Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Issue with Power Commander Five (PC-V)  (Read 17732 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Issue with Power Commander Five (PC-V)
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2009, 07:58:38 PM »

I have talked with one of the lead service techs at my dealer as well.  He pretty much confirms what Jerry posted.  He told me the SE 110s are already set up as Stage I and have a 5800 rpm rev limit in the stock ECM download.  According to him, the factory says they cannot do the Stage II download to the SE bikes, which would raise the rev limit to 6200.  He also confirmed it is VIN restricted.  If you have a stock 96 cubic inch 2009 bike and buy the 110 cubic inch Stage II equipment, then you get the 6200 rev limit download with that, but even then you have to pay for it.

That's what's nice with the TTS......you can change whatever you want (within limits, of course!)
HOGMIKE

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »

>:( >:( >:(

Well, if you buy the SERT you get the expanded RPM range.  The TTS replaces the SERT and thus they can control the RPM and thus the Tach but it is still a NB O2 arrangement or open loop.  I still like the WB O2 sensors and the ability for the system to adjust to heat, humidity, altitude, gas and other variables.

I remember when we had chains, kick start, drum brakes, carb's that wouldn't adjust to altitude (the old way).  HD knows this but because of EPA stuff they have ( I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) to go with NB O2 sensors to keep the AFR above 14.2 to 14.7.  However, the 110 then runs very hot and loses power.

I guess when HD goes to water cooled we'll get much poorer gas mileage but meet the EPA rules.  Even the Jap and Euro bikes have issues with heat (reference the Honda Gold Wing and ST1300).

Thus, the aftermarket guys either take over the ECM from HD (TTS or TMAT) or leave it in place and basically trick into working better (Fuel Pak and PC V). 

Seems, HD would allow a simple override of the tach but I guess not.   
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2009, 11:21:54 PM »

Thus, the aftermarket guys either take over the ECM from HD (TTS or TMAT) or leave it in place and basically trick into working better (Fuel Pak and PC V). 

TTS doesn't really replace the ECU, it just allows access to change the factory settings; and by changing a few settings, allows you to dial in most of the VE tables so your AFR settings are actually are on target. Basically it allows you to setup your ecu to run in closed loop for all but the 100% field and then uses the NB sensors to provide the feedback necessary to correct the VEs. Once you have the VEs correct, you can set the ECU to run in closed and/or open loop depending on how you choose to set it up.
My 103 (09 SG) is running a lot cooler using this process and Mvs are set to run 14.4 in closed loop. After the Vtune has done it's thing, then you can be sure that even the open loop fields are actually providing the AFR you set. (including CLB offsets)..  :apple:

OK Steve, did I get that right, LOL...

jb

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2009, 06:59:14 AM »

I never asked how the tack reads to 6200 but remember I have not had the bike above 5800 rpms yet , but it reads to that rpm with the PCV in the system, I will check with the tech that did the boot to the ecm and find out what was done.  Doc

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »

Seems, HD would allow a simple override of the tach but I guess not.   

Not unless they have a way to make more money off you.  Nothing (other than BS) is free in the world of Harley.  And btw, if you were selling an engine that doesn't exactly have exemplary reliability in stock form would you want people jacking up the rev limiter and then expecting you to warrant the thing without making a tidy extra profit first?  I didn't think so.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2009, 05:54:37 AM »

Well I found out why my bike will hit 6200 rpms with the PCV in it, The bike was downloaded with a canned SSert map. Seems I had it done on the first bike and when they replaced the bike, gave me this one with it in there for me also.   Doc

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2009, 08:41:55 AM »

:-X :-X :-X

Yes, got the same answer at my dealership.  Occasionally, they will load a SERT map to appease the customer.  This then allows the ECM to send the tach up to 6200. 

I am very satisfied with the PC V and autotune and to tell the truth rarely get the bike above 5000 much less 6000.  I'll stick with what I got.  The WB O2 sensors did a great job on  a trip to Coronado trail where it was 38 degrees at 9000 feet and 86 degrees at 3000 feet.  Bike ran great no complaints.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:09 PM »

Thanks for checking DOC.

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »

Here is a Quote I received from Dyno Jet:
 "So i talked to the guy that teaches the Screamin Eagle tuner classes and he did say that HD has phased out the ECM stage burns. So I guess to only way to get your bike to rev to 6200 AND show 6200 would be with a Race Tuner."

This is the samething the dealer told me.   So if you want to buy a PCV beware of the issue with the TAC if that is a concern to you.

I have my bike back. I still have the PCV installed (FOR NOW) and now I know the limitation of my Tac.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:14:22 PM by Birdman »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2009, 03:01:11 PM »

::) ::) ::)

I like the PC V and I rarely run my bike past five much less six.  I'm keeping it.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.