyway. After a while you know what it sounds like when you are getting up there.

I don't know how else they could extend the limit and have the tach drive signal work past the stock rev limit, because the power commanders are a "inbetween" the pcm and harness deal. They would need to have to block the stock tach signal from the pcm so it doesn't shut down and then supply their own so the tach works up to 6200 etc. The only way to is to have the original pcm flashed, but with the PCV it still would stop before I think.  I am running the Auto tune with my PC-V and couldn't be happier.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:14:48 PM by RBFB »

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »

Well I got the final verdict from the dealership bottom line I am going to have to live with the Tac stopping at 5K or take out the PC-V and go with something else   :sauer005:.  I don't understand why Dyno Jet the maker of PC-V made it this way and why they don't build a patch to fix it.  My understanding is they have no plans to fix it.
   Like RBFB just posted you do get to know your bike sounds and if you are running hard you will be able to tell when you getting close to the rev limiter. 
   The reason I was pursuing this issue is I believe when I pay good money for something it should work properly.  In the case of  PC-v it does not.  My next step is to write Dyno jet a letter to let them know how I feel.  I just wanted to make other people aware of the issue if you are thinking about adding a PC-V to your scooter to improve it's performance and you extend your rev limiter beware your tac is going to stop at 5K.
   OK now I will get of my :soapbox:

Cheers all   :2vrolijk_09:

Thanks for listening
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.