Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: What's your experience with sun shirts with UV protection?  (Read 15425 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Chris (Ridein Ruby) mentioned that he uses a shirt to ride in Ariz. that has sun protection built in.  I didn't even know they made such a thing so I did an internet search and like most things........just to many options.

So, if you can share your experience.....what works, what doesn't, what are features that I need to consider riding in 100+ degree weather (Arizona)?  Some are 100% cotton some are a blend and some are polyester (probably the lightest and most breathable and fastest drying).  So many decisions....what's your experience? :nixweiss:

Here are some that I found but I don't know which is the best bang for the buck:

http://www.uvskinz.com/detail.aspx?id=146&c=6

http://www.sungrubbies.com/product_index_html/product_detail_html/Sun-protective-Clothing-TShirtA.htm

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: What's your experience with sun shirts with UV protection?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »

I use several and they work. Only bad thing is that afer a lot of washes the sun protection is gone.
Bill

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »

I've used them for about 5 years.  The first ones I bought were  from a company in California called Sunbrella and were pricey.  The last couple of years I have bought them at REI at a considerable savings.  They work well but the best part is their comfort.  It's like riding topless which feels pretty good when it's over 90.  Highly recommend.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:34 PM »

I wear the Columbia Brand of SPF shirts every day to work, they work very good for sun protection, but offer NO protection from ROAD RASH, try a Vanson Vent Max (on sale right now for $99.00). Cool and prevents Road rash.

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »

I don't get it. Cotton T has always worked for me, as long as it is not old and thin.  Also use old cotton dress shirts w/o burns.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »

I don't get it. Cotton T has always worked for me, as long as it is not old and thin.  Also use old cotton dress shirts w/o burns.

Looking for something a lot lighter than cotten.

Ordered one of the nylon type shirts and two of the polyester for each of us.  They've already shipped.....we'll see.  Was told the polyester was like not wearing anything.....that's what I'm looking for.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »

The SPF in the clothing is fantastic.   :2vrolijk_21:
Do pay attention though to the washing instructions.
Most will not work if you use fabric softener, so if this is something you normally add to laundry, then you have to wash these separate.   No bleach either. I think just the washing separate is all you really need to pay attention to, wash and hang to dry they last a fair length of time.
I have a white long sleeve one, that got some oil on it when we were on our way to Nelson. My bike broke down and I guess I somehow got oil on it.  It will never be clean again, so a $50 T-shirt I only wore a few times.  :-[
Brett pointed out to me, and since he did I've noticed that you can get a lot of the underarmor items that wick away moisture so you stay real nice and dry and sweet smelling.  These if you watch for them sometimes go on sale for around $20.  Heck that is cheaper than a cotton t-shirt from any HD shop. 
Now that I know more about the products, I really look for clothing with SPF in it.  If they also have vents, or ways to roll up sleeves or leggings I like this too. 
You already have the cool vest for keeping you cool, just a couple shirts and you can even get pants with it in too. 
They feel much lighter and cooler than other materials. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »

Candy I was reading your post and started chukeling to myself.  Kind of funny.......years ago it was all about the "look good".  Now it's to hell with the look good......it's all about the comfort! ;D   

That wouldn't qualify to be infinate wisdom (could be confused with infant wisdom).......maybe geriatric wisdom. :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »

The older we get, the less we care about "cool looks" and the more we care about comfort!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

Ah ha, yall comin round to seein things my way.... :P

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:03:15 PM »

8) 8) 8)

Here in South Texas getting sun burn is easy and painfull year round.  I wear either Columbia SPF 50 or Bass Pro shop equivalent.  Comes in several colors.  Light with wind flap in the back.  Lots of pockets, dry fast, very cool, and no sunburn.  Last forever.

A little on the pricey side but can catch them on sale for around $35.00.  I have six.  They are great.  Pack great.

