Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Six speed transmission.  (Read 3068 times)

Veep

Six speed transmission.
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:28:29 PM »

I am the proud owner of a 2003 and a 2009 Night Train and love them both. I love the 09 engine/transmission combination. I think it is about perfect. My only complaint with the 03 is that it feels like it is geared too low. Is the six speed transmission a direct Bolt-on for the 03? I would love the higher drive ratios.

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSEĀ³
Re: Six speed transmission.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »

Not the Harley 6 speed - but you can put a Baker 6 speed in it.
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »

There are a few options available, but installing the Cruise Drive six speed from the '07 and later models isn't one of them.  You can buy a Screamin' Eagle six speed overdrive gear set that can be installed in your existing transmission case, or a complete trans including the case.  You can buy a Baker, either the overdrive six speed like the SE unit or the Direct Drive six speed with a 1:1 top gear ratio and a different primary ratio to achieve the overdrive effect.  That's the one H-D copied when they came out with the Cruise Drive.

There are other alternatives that could also work in a relatively light bike like the Night Train that wouldn't add any more gears.  Changing just the primary ratio (engine sprocket/clutch basket sprocket plus chain), or changing the final drive ratio (trans output sprocket or rear sprocket plus new belt) might make enough difference to satisfy your needs. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »

I've found the Baker OD6 with 3.37:1 primary gearing to be the perfect combination for me in the Green Bike.

At the first sign of a primary or transmission leak on the Purple Bike, it too will get a Baker OD6 and 3.37.  When I picked it up yesterday after having Bob Wood's TW6G cams installed, I kept hunting for the sixth gear......especially since I'd just ridden the Green Bike down there to drop it off for the installation of another oil cooler.  Sixth gear at 3K rpm = 80 mph.  Perfect.  JMHO.

Veep

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »

I have thought about changing the primary ratio but I can't find anyone who makes a gear/chainset with overdrive in mind. Any ideas where I might find one?

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:35:49 AM »

I have thought about changing the primary ratio but I can't find anyone who makes a gear/chainset with overdrive in mind. Any ideas where I might find one?

http://rodsperformance.com

(256) 352-2643

9-5 Tuesday thru Saturday

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.