:drink: :drink:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »

my buddy in key west, a fishing boat capt., swears by them. all he wears for the last 10 years. 20 years of running a boat
with reg. shirts and he still fights skin cancer. depends how much time ya spend outside.
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

I may be mistaken but I read somwhere that a test was done comparing a regular cotton long sleeve T vs a sun shirt. The findings were that the regular t-shirt provided just as much UV filtration. Now that was several years ago and myabe these new ones are better. I'd just use a regular t-shirt and spend the extra money on a good Porterhouse steak dinner.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Sean M Cary

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »

Looking for something a lot lighter than cotten.

Ordered one of the nylon type shirts and two of the polyester for each of us.  They've already shipped.....we'll see.  Was told the polyester was like not wearing anything.....that's what I'm looking for.

under armor heat gear...

worked for me in hotter then your likely to encounter in CONUS...not sure of its sun blocking capability
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:07:52 AM by Florida Marine »

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:52:48 AM »

I'm with you.  I've never seen anything but tan/burn lines (white underneath) wearing cotton. 

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »

I'm with you.  I've never seen anything but tan/burn lines (white underneath) wearing cotton. 

Some of the sun protective stuff is 100% cotton so that's not the issue.  What you're missing is that we're looking for the same protection factor in something looser fitting and lighter than cotton. 

By the way.......thought you were going to be in Solvang for the GTG?  What happened? :nixweiss:  You missed a great time and a couple of great rides.

West Coast GTG   

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »

Some of the sun protective stuff is 100% cotton so that's not the issue.  What you're missing is that we're looking for the same protection factor in something looser fitting and lighter than cotton. 

By the way.......thought you were going to be in Solvang for the GTG?  What happened? :nixweiss:  You missed a great time and a couple of great rides.

ha!  I thought so too.  Had another surgery on my knee to remove the hardware (from mc accident 10/17/08).  Scheduled as a 45 min surgery -- ended up 2 1/2 hours.  They found more damage not addressed at the time of the accident.  Put me back on crutches for 6 weeks with NO load bearing on the right leg (pita~!!!).  From there I spent a week on a cane, and have been walking on my own for barely 2 weeks now. 

I watched the thread, kept thinking about it, but just couldn't.  I really wanted to be there with you'all.  I took my first unaided walk around the block 3 days ago.  THAT felt good. 

OK.  I get it on the shirts.   :2vrolijk_21:

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

ha!  I thought so too.  Had another surgery on my knee to remove the hardware (from mc accident 10/17/08).  Scheduled as a 45 min surgery -- ended up 2 1/2 hours.  They found more damage not addressed at the time of the accident.  Put me back on crutches for 6 weeks with NO load bearing on the right leg (pita~!!!).  From there I spent a week on a cane, and have been walking on my own for barely 2 weeks now. 

I watched the thread, kept thinking about it, but just couldn't.  I really wanted to be there with you'all.  I took my first unaided walk around the block 3 days ago.  THAT felt good. 

OK.  I get it on the shirts.   :2vrolijk_21:

Should have came over in the evening.  Right up the road and the lounge had very comfortable booths.  You missed a great time with great people. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »

Dang, I didn't know they were so available or affordable either!  Whoa!  "This is way cool" as my son would say! 
NOW I might not have to give up riding during daylight hours, after all!!!  Woooo hooooo!   :bananarock:
Photosensitivity is a big problem for me.  After a day in the sun, I can expect a "flare" within a few days.  I bathe in sunscreen and wear long sleeves - without smelling sweet - at all times now when outside!  Also switched to a fullface helmet to protect my face.  I feel like a sportbike rider in full racing gear.  CRAZY!

I need to order several of these shirts and see how they work! 
Did you ever find out what shirts Ridin Ruby was talking about specifically?  Let me know how you like the ones you ordered. 
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »

We got two of the shirts that we ordered from one of the companies.  This material is called Solumbra and they told me it's a nylon based product.  The web site says that they fit "loose" and do not need to be ordered extra large....believe that!  The netting in the arm pits and half way down the inside of the arms is pretty cool.  I think that will be real helpful on the bike, holding onto the handlebars.  Kind of like not wearing a shirt. :nixweiss:

I will say that when I tried it on I thought that I looked like a geek but Terrie thought that mine fit a lot better than hers fit her. :nixweiss:  Hey, we're after comort not the look good.  Like she said "we'll never see any of those people again!". :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 09:57:41 AM »

I have 6 assorted shirts made from this material.  Comfort is A+ in Arizona. Style...forgetaboutit.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 01:57:14 AM »

Well, it was 107F in Sacramento today and Terrie got heat sickness really bad.........so the plans for Ariz. are cancelled.  We're going to go a different direction where it's cooler. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 02:01:42 AM »

Wow 107, Hope she is feeling better. Well new excitement as new plans are made.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »

We got the solumbra shirt just before we left.  Terrie brought hers, expecting it to be very hot here in the valley on our return.  It was up over 100F on our last day and she wore this shirt.

She's already loving this shirt.  Not for it's looks or fashion but for the sun protecion factor and due to the vented arms, it's much cooler and lighter than a cotton shirt.  One of the features that I noticed right away is that it rolls up into almost nothing.....so it's great for packing.

We got this shirt in white.....would probably go with the blue the next time.......  http://www.sunprecautions.com/product.asp?itemno=1200K09+XS+WHT&CAT=sh&SUBCAT=0s

West Coast GTG   

Bull_Duck

• FL

• CVO1: 2008 Dyna FXDSE2 105th Anniversary - Copper Metallic & Black
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »

I've used ...Sunbrella and ...  REI ...  They work well but the best part is their comfort.  It's like riding topless which feels pretty good when it's over 90.  Highly recommend.

:2vrolijk_21: Sunbrella or REI
2000 Deuce, Screamin' Eagle # Tangerine Paint Set
2008 FXDSE2 105th Anniversary CVO Dyna
2008 FLTR 105th Anniversary Road Glide

Zoe ONeill

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 07:26:40 PM »

My cousin in Australia sent me some Hot to Trot shirts. They were originally made for horse riding but I find them perfect.
Super light, breathable and the UV factor doesn't wash out as it is in the weave of the fabric. Their website is wwwhotto.com.au
Only for the ladies at the moment!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »

We ended up with several different brands of sun protection (UVA and UVB) shirts last summer.  While there were a couple that are more attractive, hands down, this shirt does the best and keeps you the coolest (as long as you're moving and don't have anything on under it!)......   http://www.sunprecautions.com/product.asp?itemno=1200W10+XS+STN&CAT=sh&SUBCAT=0s

A feature that this shirt has the none of the others do is that it has a mesh vent from under the arm pit that V's all the way down to the wrist.  So when your hands are on the grips, you have air blowing into your shirt and at your arm pits and down your stomach and back as well as down your arms! 

I wore this shirt in triple digit temps yesterday and while my helmet and jeans were sweat soaked, no sweat on my upper body.  Still miserable riding in those kind of temps but was much more comfortable than usual, riding in that kind of heat. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »

We ended up with several different brands of sun protection (UVA and UVB) shirts last summer.  While there were a couple that are more attractive, hands down, this shirt does the best and keeps you the coolest (as long as you're moving and don't have anything on under it!)......   http://www.sunprecautions.com/product.asp?itemno=1200W10+XS+STN&CAT=sh&SUBCAT=0s

A feature that this shirt has the none of the others do is that it has a mesh vent from under the arm pit that V's all the way down to the wrist.  So when your hands are on the grips, you have air blowing into your shirt and at your arm pits and down your stomach and back as well as down your arms! 

I wore this shirt in triple digit temps yesterday and while my helmet and jeans were sweat soaked, no sweat on my upper body.  Still miserable riding in those kind of temps but was much more comfortable than usual, riding in that kind of heat. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

JC-
You ordered this in Large or XL??

Thanks, bob

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »

I wear an XL in t-shirts and ordered this the same but they fit much larger (baggy) than a t-shirt.  The web site says they're supposed to fit loose.....that's part of the comfort when you get moving and get the air flowing through.

Like IROAR says above........the comfort can't be beat but you're sure not going to win any fashion show in it. :nervous:  When it's that damn hot out there, who cares about looks.......I'm old enough now that comfort and function has first priority over the "look cool".

It's kind of like the Original Swat boots.........when I find a product that stands out leaps and bounds above everything else I've tried all my life, just want to share that with the others.

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 08:09:40 PM »

UV Protection...what is that?

;)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »

UV Protection...what is that?

;)

It's what you were missing when you pulled in to the dealership in Miami in 08 :huepfenlol2:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22702.msg365008#msg365008

West Coast GTG   

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »

Go into the cabellas catalog and pick up a columbia or other manufacturers long sleeve fishing shirt. They are spf rated, have a vent back and are light weight. Pick a light color. In the hot weather a long sleeve shirt traps the sweat onto your shirt and actually cools you down. A short sleeve shirt lets the sweat evaporate from your skin when you're riding making you dehydrate faster. Also, when you stop for a gas break, buy an extra bottle of water and pour it all over your shirt. When you hit the road it will feel like you have air conditioning!!!!
dave29

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »

The cotton works well until it wicks up all your moisture causing the fibers to swell closed giving you a clammy feeling. The newer materials the fibers don't swell closed allowing for better evaporation.

When its extremely hot you want to control the convection heating caused by the wind. The wind dries the sweat so fast it doesn't have time to cool and the heat carried in the wind then begins to cook you.

For instance a 5mph wind in 100 degree heat may cool you while a 30+ mph wind in 100 degree heat will cook you. (Windspeed doing 70 mph on a bike with windshield is what?)

Thermal (Under Armor) gear that wicks the moisture away from your body worn under a light colored shirt that slows the 80 mph wind down to 5-20 mph in 100 degree temps should be more comfortable, especially in humid areas like the Gulf States. (Use a buttoned sleeved shirt where you can control the wind using the buttons to control the long sleeved opening. Same as a vent in the helmet). The newer nylon materials also wash out and air dry many times faster than cotton. Wash it, roll it in a towel, ring it, unroll it, and hang/lay it. There are also garments to help minimize crotch rot (has silver molecules embedded for control of bacteria). Sunburn never feels good so long sleeves helps with that.

Another is liquids for sweating, 85 degrees may require 1 quart an hour while 100 degrees may require 4+ quarts an hour. (This is for long day rides). Freezing drinks makes them more refreshing but you need liquid volume. You can't get volume if it's frozen in the bottle, mix an unfrozen drink into the frozen if need be. Get liquid volume. Drink on a schedule because it's too late once you're feeling thirsty. Drinking large volumes of just plain water that quickly can flush out vital nutrients from your body causing drowning. (Happens at marathon runs.) You need to add supplements like those in Sports Drinks, V-8, and Fruit Drinks. Use additional (not tons) salt when sweating heavily and drinking large volumes as it will flush out quickly. Potassium in bananas helps prevent muscle cramping. Think to use them ahead (BREAKFAST) so they're there when your body wants them. Provide nutrients before your body starts shutting down because it is lacking them. Definitely use supplements if you start feeling symptoms.

Acclimate days in advance. Don't sit in a 74 degree office the weeks before a ride and expect to jump into 90 degree plus temps without problems. Go out an hour at a time and be uncomfortable. Sit in the heat at lunch and then start walking in the heat at lunch. People who sweat early are usually in better shape than slower sweaters. Their bodies know to sweat early. Build up your tolerances. Your body will adjust the insulating fat cells in your blood to the temps outside, it just needs time (days). Certain medications also affect how your body handles heat. (They use certain anesthetizing drugs to create hyperthermia to try to treat certain cancers for instance.) Do a Google search on your medication and heat. You may want to limit caffein due to it's affect on capillary blood vessels until you get acclimated.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:51:34 PM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »

Yea, and when it's a 100F remember to open the vents on your helmet, huh Don. ;D

On the serious side, Terrie has a couple of medications that causes side effects in the heat so that's a part of her sensativity we learned last week.

West Coast GTG   

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 04:19:16 AM »

I wear an under armour t-shirt under a under armour UV Heat long sleeve shirt here in AZ and love it.  The t-shirt underneath helps wick away the moisture/sweat from my body which dries from the heat/wind and the long sleeve UV shirt is lightweight and protects me from the sun.
2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:57 AM »

Posted by: LFMC Pharaoh
Insert Quote
I wear an under armour t-shirt under a under armour UV Heat long sleeve shirt here in AZ and love it.  The t-shirt underneath helps wick away the moisture/sweat from my body which dries from the heat/wind and the long sleeve UV shirt is lightweight and protects me from the sun.

Is the t-shirt tight and the long sleeve shirt loose? Can you describe the UV Heat long sleeve? Pullover, buttons, elastic sleeve cuffs, collar style, long tail, zippered underarms, etc? In your opinion does it only work because it blocks the sun?
Semper Fi

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »

It's what you were missing when you pulled in to the dealership in Miami in 08 :huepfenlol2:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22702.msg365008#msg365008

By Golly I think you are correct!

Shame on me!

Now back to your regular programing...

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 04:41:19 AM »

Is the t-shirt tight and the long sleeve shirt loose? Can you describe the UV Heat long sleeve? Pullover, buttons, elastic sleeve cuffs, collar style, long tail, zippered underarms, etc? In your opinion does it only work because it blocks the sun?

The t-shirt is tight under armour, the long sleeve is loose.  It is just a pullover under armour shirt that I purchased and it claims to be a UV protectant.  Not sure if there is something other than being long sleeve that makes it UV ??  ???

No buttons, no elastic, no collar, no long tail, no zippers.  Just plain long sleeve t-shirt style.  I wear it tucked in and then tuck the sleeves into the cuffs of my velcro close gloves.  I think it works nice because of the lightweight and it seems to let the breeze thru which helps to wick away the moisture from the t-shirt underneath.  I actually have rode without it just wearing a sleeveless t-shirt and felt warmer with the sun beatin on my skin and nothing to help wick moisture.

I think I bought it at a Dicks Sporting Goods store or a Big 5 Sporting Goods store.
2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »

When it's brutal hot and the sun looks like it'll fry an egg, I wear my Underamour Heat Gear long sleeve white shirt. It's actually cooler than riding w/o a shirt, and I can ride all day and not get burned. On just normal days, when traveling, I'll wear a short sleeve Heat Gear t-shrt and also the boxers. Very comfortable.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 09:32:40 PM »

LFMC,

Thanks the info is helpful. I guess the company launders a UV protectant into the shirt. Non-UV protectant = 5 UV level protection, UV protectant = 30 UV level protection.

By tucking in the shirt openings it seems you are controlling the amount of wind. Still getting enough for natural evaporation cooling but not too much that causes convection heating.

You will have to show us at Tahoe in June 2011.
Semper Fi

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 06:26:39 PM »

We got two of the shirts that we ordered from one of the companies.  This material is called Solumbra and they told me it's a nylon based product.  The web site says that they fit "loose" and do not need to be ordered extra large....believe that!  The netting in the arm pits and half way down the inside of the arms is pretty cool.  I think that will be real helpful on the bike, holding onto the handlebars.  Kind of like not wearing a shirt. :nixweiss:

I will say that when I tried it on I thought that I looked like a geek but Terrie thought that mine fit a lot better than hers fit her. :nixweiss:  Hey, we're after comort not the look good.  Like she said "we'll never see any of those people again!". :huepfenlol2:

Vivianne and I got these shirts this week and tried them out on a lunch ride yesterday to Lake Tahoe.  Yeh, I know a 7 hour round trip for lunch maybe a bit long but it was a nice ride!!  And the shirts worked super as well.  We will be going back to Lake Tahoe for another ride via a different route in a few weeks.....thinking of the GTG of course  :huepfenjump3:

Anyway, as JC has told us many times........ these bikes are for riding......thanks bro'   :2vrolijk_21:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:42 PM »

Vivianne and I got these shirts this week and tried them out on a lunch ride yesterday to Lake Tahoe.  Yeh, I know a 7 hour round trip for lunch maybe a bit long but it was a nice ride!!  And the shirts worked super as well.  We will be going back to Lake Tahoe for another ride via a different route in a few weeks.....thinking of the GTG of course  :huepfenjump3:

Anyway, as JC has told us many times........ these bikes are for riding......thanks bro'   :2vrolijk_21:

Should have called......Terrie and I were looking for some place to go yesterday.

These are the coolest shirts that I've ever rode in.......very, very comfortable even well above 100F. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »

Heat-Out Body Cooling System now available at 50% discount at Cycle Rider right now.  Already affordable, now it's rediculously affordable for those riding in high temps.

The shirt and pants base layer:

HEAT OUT base-layer garments utilize cutting-edge textile technology for effective temperature regulation and perspiration management -with outstanding stretch & recovery- to provide maximum comfort in warm weather conditions. A precise blend of 60% nylon, 35% polyester and 5% spandex fibers ensures dynamic fit and comfort with essential properties to enhance riding comfort. The moisture wicking properties draw perspiration away from the skin and assist in rapid evaporation into the surrounding air, thus keeping you cooler during periods of exertion or when external temperatures are high. Extraordinary stretch and recovery is achieved with multi-directional spandex fibers throughout for an optimal balance of close-fit and complete freedom-of-movement. An ANTI-MICROBIAL treatment helps to eliminate odor-producing bacteria generated during perspiration, keeping you refreshed during periods of activity and rest. Revolutionary HEAT OUT base-layer garments will enhance your riding experience. Get in to HEAT OUT!

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/base_layer_long_sleeve_crew_neck_top/web1010130

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »

Just ordered the shirt from Sun Precautions link that was on this thread, thanks for that! I have been wearing the Northface and Patagonia shirts for the last month. They have worked great but I am intrigued by the mesh under the arms. I am always hating the heat and love anything that is cooler. Looking forward to receiving and love the colors available (not...)
Alan

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »

I wear the Columbia brand UV Rated shirts every day, year around to work. Very cool, the color choices are good and you can get them at any Bass Pro and several of the major clothing retailers.
Hot in Florida and so far these hold up great. The Under Armor ones may be even better and while the styles UA offers is great for bikes, the Columbia brand is more suited to daily wear to work.  Under Armor available at Bass Pro and every sporting goods store in the world. The UA Heat Gear line  for casual outdoor wear can not be beat and in cooler climates the cold gear is equally as good.

howtodoit

• Senior CVO Member
  • Zion National Park
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 01:51:32 AM »

Both my wife and I wear the Colombia brand here in Arizona, and they work great for us.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 07:30:20 AM »

;) ;) ;)

Columbia, Bass Pro Shops, Lands End, etc, all have "fishing shirts" that are vented in the back, long sleeve, offer UV protection for all day, very cool and reasonably priced.
Fishing shirts offer pockets, extra long sleeves and tails.  Great for bike riding.

Especially on sale.

Wear them all the time in the humid South Texas heat and sun.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »

The only thing I've found wrong with wearing the loose-fitting fishing shirts on a bike is the 'flapping' (esp. the collar) which will tire you out rapidly.  Better stick with clothes that are more aero on the bike.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »

I wear a white Under Armor Heat Gear shirt that fits just slightly loose, but not too loose, and it does a nice job of blocking the sun off your arms and will keep you cooler than wearing a t-shirt.  NOTHING will keep you cool when it's 100 degrees with 70% humidity...you're going to sweat, but at least you won't get sunburned too.

As Spydy said, unless the collar has button downs or velcro to keep it from flapping, it can get on your nerves after a while.  I wear the Columbia and the Patagonia "fishing" shirts for other outdoor activities.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »

The collars on the Columbia and the button up UA's have velcro to keep the collar from flapping. Velcro is located where the buttons would be on a regular button down shirt. Works good. Also HD Has some micro fiber shirts now, I bought a white one recently, nice piece but more pricey than Columbia.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »

The collars on the Columbia and the button up UA's have velcro to keep the collar from flapping. Velcro is located where the buttons would be on a regular button down shirt. Works good. Also HD Has some micro fiber shirts now, I bought a white one recently, nice piece but more pricey than Columbia.

If it has HD written on it anywhere, there's a 50% upcharge  ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 21 queries.